VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
If anyone has any recommendations for decently strong 5 spoke 17x8 wheels (rules out all VW OEM) with proper offset, let me know.
It's been a year since my dad killed one of my MM A1's on the track, and I haven't been able to locate a replacement, and I'm tired of
running mismatched wheels. They're for hard street use so don't need to be that light but I want something with a clean 5 spoke design.

I miss edgeracing.com

ian

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wish I could find the damn offsets!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
17s as the track setup. OEM Long Beaches (no spacers to clear brakes but i do have 20mm in the rear for a better stance)

·
Registered
615 Posts
17" Exor fit. There was a guy on here selling them brand new stupid cheap. VW was clearing them out and he must have been getting a hold of a few sets here and there somehow.

My Winter Wheel Set-up

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Seeing that car held up with the widow maker jack is the scariest thing I've seen all day.

You'll find that 20 spoke wheels are less than ideal when you're trying to chip ice out of the inside
of your wheel after an evening of drifting in the snow. The ice/snow will throw your wheel balance off
very badly. Big open 5 spoke wheels are best for winter use.
Even my Longbeachs are a hassle.

ian

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If anyone has any recommendations for decently strong 5 spoke 17x8 wheels (rules out all VW OEM) with proper offset, let me know.
It's been a year since my dad killed one of my MM A1's on the track, and I haven't been able to locate a replacement, and I'm tired of
running mismatched wheels. They're for hard street use so don't need to be that light but I want something with a clean 5 spoke design.

I miss edgeracing.com

ian
Ian, BBS RDs are strong enough for northern, pothole riddled roads, are lighter than aristos(~20lbs) and clear the brakes just fine. I have 17x8 et35s with 245/40/17 tires with no spacers and they don't rub at all at just slightly below US stock ride height. I don't have any pictures of them on my car at the moment, but I'll post some up soon. I promise they look great!(The VW centercaps from Aristos pop right in and the look like they could have come on the car)

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
They look like exactly what I need.
But just like the MM A1s, they're not made any more, and nobody carries them.
Finding 5 spoke 17x8 wheels has been very frustrating.

I'm looking at the 5zigen fn01r-c now. They're cheap and light (not necessarily that strong)
Haven't seen any mention of them on the R32, but if they'll clear the STI's brakes at same offset,
they should work on the R32. It's likely they require adapter rings, which I'm not thrilled about, but
it's better than nothing.

ian

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seeing that car held up with the widow maker jack is the scariest thing I've seen all day.

You'll find that 20 spoke wheels are less than ideal when you're trying to chip ice out of the inside
of your wheel after an evening of drifting in the snow. The ice/snow will throw your wheel balance off
very badly. Big open 5 spoke wheels are best for winter use.
Even my Longbeachs are a hassle.

ian
I know...the jack is great isn't it. :D It was me being impatient and not wanting to get my ramps out so that my floor jack would fit under it. As for the spokes....for the price I paid.....it will be OK. We don't get that much deep snow in NE Ohio where I live anyway. Once or twice a winter typically. Mostly just enough to need winter tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
although not R32 specific.. Ill try throwing my 2cents in ..

im going to be running 330mm discs with alcon 4 pot brakes. Im going to be using a BBS RS 17" et 13 and find they foul the bolts around the lip of the BBS. Im going to have to run a 5-10mm spacer in order to clear them.

For the majority of the time, a 1 piece wheel wont have this problem with the bolts, but i love my RS's too much to change!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
17's are better than 18's or 19's on the R32

21 - 40 of 44 Posts