VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
46,517 Posts
I’m glad the oil problem seems to be sorted out, that’s great! You might want to try a little Marvel’s Mystery Oil in the gas and/or oil for continued cleaning. Come to think of it, I probably should in my Bug, too.

That's the problem, there's not many options. RC and Skyjacker make basic kits but that's it. D&C makes the crazy 4 link package but it's not in the budget. I could have the original leafs rebuilt or replaced, but that's $1k.

I actually like the stock ride height, but these springs are definitely tired and the shocks are long gone.
It there’s a good suspension shop around you it might be possible to have your springs re-arced. Since they’d be apart painting and Barry’s ”slippery tape” method would make it work better than ever, too.

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Is there an oil breather on your valve cover? It could be plugged.
I thought it was the PCV but I took it off and the ball rattles freely. Haven't had any issues since the oil change, I really think the filter was blocked or it had started to disintegrate causing a pressure build up.

·
Registered
46,517 Posts
Sounds good! It looks like a ton of fun. :)

I forget... Are you running electronic ignition yet? I've been happy with my Pertronix so far. Some are saying they don't last like they used to, so hopefully that isn't much of an issue.

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Step 1 of the LS swap complete, I purchased a OEM Scout II automatic shifter assembly. This may sound like a ridiculous and trivial item, but they've become incredibly scarce as more and more people swap their manual trucks to autos with an LS and then you factor in all of the Scouts that have rusted to dust or been crushed.

I'm still on the fence if I want to swap to an auto if I do go to an LS, but upside is I have the shifter at a price where I'll make money either way.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts