VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1980 caddy restoration / aeb 20v project (Now VRT)

Edit: this project evolved into something completely different because my VR6:heart: was too great.

Apparently, a vr6t wagon isn't the most economical solution for a 65mile (round trip) commute, nor is a 1997 4.3l GMC Sonoma; They both average 18-21mpg. So..

Traded the Sonoma to my coworker for his 1980 caddy:

Been sitting in his driveway under a tree for the past.. 10years? Anyways, nothing original being done here:

Engine: 1.8t AEB w/ either a fmic or awic(have one from a past project) and maybe a chip.
Electrical: complete conversion (fusebox, wiring, etc from my 99 Passat donor)
Suspension: stock shocks & springs w/ balljoint and plate drops
Exhaust: recycling from the donor
Brakes: vented GTi front discs & stock rear drums
Wheels: something 14" 4x100
Color: exterior - don't know yet, interior & engine bay - black

:wave:
-dave

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies!

Keeping the westy, but still not sure about the yellow.

my workspace (also a work in progress):

Motor out and the only(I think) stuff I'm salvaging is the non-ac pulleys for my buddy's GTi:

New ride height:

:laugh:

-dave

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Dave!

Wanna donate those front springs for my 77?

-Matias (the guy you got those bumpers from, remember?) :laugh:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
wow, you have a good memory! And yes, I remember. However, plan on keeping stock suspension. :(
ah. no worries. if you need any odd bits or anything, let me know. I have a whole lotta nonsense in my garage, as usual.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now that the beta for bf3 is closed..:laugh: I got back to work for about an hour: removed dash, heatbox, interior wiring, and a few engine bay stuffs.

gotta remove a few more bits and sort the keep/trash piles before I can get some real progress done.

nothing special, 99' aeb passat.

$800; 100k miles w/ a bad auto. not too bad.

-dave

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally getting back to this project! However, going a completely different direction with it (VRT instead of 1.8t).

My story:

I was unaware of the VR6 kit made by Eurowise at the time I bought the 1.8t donor. And my B4 wagon (vrt) was also my only vehicle.

So, upon discovering the existence of the kit (and acquiring another daily), I parted the 1.8t donor out and bought the Eurowise kit. I could have spent a weekend or two making my own mounts, but considering the beefy axles which come with it (and my time), it's a pretty damn good price.

About every 6months I would break an axle. Double stock hp (coupled with a torsen) eats axles on my commute. I was doing close to 400 miles a week for a couple years on mountian roads (live in Santa Cruz mountains - work in San Jose).

This 96 B4 chassis is done anways; It was an east coast car with rust everywhere. Served me well, but everything apart from the Bilstein/GC setup (and the motor) is broken or worn out.

Besides the occasional axle break :laugh:, I've never been stranded at over 30k miles on this setup.

-dave

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
fuk both the aeb and the vr6. go AWP or go TDi.

you said commuter car and ease..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meh, other than a pre-98ish TDi either of your suggestions aren't really any easier. Plus, TDi's are stupid expensive. In terms of a swap with custom mounts, the VRT is the easiest in my situation.

prolly get a couple more mpg's w the weight loss, but I'm over gas mileage anyways.

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
awp is actually more straight forward than aeb, saves room and had more parts really available. mounts are sold here and available as well. there are more of them out there and will be reliable and fun as all hell as well as getting 30+mpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's looking like I am very uninformed swap wise these days. But, to tell you the truth, I'm just so familiar with 12valves. I've done pretty much everything to these things so they get fixed pretty quick. I'm at a point where I don't want to spend time learning(slow learner) how to fix car stuff.

proof of progress:

degreased and walnut shell blasted.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Trying to get engine test fit #1 by this Sunday.

Just need to put the spindles/shocks/wheels back on:

Gotta disconnect the exhaust, axles, clutch line, and couple other bits still:

1 - 20 of 355 Posts