VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed at length here, but I was wondering if this was possible into a 1984 GTI. I want to avoid any electronics/computers. The reason for wanting to avoid computers is that I was able to convince my wife to let me buy the car so that we would have at least one car without a computer. Don't ask why.
Thus, only way I will be allowed the funds to do a 16v swap is if I go with the CIS. Needs to be road legal, so carbs are out as well. Thanks,
- Marc

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: 16v Swap using stock CIS (rippinGTI)

mine is using the "euro" early cis, and no pings, i run premium though
J

·
Registered
3,293 Posts

mine uses the setup you want to use. I have had it for 3 years without problems up until recently----but seemingly not with the injection. Your car does have a sort of computer believe it or not. It is the oxygen sensor control unit which speaks for itself. It also runs the frequency valve which fine tunes the the amount of fuel depending on what the oxygen sensore detects. This setup works well, but there are some issues you have to sort out in order to get this to run right------any?'s e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: 16v Swap using stock CIS (16V Hare)

quote:[HR][/HR]This setup works well, but there are some issues you have to sort out in order to get this to run right------any?'s e-mail me at [email protected][HR][/HR]​
We might as well get into this, cause I"m trying to figure out why my borhter's car, with the same set up, runs like absolute crap.
Here's the lowdown on the car:
— 2.0 16v using stock Rabbit GTI CIS.
— Knock sensor wired in.
Problem: Car runs well, but usually has a nasty bucking/hesitation around 2500-3k rpm. Has new dist, plugs, wires, fuel filter, tried a good fuel dist, ICU, etc.
What could we be missing? Please help. I don't consider myself a dummy here, but we're all stumped.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: 16v Swap using stock CIS (bluerrrabbit)

what octane is run in it

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

hmm.that the way mine acted when i had detonation, but if you are using higher octane i have no idea.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts

I run my 79 off the stock 79 CIS. No problems. Just wired inthe knock box. Works pretty good. It even dynoed at exactly stock HP for a 2.0 16V and 10 ft/lbs over stock with a leaking intake boot.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts

what kind of ignition timing are you running? I think that bucking may be the intake boot. the one that sits on top of the sensor plate portion of the airbox/fuel dist. Also, even if the O2 sensor is wired in, it still may not be working right. This is the problem i am currently having. My car right now is SLOW. This is because the O2 sensor control is not responding to anything. Its not real complicated to check all of this out, but it can be rather time consuming. Im not an expert, but it sounds like there could be a couple of things going on here. 1. possibly a vacuum leak at the air sensor boot. Those are notorious for that bucking feeling. 2. your O2 control may not be functioning right. I could easily be wrong, but its some food for thought.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Re: 16v Swap using stock CIS (16V Hare)

alright, i'm doing a budgit build up of my 83 jetta, and i have a few options, i really cant have much down time, and i am spread thin amungst my projects. i got a 89 16v engine and complete fuel injection, which is kinda a project, i also have 83 gti fuel injection set up thats plug and play, and then theres the 1.7l jetta injection, which is by far the easiest. which route should i go? also i'm using the 8v tranny, what do i need to bolt it up? clutch flywheel and presure plate.
honestly i would like to use the cis-e but i have done endless searches looking for wireing info, which is not a strong point of mine, and cant fine anything useful.
thanks
morgan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.