Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okey Dokey, start with one of these:

Remove the ugly part, until you're left with this:

Then get one of these:

And remove everything you don't need:

And position the one over the other:

All jokes aside, this is the result of 6 months of planning and execution by multiple parties, all of whom get a hearty thanks and a pat on the back for their efforts. The TT is a 2003 with an APR tune good for 263 hp and 265 ft.lbs of torque on premium gas. The car needed a bunch of work and suffered the effects of Midwest winters, but the parts I need are solid 👍. The Scirocco is a 1979 that is also severely spent, but is serviceable for our purposes.

The plan is to nibble metal bit by bit until the shell rests in the proper position, but it's easy to tell even from the one pic how well things line up. Once the two are welded together, I'll cut off the huge TT rocker panels and add Rabbit arches that are a bit wider, plus recontoured rockers/side skirts to reinforce the resulting hybrid and visually tie the arches together. The wheels need to be 16" to clear the TT brakes and they need to be just right width and offset to clear the suspension, not stick out too far, and not be too flat and uninteresting. This is what I've settled on for now:

The car will be black with dark windows and no chrome. All black; lots of block sanding...

Enjoy, or flame away dons Nomex fire suit

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The million unknowns make this project an interesting challenge but also create some angst; hopefully things will work out. I made enough noise in the neighborhood over the past few days that I thought a quiet Sunday would be considerate, so I just dismantled the wood rigs I used to hoist the body into position, and generally cleaned things up so we can move about the garage.

As far as progress goes, I didn't do any more cutting, but I think you'll all get a kick out of these pics: I made a little measuring probe that happens to be 11" tall because the body happens to be sitting 11" over the chassis. Get a load of all the measurements that are exactly 11":

Front of the door sill:

Back of the door sill:

(The Scirocco steel will all be removed below the sill line)

Scirocco cowl to TT fender mount line:

Top of Scirocco frame rail to top of TT frame rail:

(The Scirocco frame rail will be removed)

Top of Scirocco frame rail to top of TT frame rail:

(The probe is not down on the frame rail. It's on the pinch weld, so it looks like I'll need to fill in the upper 1/2" of the bumper hole )

Outline of the TT frame rail section that needs to be removed:

Note that the upper shock bolt will remain accessible *phew*

Filler pipe assembly fits into the Scirocco wheelwell:

The easiest solution to the awkward orientation of the filler cap is to swap a mk2 filler door into the mk1's quarter panel and access the TT cap as-is. That does bum me out because I like the quirky mk1 layout.

Perfect alignment of the steering column bracket:

The tiny bit of red sticking out is the rear edge of the TT rain tray.

Scirocco rain tray to TT rain tray:

Frikking amazing!

And finally, overall view of the wheel base and offset:

A 7" wide rim with et 45 will fit under a Rabbit arch (they're 1.5" wider) welded to the Scirocco arch, at which point I can also tweak the TT's 1" longer wheelbase by welding the Rabbit arches slightly askew.

That's all for today, I hope you're all as excited as I am.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, congrats, Mr. Chassin. I've never met you in person but remember seeing your Scirocco and GTI at least once at the Midwest Treffen shows back when I lived in Chicagoland.

You are off to a great start! I'm sure you'll be successful. :beer:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Glad this thread is here :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

... Looking forward to seeing more updates of this hybrid 😊

·
Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,438 Posts
I always, always wanted to do this myself... nice work!

It would be interesting to see if you could use the Mk1 TT fuel filler cover dealie in the passenger side rear fenderwell in the stock position. Make it so #1. :)

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,602 Posts
That's a cool project!

You have the skills and the time to bring this to reality. :thumbup: :beer:

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Words of encouragement are a welcome thing, thank you.

Yesterday I got the shell down from 11" up to 8.5 inches but it didn't look much different at the end of the day, so no pic.

Today I got the shell to within 2" of where it'll end up, and it looks a lot better :). BTW, not to complain or anything, but saying "I need the move the shell a bit" is much easier said than done because a lot of metal inevitably needs to be chewed off and all of the TT's systems need to be protected in the process.

Last Saturday:

Now:

Here's how I handled the back:

I just cut off the rear panel and frame rails, which allows easier adjustment of the shell's position, and when the time comes, it'll be a fairly straightforward process to trim the TT's frame rails to accept the Scirocco rear valence. Removing the panel worked out OK because it needs a surprising amount of rehab, easier off the car.

In the second pic one can readily judge the monstrosity that is a TT door sill. That all has to go but I need to wait until the the whole thing is strong enough. Craig (Shrttrackr) was here and mentioned that he has some 3/16" wall rectangle chromoly tubing from a previous roll-cage project that might make a nice replacement and nicely tie together the front and rear Rabbit arches.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This is just so awesome I can't stand it! My mind has wandered in this direction many, many times but it's a true commitment to do a proper body swap. The work needed to get this done is massive and a testament to your typical all-in attitude.

Here in CA we would have to take a swap like this to BAR (Bureau of Automotive repair) to get the "swap" inspected and smog approved as if it is an Audi TT since it is a later model year engine and would require everything to be factory stock including direction/placement of the intake etc. I have no idea how they would handle inspecting a body swap but I'd love to see the look on the techs face as you pull up in your "Audi TT"!:laugh::thumbup::thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As of today, the shell only needs to come down 1/2" further and move forward 3/4" :).

Good news: with weight on the rear suspension, the ride height looks like it'll be pretty close, which is reassuring because I set the height of the body to clear the engine; everything else needs to follow and the rear geometry has limited potential for change.

Not that it matters for me in Illinois, but the car shouldn't have any problem passing emissions anywhere, even in California; all of the TT's systems are on line and the car can be serviced as a normal TT (except the body, of course).

Today's pic:

In spite of the fact that the Scirocco A-pillar sits inboard of the TT's A-pillar, the flat panel that connects the TT A-pillar to the strut tower is very close to the same point on the Scirocco A-pillar, so the panel can be joined later to the Scirocco A-pillar to hold the car together and still have access to the Scirocco fender mount bolts.

1 - 20 of 980 Posts