VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about 17" and fat tires.

17" because thats the smallest wheel that will clear R32 brakes. If you did a brake swap, and have 16"s you should post too.

just wondering if anyone is like me, running 17"s on a socal DD. i'll post my car once it gets washed!

please post tire size as well thanks! :beer:

(i guess this is like the opposite of stretch/poke type thread amirite?)

Examples:
not an R32.. but

VWPOPS

235/45/17

ThatVDub:

235/45/17

97Msedan

255/40/17

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm just curious as to why you are running 17's on a SoCal DD? Are they track wheels/tires? If so I have some questions. I will be getting 17's for my track set up and I'm curious about the best wheels (criteria: cost, weight, strength, size). Also what tires (size, cost, tire life) should I get?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just curious as to why you are running 17's on a SoCal DD? Are they track wheels/tires? If so I have some questions. I will be getting 17's for my track set up and I'm curious about the best wheels (criteria: cost, weight, strength, size). Also what tires (size, cost, tire life) should I get?
17s because I was having a lot of trouble with the 18s-- I think like I bubbled 3 of the 4 original Goodyears. I also like the look of 17s/smallest brake caliper clearance possible. Dunno why, just preference I guess.

I think the best bang for buck were the Enkei RPF1's for 17s.

I picked up Hankook evo v12 for my tires cause they were cheap for daily driving..

these suggestions are not really track specific.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ hey me too! compared to the 205s on 19s (i dunno if people really put that size on there) its considered meaty :)

225/45/17

edit: why are all these cars black? correlation?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just got these a few weeks ago. OZ Alleggeritas and 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

They each came with a "Lightness Certificate" attached showing the precise weight. I was pleasantly surprised that they averaged about 15.9 when Tire Rack had them shown as 16.1 lbs. Not a huge difference but still a bonus.

I really wanted 245/45s but the Super Sports don't come in that size.

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Thats a really light wheel, right on par w/ my SSR-Cs I love the tag I'd keep them just for fun.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Last years setup.

15" Steelies with winter Dunlops
12.3" brake setup Audi TT
I needed 10mm (F) &15mm (R) spacers for them to fit. Wow they were light compared to the Aristos and lighter rotors too!

This year I found some LB's for 125 so I will be installing my R brakes as soon as I powder them in Red.

I gotta say I am a fan of the way it looks with the steelies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
I'm trying to keep them. I put them on my desk when I removed them, but the cat thought they were toys and ran off with a couple. They're around the house somewhere. :laugh:
Wait a minute a cat did something dumb and pointless.... :sly:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Funny this thread should pop up....I've been thinking hard about getting some 17" and going with the meatier look. RPF1's have been sparking my interests

This thread needs more TR .:R32 on black rpf1's :D

1 - 20 of 649 Posts