VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so thesteve requested that I post more pics of my money pit. The repercussions if I didn't were to GTFO. Well, seeing as TCL is my home away from home, and if I couldn't spend time on here while at work that would mean I would actually have to do work...here we go.
The car:
1973 Z/28 Type LT
Before any of you knuckleheads say "Where are the Z/28 badges, where are the Z/28 stripes...???" I will explain fully. The Type LT trim package could be ordered along with the Z/28 package. When this was ordered, the LT trim superseded the Z/28 trim. BAH. I don't like it, but I am not in a hurry to change it. The Z/28 stripes were optional. I am the second owner of the car. The original owner ordered it just this way. I do plan on adding Z/28 stripes in the future, but only when the CF hood goes on the car.
I purchased the car from the original owner 8 yrs. ago. The car has been repainted once, but it is unrestored for the most part. Original interior, original engine block. The motor was rebuilt by Bo Law's speed shop in 1980. Better heads were installed at the time, but all the original parts were retained and passed on to me in the sale. Same with intake. Port and polish aluminum intake was installed (port match to heads). In 1973, Chevy went back to cast iron intakes on the Z/28. I still have the cast iron intake as well.
Car as i purchased it:

Car remained untouched for several years. First mod was a complete MSD ignition. Magnetic pickup distributor, 6A box, etc... I think I had the Q-Jet rebuilt along the way too. Vinci High Performance in Orlando took care of that.
Fast forward a couple of years. I get bit by the Pro-Touring bug. First mod was to install a new Lee Manufacturing 670 steering box, KRC pump, & PSC baffled remote PS reservoir. All plumbed with purdy AN fittings.

Custom bracket to mount reservoir to fender.

To be continued, need to go take care of a few things....
Ok, next mod was to get some more supportive seats in her. I wanted something period correct, but that would hold me in better than the stock flat seats. In went some E21 BMW Recaros.

Time for some actual performance mods. I decided to go with Minilite replicas. Wanted to kinda go with a Vintage Trans/Am theme. 17x8 fronts, 17x9.5 rears. 245/45/17's and 275/40/17's.

At the same time I installed the wheels and tires, I upgraded the rear brakes from the factory drums to 4th gen F-body LS1 discs with drum in hat E-brake. Unexciting pic coming up.

Front needed some updating as mentioned a few posts below. New parking lamp lenses. New bumper to eliminate the bumperettes. The 70 1/2 - 72's had small bumperettes. 73 added the large ones with additional holes in the bumper. So an older bumper was needed. Was waiting on gaskets and the NOS lenses in this pic, but you get the idea.

Fast forward a little while longer. Sale of a house put a nice chunk of change in the bank. Pulled the trigger on some much needed upgrades. Tremec TKO-600. Hotchkis upper and lower control arms. I will be taking the cutoff wheel to the factory shock mounts and making my own double shear mounts to install coilovers. The brand spankin new Hotchkis lowers will be going under the knife to install double shear mounts as well. At the same time, I will finish the install of my Vintage Air A/C, smooth the firewall and detail the subframe.
So, I will post some pretty pics, then some scary ones to show the current state of disassembly.

Modified by 91gti20v at 9:58 PM 1-24-2010

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Re: 1973 Camaro Z/28 build thread (91gti20v)

Subscribing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

nice, clean looking car

Quote, originally posted by 91gti20v »
Ok, so thesteve
when the CF hood goes on the car.

please no

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: FV-QR (Chapel)

Quote, originally posted by Chapel »
nice. Needs the earlier split bumpers though.

Split bumpers are not earlier. They are RS specific. They were available in 73. Everyone goes that route though. I have updated the front a bit. It looks much better now, but I refuse to go RS.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 1973 Camaro Z/28 build thread (pontiac)

Quote, originally posted by pontiac »
nice, clean looking car

please no

Don't worry, it will be painted. 2nd gen hoods are the size of an aircraft carrier... I am trying to get as much weight off of this thing as possible.

Modified by 91gti20v at 9:11 PM 1-24-2010

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Re: 1973 Camaro Z/28 build thread (mellbergVWfan)

Quote, originally posted by mellbergVWfan »
Subscribing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This.
Also, was that placement of the Aleve bottle intentional?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 1973 Camaro Z/28 build thread (Apollo-Soyuz 1975)

Quote, originally posted by Apollo-Soyuz 1975 »

This.
Also, was that placement of the Aleve bottle intentional?

Hahah, no, but it very well could have been.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Don't worry, it will be painted. 2nd gen hoods are the size of an aircraft carrier... I am trying to get as much weight off of this thing as possible.

·
Premium Member
54,682 Posts
FV-QR

Split bumpers are not earlier. They are RS specific. They were available in 73. Everyone goes that route though. I have updated the front a bit. It looks much better now, but I refuse to go RS.

I think I was thinking of the 1970 ones:

Are the bumper overriders removable?
I thought all of the 1970-1972 Camaros had the split bumper.

guess I was wrong

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: FV-QR (Chapel)

Quote, originally posted by Chapel »

I think I was thinking of the 1970 ones:

Are the bumper overriders removable?
I thought all of the 1970-1972 Camaros had the split bumper.

guess I was wrong

Yeah, split bumpers mean Rally Sport, available 70 1/2 - 73. Yes, the "bumperettes" are removable. I have removed them already with a new bumper as well. Those pics are coming.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

That is a very nice car! A friend of mine had a standard 73 that he build into a drag car....it is the holder of the "scariest ride of my life" award!
Oh, and Chevrolet totally copied Audi with that grille!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
Subscribed.
Oh.....
...lower it.

Knew that would be coming
Yeah, that is being dealt with this winter, at least for the fronts... Not sure if I can do the back too...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
Lose 3". Done.

LOL, love it. Yeah, the factory ride height leaves somewhat to be desired. The fronts have to be done this winter. I am hoping I can order some leafs for the rear this winter too, but I have bitten off so much this winter on the car, not sure if its in the cards.

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
FV-QR

Its only because you put 17's on it with lower profile sidewalls. Had you kept the stockers, it would have looked fine.
BTW, love this car. Love the design year, love the color, and love the wheel choice. Don't do stripes though.

1 - 20 of 477 Posts