VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about 17" and fat tires.

17" because thats the smallest wheel that will clear R32 brakes. If you did a brake swap, and have 16"s you should post too.

just wondering if anyone is like me, running 17"s on a socal DD. i'll post my car once it gets washed!

please post tire size as well thanks! :beer:

(i guess this is like the opposite of stretch/poke type thread amirite?)

Examples:
not an R32.. but

VWPOPS

235/45/17

ThatVDub:

235/45/17

97Msedan

255/40/17

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I'm just curious as to why you are running 17's on a SoCal DD? Are they track wheels/tires? If so I have some questions. I will be getting 17's for my track set up and I'm curious about the best wheels (criteria: cost, weight, strength, size). Also what tires (size, cost, tire life) should I get?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just curious as to why you are running 17's on a SoCal DD? Are they track wheels/tires? If so I have some questions. I will be getting 17's for my track set up and I'm curious about the best wheels (criteria: cost, weight, strength, size). Also what tires (size, cost, tire life) should I get?
17s because I was having a lot of trouble with the 18s-- I think like I bubbled 3 of the 4 original Goodyears. I also like the look of 17s/smallest brake caliper clearance possible. Dunno why, just preference I guess.

I think the best bang for buck were the Enkei RPF1's for 17s.

I picked up Hankook evo v12 for my tires cause they were cheap for daily driving..

these suggestions are not really track specific.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just got these a few weeks ago. OZ Alleggeritas and 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

They each came with a "Lightness Certificate" attached showing the precise weight. I was pleasantly surprised that they averaged about 15.9 when Tire Rack had them shown as 16.1 lbs. Not a huge difference but still a bonus.

I really wanted 245/45s but the Super Sports don't come in that size.

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Thats a really light wheel, right on par w/ my SSR-Cs I love the tag I'd keep them just for fun.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Last years setup.

15" Steelies with winter Dunlops
12.3" brake setup Audi TT
I needed 10mm (F) &15mm (R) spacers for them to fit. Wow they were light compared to the Aristos and lighter rotors too!

This year I found some LB's for 125 so I will be installing my R brakes as soon as I powder them in Red.

I gotta say I am a fan of the way it looks with the steelies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
I'm trying to keep them. I put them on my desk when I removed them, but the cat thought they were toys and ran off with a couple. They're around the house somewhere. :laugh:
Wait a minute a cat did something dumb and pointless.... :sly:

1 - 20 of 651 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.