VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions...
The car will not start for anything in the cold! It came from a warmer state, and right now in indiana its freezing.( it started and drove itself onto the car trailer before it was shipped to me...) I left the car all day in my garage with the kerosene heater on and it still will not start. I keep just running down the battery. I have a new set of glow plugs and a relay that luckily came in the glove box of the car.
Do you guys think the glow plugs are the problem, could it the filter?
Any help would be awesome.
The bentley manual is in the mail.
The engine looks clean as a whistle, really almost new...
Along with the injector pump...

Modified by katakura silk at 2:01 PM 1-9-2009

Modified by katakura silk at 9:54 PM 1-10-2009

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 1979 Diesel rabbit with 59,000 miles... (antichristonwheels)

Just did...Are they easy to install?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Re: 1979 Diesel rabbit with 59,000 miles... (katakura silk)

Not particularly... you have to drain the coolant and knock out a frost plug at the back of the block underneath the exhaust manifold... from under the car reaching up around the downpipe etc.
Still a good idea... but before you do that I'd highly suggest checking out the glowplug system. Specifically:
1) confirm the glowplugs are getting power... you should see at least 9V at the glow plug buss (big copper strip that runs between the glowplugs).
2) if you aren't getting power find the glow plug fuse... it's bolted to the firewall next to the brake booster in a small black box with two red wires. It's common for it to develop hairline cracks... so even if it looks good you might consider loosening it to see if it falls apart in your hands.
3) if the fuse is good and you're not getting power to the glow plugs then the relay is the only other main part... swap in your spare and see what happens.
If you *do* see power at the glowplugs then you need to test them individually... to do this you have to remove the copper buss bar (8mm wrench) and check for continuity, current draw etc of each one.
If the car runs well when warm but just won't start when cold, and it cranks over OK, most of the time it's the glow plug system. Below around freezing an IDI engine pretty much must have at least 3 glow plugs working properly to start reliably.

Modified by Vincent Waldon at 2:08 PM 1-9-2009

Modified by Vincent Waldon at 2:09 PM 1-9-2009

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
did you test that the glowplugs are getting power?
its very easy, just use a multimeter and check that it is getting 12volts at the plugs once you turn the key to trigger them.....this was the problem with my car and i found out after i bought brand new glowplugs

***i bought the car in the summer, once it got cold it did not matter what i did, the car would just crank and not start...hook up the plugs let them cycle and she started right up

Modified by ShavedRabbit at 5:42 PM 1-9-2009

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 1979 Diesel rabbit with 59,000 miles... (Vincent Waldon)

Thanks for the great information Vincent! I just got a multimeter...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
What oil is in it? My '80 300SD wouldn't start in anything less than 20*F with 15w40 conventional Rotella if it wasn't plugged in. I switched to 5w40 Rotella T Synth and haven't plugged it in in 5 years.
As others have mentioned, verify that the GPs are working. How old is the battery? How old is the fuel in the tank? There could be fungus growth that's clogging the pickup in the tank. Has the fuel filter been changed?

·
Registered
6,433 Posts
DOH!, i guess i should've read vincents post
oh well...get to checkin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts