VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
941 - 960 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
... Thanks ...
Glad to do it!

The peer pressure to delete the SAI is working because the hardware really is a mess. As for power, I got the TT with an APR setup so we'll see how that goes minus about 1000 pounds.

But that's all for another day, I'm up early to take the underpinnings and BLAST them!

Fingers crossed

11735/2386

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·
Um, OK, wow. Just... wow. We left at dawn so the guy wouldn't cut into his work day too badly, and we were home by lunch time.

I don't have much exposure to industry and this sand-blaster is not like anything I've ever seen. The compressor is a diesel unit the size of a small car, and it blows into a huge cooler/dryer that's as tall as me. The media is coal slag from a 30 foot tall hopper, the working surface is a huge steel plate on the ground, and that's who-knows-how-thick spent media. The nozzle is the size of a vacuum cleaner hose and needs two hands.

Even turned all the way down, I isht you not, even the heavy swing arms had to be pinned down. It was like doing surgery with a chain saw, but all of this took less than an hour:
Bicycle part Wood Font Motor vehicle Jewellery

The rust is gone right up to the various bushings and bearings, but AFAIK the rubber and bearings are fine.

I'll futz around with the pieces but I could paint this stuff as-is and it would be fine. This is a big relief because to replace these parts would be about $3000.

11735/2386

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 · (Edited)
I'm very happy. I threw away the old ball joints and that left witness marks to position the new ones:
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bicycle drivetrain part Rim Wood

I also removed all of those old bolts and shields that I'd installed prior to blasting and great news: the amount of media that fell out from behind the shields was zero and the bearings and Heim joints all move like buttah. The rubber all looks brand new and not distressed at all by the blasting. This was a total win, and as I've acknowledged before, one takes those where one can.

I installed the engine harness and made a little rain shield for the ECU:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper

The rain tray seal is high heat foam designed for underhood blankets.

With that done, I finished populating the left frame rail:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

The reconfigured stress bar looks the part and the perfect airbox fitment along the fender line is just another happy coincidence.

Odyssey AGM battery, 12025/2390

BTW: IDK if any of you have ever fried a turkey but I highly recommend it. Not only is it yummy, but you get to spend an hour in the garage and you get credit for cooking dinner. Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
First off, WOW! Those parts look amazing. That was a huge win, congrats!

BTW: IDK if any of you have ever fried a turkey but I highly recommend it. Not only is it yummy, but you get to spend an hour in the garage and you get credit for cooking dinner. Happy Thanksgiving.
Can confirm - fried turkey is by far the best method.

As of the last few years, more than a few members of the family have come forward with the opinion that they don't really like turkey. So we started cooking a spiral cut honey ham. I'm here to tell you that the family is happier and the leftovers are even better - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not to mention the fact that I've started doing a ham bone soup, too!

Regardless, HAPPY THANKSGIVING, everyone! I hope the Great Pumpkin brings you all of the toys, chocolate bunnies and candy you wanted.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,569 Posts
Regardless, HAPPY THANKSGIVING, everyone! I hope the Great Pumpkin brings you all of the toys, chocolate bunnies and candy you wanted.
Right back at you my good internet friend, and happy Thanksgiving to OP and all the other fine folks in this forum.

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
I just had stuffing, as in stuffed lol.

I started on the underpinnings but I ran out of that tough brush-on grill paint I prefer:
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Tool Wrench

I should've paid attention to how much I had left... The stores just taunted me with an empty slot on the shelf, in front of which was affixed the product label, making its absence all the more obvious. I found one can on-line and it was $30. C'est la vie! Astute observers will note that the one hub face in the picture is black. I've been warned that painting critical bolted surfaces is a no-no, but I can't bring myself to leave the raw iron. As a compromise, I dabbed the surface with a relatively dry brush.

While I wait for the paint, I'll shore up neglected areas. I forgot about this way back when I did the harness:
Tire Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle tire

It's a loop of excess wire that Audi just folded and taped. IDK if they used the same harness on another slightly larger model but it looked cheezy, so I shortened the wires.

12025/2394

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #952 ·
The paint got here surprisingly fast and I finished the suspension parts:
Hand tool Wood Tool Hardwood Gas

They didn't need much work. The guy stood back 10 feet but there was so much media bouncing around that the tight areas, and to some extent even the cavities, got stripped. I just had to do spots that were completely shadowed. I left the areas near the bearings to avoid damaging the seals, but water never splashed there anyways. Paint coverage behind the hubs is adequate and I can verify that if/when I replace bearings.

So I finally have a complete kit of nice underpinnings:
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas Telephone Electronic device

Table Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Building

This stage of the project ran about $1500, which seems like a lot considering how much I salvaged.

I found out that early TT AWD rear ends had thinner [solid] rotors and smaller calipers, so I could try those if my milled pads don't last long enough. It's millimeters but the car is already wide so I really don't want spacers.

The battery arrived so I installed it to figure out an anchor for the (+) bus:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Auto part Technology

The strap is plastic to avoid metal near the battery posts, and the strap just holds the (+) bus; the battery itself is held by the OEM clamp in the original location.

12025/2398

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
The battery wasn't cheap so I hope it lasts...

The cough $30 Haldex oil arrived so I did the service (just to be safe, IDK the car's history). I already had the cough $20 filter and the cough $35 filter wrench:
Auto part Gas Machine Metal Nickel

I'm not sure what the old oil is supposed to look like, but I guess this isn't bad considering there's a stack of clutch plates in there:
Liquid Drinkware Cup Mason jar Fluid

The oil needs to be changed every 20,000 miles or every 2 years. Apparently the fill plug isn't accessible with the unit mounted, so the proper procedure is to fill through the drain hole and then thread the drain plug before the thing drains again o_O. Mine's on the bench so I filled through this oil level check plug until it started to drip:
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part

Predicted fill volume is 275cc and that's what I used (one liter bottle):
Fluid Plastic bottle Camera accessory Table Gas

Then I threaded and urethaned my DIY bumpstops:
Gas Cylinder Metal Machine Engineering

Four more jack stands (total of eight) because I don't want to die [yet]:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Timing belt/water pump/tensioner/idler pulley kit, 12175/2402

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #955 ·
I've been waiting 35 years for this:
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

There's a transfer case peeking out from under the rear valence of a mk1 Scirocco :).

I installed everything finger tight without considering whether a socket and torque wrench would fit, so it took some fiddling, but in the end it all looks nice and sturdy:
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive design

The rear exhaust has a hanger that positions it accurately, so I propped it up and started pondering how it can exit at the stock mk1 location.

It's a tight space but this might fit OK:

12175/2405

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
More CAD (Cardboard Aided Design):
Wheel Car Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Scott cleared this with a quick "no problem", so I ordered the muffler and hanger supplies. He already has the tubing. I can't wait to see what he does because he said something about a Laser scanner. Cardboard and Laser: from the ridiculous to the sublime.

The exhaust supplies equaled the cancelled 5 gallons Evaporust that never shipped, 12175/2409

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #957 ·
I installed the right side rear end:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

I fiddled a lot because I don't know the correct assembly order.

But it all came together and I finally could install a wheel with a jack under it to approximate the car's weight:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

This is a relief: I already have the lowest spring option so if the car sat high, that would have been a problem. The way it is, I can adjust the height with a spacer, install adjustable arms to get it aligned, etc... phew.

I was worried that the swing arms would hang down below the rockers in an unsightly manner, but that's thankfully a non-issue. I'd prefer the wheels tuck another inch but that's not possible without major suspension modifications.

12175/2413

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #959 ·
I hope you find this last "refresh" worthwhile:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The only thing that could possibly make the a$$ of a mk1 look better is a set of fat tires with all of the hardware to drive them :).

Here's a swing arm assembled:
Automotive tire Cabinetry Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

The collar on the lower shock bolt is the provision for a drop link, if I re-install the rear sway bar.

The rear brakes are the same size as the fronts on a 16V:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Kitchen utensil Tobacco Gas

The swing arm doesn't look out of place:
Hood Wood Automotive tire Glove Bumper

Yum:
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Bicycle fork Bicycle part Bumper

Access to the upper shock bolt is no problem:
Tints and shades Electric blue Auto part Fixture Automotive exterior

The only unpleasant surprise was the new brake hoses. The two sides came in identical boxes; one fit fine and for the other, I had to use a step drill to enlarge the bracket holes two sizes. WTF?

Front suspension tomorrow, 12175/2416

941 - 960 of 967 Posts