VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More information: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600

www.quantumrallysport.com

If you are near NJ, come on out and see us this weekend at New jersey Motorsports Park NJMP for the last round of the US RallyCross Championships. http://rally-america.com/rallycross.php

Engine basics:
2.0l 16v ABF imported by NGP in 2006 ngpracing.com
Rebuilt by Justice Racing Engines after smashing the oil pan & pump in 2007 justiceracingengines.com
ported head -- pretty mild
Wiseco 11.5:1 CR pistons
Stock crank & rods & valves
HD valve springs
Ti retainers
Techtonics 4-1 header
2.5" exhaust
Autronic SM4 Engine management tuned by Franz Diebold at Dieboldautosport.com
Sunoco 100 octane (also runs on 93 octane pump gas)

Plot #1 has:

2.5" race cat & magnaflow 14" straight through muffler (required for stage rally)
techtonics 276 cams
MK4 1.8t airbox with K&N Panel filter
147whp 126wtq

Plot #1 has:
No cat or muffler (not required for NJMP track)
Techtonics 288 cams
Cone filter (was also run with the airbox and gained 4hp with the cone filter shown here)
underdrive aluminum crank pulley
189whp 153wtq

intake is still a bit choked--throttlebody wise but i was shocked at the gains from the cams considering we thought the bottleneck was mechanical (i.e. intake & throttle body)

On the rollers at NGP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YeZNElfsNo

startup and idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VILRqAkv24I

2 plots overlaid :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I like how you're just blasting that Miata in the face!!! That curve makes me quite jealous, and makes me realize I need to put the 50mm and some real cams in my stroker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That car sounds wonderfully wicked. Looking at your dyno plot, I wonder if that car is streetable.
The reason I ask is that deep inside I've always wanted to try high compression and monster cams on my 16v, of course I'm just dreaming... can't possibly use 100 octane everyday...:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Why wouldn't it be "street-able", with the stock intake and manifold, it should be quite drive-able, possibly a real blast above 5k rpm.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thoes are prety decent numbers, a friend of mine have a Mk2 Jetta GLI with a similar setup but using a 9A block and the car develope 198WHP. Probably with a few more fine tunning you can get there. Good Luck guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just getting old:( My car spends most of it's life at 3k in local traffic. I'm starting to wonder if a port and polish is even worth it or necessary on a 16v head with a hp goal below 180hp? I've seen a few ported heads and I would bet it actually hurt their performance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That car sounds wonderfully wicked. Looking at your dyno plot, I wonder if that car is streetable.
The reason I ask is that deep inside I've always wanted to try high compression and monster cams on my 16v, of course I'm just dreaming... can't possibly use 100 octane everyday...:thumbup:

No problem, it also runs 93octane at the flip of a switch..... :thumbup:

Easy to drive on the street. Part of the reason is that I run a stock flywheel instead of a lightened one.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm just getting old:( My car spends most of its life at 3k in local traffic. I'm starting to wonder if a port and polish is even worth it or necessary on a 16v head with a hp goal below 180hp? I've seen a few ported heads and I would bet it actually hurt their performance.
Exactly...that's how I define "streetable." Whether the car is entertaining to drive in the RPM range where it will spend most of its time naturally.

288's? Heck no. I've read many posts saying the same thing...the engine is a dog under 5k RPMs. Now, this engine has stand alone management and also 11.5:1 pistons (the actual ratio is likely to be a little higher, too, since the head was certainly milled when it was rebuilt). So imagine 288's on stock management and stock CR. No thanks! :screwy:

May as well get a Honda and go VTEC! :p

For a race track, it seems like it's working, since peak HP and a narrow powerband are OK. But on the street? Daily driver? Yuck. It would suck getting owned by Nissan Sentras and Ford Festivas until you pass the 5k mark.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly...that's how I define "streetable." Whether the car is entertaining to drive in the RPM range where it will spend most of its time naturally.

288's? Heck no. I've read many posts saying the same thing...the engine is a dog under 5k RPMs. Now, this engine has stand alone management and also 11.5:1 pistons (the actual ratio is likely to be a little higher, too, since the head was certainly milled when it was rebuilt). So imagine 288's on stock management and stock CR. No thanks! :screwy:

May as well get a Honda and go VTEC! :p

For a race track, it seems like it's working, since peak HP and a narrow powerband are OK. But on the street? Daily driver? Yuck. It would suck getting owned by Nissan Sentras and Ford Festivas until you pass the 5k mark.

Well, it made more HP and more TQ across the entire powerband VS the Techtonics 276s that were in there before. So, I would say that it improved streetability if it weren't for the noise of having no cat or muffler.:laugh:

BTW: 11.5:1 is the actual CR and it runs just fine on 93 octane

Unfortunately, the ABF digifant-3 can not handle anything more than stock cams. Chip tuning the Digi unit is more difficult, less flexible, and ultimately more expensive than running stand alone. If you don't mind carbs, they are cheaper and remove the major remaining restriction (Throttle body & intake pipe).

VWMS managed 220chp with the stock intake manifold so we have at least another 10-15hp that can be squeezed out of her. They made 240+ with ITBs but that is a pain in the butt, too much maintenance, and too much $$$...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh for sure. There's no way to get those numbers on stock fueling and compression. It's never that easy on these old motors and a butt dyno. Speaking of VTEC, there's a VW Caddy with a K20 series motor in it somewhere on the tex; pretty cool stuff.:cool: I know, I know, it's a Honda...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
K20 Caddy? Really? Haha...that oughtta be pretty fun!

Quantum...ITB's would be the bee's knees! :) But yes, unless you're a crafted fabricator, they can be a real PITA. They are on my "...if I ever win the Lotto..." list. :banghead:

What's the car weigh, anyhow? 220+ N/A HP in a sub-2100 lb car is definitely a grin-maker! :D Hell, mine is entertaining, and I'm lucky if I'm making 160 at the crank!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If you look at the power/trq to RPMs in that graph, it makes the numbers that mild 8v's make at peak right before it really gets busy at 4500, then it runs on strongfor another 2500-3000rpm, and where that 8v peaks at 5500-6k, this 16v gains 25whp in that same 500rpm and makes 175whp at 6k!! This motor would drive great in a light weight street car day in and day out, but when the canyons call..........:eek:

It is a wakeup call to see these kind of numbers in a car still running a regular intake mani. Again, Bravo. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the car weigh, anyhow? 220+ N/A HP in a sub-2100 lb car is definitely a grin-maker! :D Hell, mine is entertaining, and I'm lucky if I'm making 160 at the crank!
Yeah, my neighbor who's into V8 muscle thinks my Rabbit has 250 hp (he's been in the car), people don't believe it's only 140-160 bhp.

Physically, ABF motors are different from our 9A/PL blocks too. ABF heads have smaller exhaust valves, slightly different valve shrouding and the blocks have a longer rod ratio.

QuantumRallySport:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.