VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
lol yes, additional retard is how I got it to stop knocking all the time; any more and it falls flat on its face.

I'm in the exact scenario as the o.p..: my 2H uses a points distributor from a 1980 Scirocco and the curve just isn't right.

That's why I think the lower compression JH is better for him (if he has to chose between the two).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Back in the late 1980's we were doing a 1.8 swap into these early cars every week.
Agreed that an 8 valve 1.8 out of an A1 chassis car (later Scirocco, Rabbit GTI) is the easiest swap possible, and definitely worth doing.
The only reason I have not done this on my 1981 S is that I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, and I have the 1980 with the AWW engine in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish mine had ac. Im currently restoring my 77 scirocco. Vintage rubber is the plqce to go for the window seals.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I purchased a complete kit from Vintage Rubber and most of it is OK but the door deflectors are dubious. I asked them how I was supposed to get the hard plastic to stay on the car. No answer. I had other questions for them but after the sale, they refuse to respond to my questions. Also, not included in the "complete" was the inside the door window guides not did they provide the U-shaped trim that goes over the body seam around the doors. Except for the door deflectors, what you get is good. However, it is not complete.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Awesome! Brings back memories and so cool that you are doing this as a project with your daughter!

Reactions: rokano

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
For the 1.8 engine, any sources that you might recommend?

Thanks!
Joe
Where are you located, Joe? I have a balanced 1.8 with about 90 k on it, AND a 2.0 with a 1.8 head and roughly 82 k on it. The 1.8 was used in an 86 GTI, so the injector adapters will fit those the Scirocco uses.

Either would suit you IF not too many miles separate us…

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
The 1.8 out of the 86 GTI would be perfect and with 90,000 miles it's almost done breaking in lol. Literally all you'd need is the upper radiator hose that goes with it. Everything else from the original 1.7 will fit and it will run perfectly with the original analog injection and ignition systems.

AFAIK the 2.0 is taller and would need a longer exhaust downpipe, plus hood clearance might be an issue (the hood line on a 75-81 Scirocco is the lowest of all the A1 cars).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello forum!

My daughter and I have decided to do a complete restoration of a 1980 MK1 Scirocco. I bought this off of ebay in 2019 and drove it for a bit but realized that it needed some major TLC. This was originally a California car so fortunately rust has not been too bad.

This thread is to document the teardown and (hopefully) restoration.

Currently, we are considering as close to a period correct restoration as possible depending on parts availability etc. Thought about engine swaps but right now thinking that we will rehab the original 1.6L. Open to suggestions, however.

Since this is the first time either of us has embarked on a project like this, any feedback or help from the forum would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe
Wishing you great success with this fun project. This will be wonderful to keep it alive and "new".
Engine options are plentiful and if it were me I would probably try to locate a 1983 GTI 1.8 engine & transmission to install. It would provide you with good power, nice torque, almost perfect original look except where the upper radiator hose exits of the cylinder head. I believe that this vintage engine still has the solid lifters with shims giving you the same sound as the original 1.6l engine. I believe the 1984 GTI 1.8 engine went with hydraulic lifters.
I installed one of the '83 GTI engines in my '83 Audi 4000S back in 1991 to replace the original 1.7l engine with a wrist pin knock and I still LOVE it! Basically I like to Keep It Simple Sam and that is why I chose this engine for me.
The 1.8t turbo option from a MKIV would be more plentiful and would give you a lot more power if that is what you desire. You could probably find a wrecked vehicle with everything you need but it would require more work to install in your MKI. I also like the 1.8l 8V engines with its fuel management systems and higher compression out of the 1989 Golfs too.
Also there are different 1.5l/1.6l/1.7l/1.8l/2.0l engines, 1.9l diesel engine options..........of course the 16V 2.0l is nice for both low end torque and highway power. I think I have seen most engine options installed in MKIs at the VW shows.
If you happen across a Corrado 1.8l supercharged engine with transmission ......WOW
What do you want the Scirroco to be and how do you want it to perform?
Considerations.....transmissions, suspension, brake system, fuel pump pressure, ignition system, electrical system, fuel management system, transmission & engine mounts to name a few. I prefer the Drive By Cable over the Drive By Wire to maintain KISS
More power more body twisting but more exciting driving! (grin)
Have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Where are you located, Joe? I have a balanced 1.8 with about 90 k on it, AND a 2.0 with a 1.8 head and roughly 82 k on it. The 1.8 was used in an 86 GTI, so the injector adapters will fit those the Scirocco uses.

Either would suit you IF not too many miles separate us…
Hi Clyde,
I am located in New Hampshire. Not sure how far you are but if it works let me know!
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Back in the late 1980's we were doing a 1.8 swap into these early cars every week.
Agreed that an 8 valve 1.8 out of an A1 chassis car (later Scirocco, Rabbit GTI) is the easiest swap possible, and definitely worth doing.
The only reason I have not done this on my 1981 S is that I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, and I have the 1980 with the AWW engine in it.
Out of curiosity, what is your motivation to keep the car as original as possible? This is something we have been struggling with: do we do a restoration that is as true to the original as possible or do we do a restomod with upgraded engine, brakes, suspension etc. I don't think I would ever sell this car but resale does sit in the back of my mind and I would think an original restoration might be more desirable to a collector...I would be interested in everyone's opinion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Engine options are plentiful and if it were me I would probably try to locate a 1983 GTI 1.8 engine & transmission to install. It would provide you with good power, nice torque, almost perfect original look except where the upper radiator hose exits of the cylinder head. I believe that this vintage engine still has the solid lifters with shims giving you the same sound as the original 1.6l engine.
This is an important consideration to us - love the original sound

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
With regards to 8 valve 1.8 would we have to change the wiring harness or other electronics?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
If you plan to use the Scirocco's original ECU, its wiring should be sufficient. You may have to shorten or lengthen a couple leads that go to sensors IF the sensors are in different locations on the 1.8 than on the 1.6. (I doubt that they are…) The 1.8 uses a knock sensor, which with its ECU lets the engine run 10-1 compression; without the knock sensor/ECU the ignition timing would have to be retarded.

Optimum situation would be to use the knock sensor/ECU combination. I have those, but am not sure that I have the main engine harness.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
The 1980 Scirocco outside California was CIS Basic and points ignition so no electronics of any kind. A 1.8 8V JH with the correct upper radiator hose will fit exactly as if it were your original engine. The front water jacket on the JH is about 6 inches away from the water jacket on the 1.6/1.7 and the wiring will reach without modification.

Was the 1.8 in a 86 GTI not a JH?

Edit: pardon my ignorance on anything but early cars. I Googled the 86 GTI and it looks like it's a higher compression 8 valve, so it would not be a simple swap; you would need to wire in the ECU, electronic ignition and knock sensor.

Double edit: ref. originality: IMO a well-restored mk1 Scirocco will not lose points for having a 1.8. An unrestored creampuff probably would, but you're already past that. These cars aren't like the muscle cars where matching numbers matters.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't remember nobody caring nothin' 'bout no matching numbers back in my youth.

AFAIK, matching numbers didn't start mattering until muscle cars became blue chip cars.

That might have something to do with people passing pedestrian muscle cars and pony cars off as rare cars. A secretary's notchback '65 Mustang becomes a GT 350H. A junkyard '68 Mustang fastback becomes a GT 500 KR. A '69 Camaro with a six banger becomes an Indy 500 Pace Car Replica.

Before muscle cars became more than just old cars that high school students could afford, all that mattered for a correct restoration was an engine with the right date codes. Most real race cars had many engine changes. I don't think a Mark Donahue Trans Am Camaro needs matching numbers.

As far as old school blue chip cars like Duesenberg, Bugatti or any true classic or classic era car, I don't think anybody cares.

My brother had a muscle car restoration guide and it showed how to verify the date codes on engines, transmissions and differentials to make sure they were correct. It also showed how to paint the body so the right amount of overspray was on the chassis. They showed how to make it look like it was built on a Friday before a long holiday to be sure it looked correct.

If you think about it, a car with a replacement engine has been cared for more than a car with the original engine. Somebody cared enough to restore or rescue it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My experience has been you will never get you investment back. Restore a car for yourself and the time you will spend with you daughter, that's priceless. If restoring Sciroccos were a profitable venture, there would be a heck of lot more people active on this forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With regards to 8 valve 1.8 would we have to change the wiring harness or other electronics?
It would depend on which 1.8 engine you want to install. Some use the CIS type of fuel injection (at least 3 different types) and some have electronic fuel injectors with their fuel management systems. Some of the 1.8l engines should also run knock sensors with an oxygen sensor needing computer controlled ignition advance.
Some light reading here Fuel System

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
It would depend on which 1.8 engine you want to install. Some use the CIS type of fuel injection (at least 3 different types) and some have electronic fuel injectors with their fuel management systems. Some of the 1.8l engines should also run knock sensors with an oxygen sensor needing computer controlled ignition advance.
Some light reading here Fuel System
Hello neighbor. Maine here, up near Bangor. Where in NH? There are enough engine options thrown out you here to make your head spin, and depending on what you want, they are good options. If you are looking to enjoy it and don't care about speed, I would stick with the original 1.6, but a later 1.8 JH would be a cheap and easy to way for a bit more power. Great looking car btw.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Use the 1.8 long block and everything else from the existing engine: manifolds, valve cover, timing belt cover, pulleys, distributor, water outlet on the side of the head, maybe even the water pump housing if the hose outlets are not the same size. All original controls, wiring, injection works just fine and sound and looks stock. Only the water outlet on the front of the head from the donor motor should remain.

Good time to do the timing belt and water pump while you have it all apart. Right side engine mount too.

Reactions: rokano
21 - 40 of 67 Posts