VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: 16v turbo mk1's (mk1gti girl)

quote:[HR][/HR]my buddy used to have a turbo 16V in his mk2...it even made it into PVW.....but i would love to see it in a mk1 also.....one day i would love to do that to my bunny.....[HR][/HR]​
What type of FI did he use. I've heard of different views on turboing CIS cars. How the hell do you force air past the airflow sensor plate.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: 16v turbo mk1's (stevelangford)

If only i had pictures to show you the car i am about to describe. My friend Justin is sick, the amount of knowledge of VWs is insane. He wanted to build a fast "toy" of a car, so he bought a bunny for 300 bucks. He decided to go with a 1.8 L 16valve because he got it with the car. He took the old 8 valve out, put the 16 valve in and started thinking turbos. When the engine is in the car the turbo seats near the back of the bay and the throttle body and intake manifold feed from the left. So when the turbo is on, the intercooler plumbing would feed to the right, and down, reach the intercooler then the cold air would have to travel back across the hot engine. So Justin decided to change that. He cut the runners off the intake manifold and welded a piece of 3" aluminum pipe to them, making a new intake manifold. The runners are not about 4 inches long and the manifold sits at the very front of the bay.
He wanted to run high boost so CIS or CIS-E wouldnt cut it, he went with a programable fuel injection system (i dont know what kind). Through this little task which did take some time, he had built a shift weight, done body work, painted, put on suspension, modified a MK II big bumper for the front (with a euro bumper for a bumper rail to save weight) and gutted out the ENTIRE car. He got all new gauges and did other little odds and ends to help along the way.
To make a long story short, it is most fun you can have going down the road and beating some 40 year old man, having a mid life crisis driving an SVT cobra, in a 1984 Rabbit GTi. Including the price of buying the car and engine, he has spent less then 5000 dollars. Anything is possible, you just have to turn the wrench. If you see a little white bunny doing 45 in a 55 near Baltimore, Maryland, and he is waving you a two car head start... i would take it, and dont let off.

[Modified by theYellowRabbit, 11:09 PM 2-7-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.