VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well start a car thread to keep all my questions, and fixes in 1 spot.

Picking up a 1980 4 door tomorrow, been in a garage for 20+ years so it will need some going through. Car is sitting on dry rotted black beat up steelies. So I scrolled offer up and found some 15" Knock Off BBS for the time being for $240. I can sell later but they will look better than steelies while I'll work on it!
Perception is Reality right! I don't even have the car yet And already buying parts!

After I get it on a trailer taking it to the car wash to spray her down for the 1st time in a LONG time, And I'll update with pics of the entire car. Fingers crossed it's everything I'm lead to believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Might as well start a car thread to keep all my questions, and fixes in 1 spot.

Picking up a 1980 4 door tomorrow, been in a garage for 20+ years so it will need some going through. Car is sitting on dry rotted black beat up steelies. So I scrolled offer up and found some 15" Knock Off BBS for the time being for $240. I can sell later but they will look better than steelies while I'll work on it!
Perception is Reality right! I don't even have the car yet And already buying parts!

After I get it on a trailer taking it to the car wash to spray her down for the 1st time in a LONG time, And I'll update with pics of the entire car. Fingers crossed it's everything I'm lead to believe.
Can’t wait to see it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So trip was a success. Car was 99% what I expect and 1% bonus!

Idk what motor it is? 1.6/1.7/1.8 but it's gas, with Factory AC which was the bonus! One of the tires I bought didn't hold air, which sucked but easy enough fix.

Very minor surface rust under the windshield, top of the list to take care of 1st, along with wax deep clean everything before I start working on it. Along with ripping the bumpers off!

I have to unload it still, but me and my kid hit the car wash to clean the big crud off of it. Overall pretty happy. No $ involved. Traded a 12' Jon boat and a trolling motor for it. Dude wasn't a car guy but had kids who wanted to try and fish. Both of us are happy campers.

Opinions of the car always welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually in the process of deciphering vin #s.

As for the wheels/bumpers I have an HOA that is strict on what is sitting in driveways. Mismatched rims on a 40+ year old (eye sore), missing end caps on dirty bumpers plus a 24' long trailer in the street will bring the letters to the mailbox faster than stink on [email protected]! I don't need that in my life!

Just asked a simple question how did you know it was a 1.6 from a picture? For my own knowledge Id like to know!

Got the car off the trailer, pulled off all the loose stick on chrome trim, and removed all the parts and pieces from the interior.

Dash has cracks, and ignition/wipers/blinker switch housing is removed. No idea why? Tried to put it on but cant get it far enough down to put the screw in. Car came with a Bentley so that is awesome! Interior needs to be cleaned up, but need to get the switch housing installed to see what powers up and what doesn't.

More pics.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
ignition most likely removed because they couldnt figure out how to unlock the steering wheel
the steering locks by mechanism from the ignition housing to the steering column shaft
when towing a vehicle or pushing it around you need the key inserted in the "ON" position to move the steering wheel.
once unlocked you can turn the key to the OFF position but dont remove the key. it will remain unlocked until you remove the key.

also if you need a guess on the bolt required to attach the IGN housing:
M8x1.25 allen head 16mm or 20mm length
DO NOT over-tighten that bitch, its only gotta be snug.

77-1980 are either 1.5L, 1.6L or Diesel 1.5D
its a simple elimination that most 1980 were 1.6L
1981 introduced the 1.7L and 83-84 GTI were 1.8L
visual clue is the coolant outlet flange on the cylinder head being between cylinder 1 & 2
your block probally says "EJ" stamped below spark plug #3

theres not much to write home about the differences between 1.5L, 1.6L and 1.7L performance wise. infact the 1.7L has worse performance because it has a smaller camshaft

you could start reading that bentley
reading the internet
etc

also HOA is going to tear you a new ******* no matter if your car is worth $1million or if it was made in 1939
this is why you bring a project to a garage, so no one has to see you tearing it apart
removing bumpers is worse than spending $20 get a one replacement endcap

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just got to get her shining! Read the Bentley, ignition is back on place. SUPER sticky like a soda was spilled down it. Probably part of reason it was apart...who knows. Semi back together now!

I hooked my battery charger to the old battery, fasten seatbelts lights up! Battery is obviously trash need to go get one. But that's a good sign atleast.

Sunroof works and it's smooth. Realized the map light was pressed up inside the headliner, maybe some super glue will get it operable.

Head has a Brazil stamp. I'll look at numbers during research tonight.

Wiring in the engine bay looks pretty good, a couple of random wires I'll rip out later, I think it's for old radio power stuff. Some tweeters and bolt down speakers are in the car which is funny. Had the same stuff back on the day. Definitely coming out!

AC piping still has a charge. Pressed the Schrader valve and it's under pressure haha. Crazy!

All the stuff that's usually busted or gone is still with the car. Rear deck, with the straps that open when you open the trunk, all the window handles, even have the screw in antenna!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing is tightened up, your talking about the orange grommet on the dash right? I didn't want to put it all together and remove that pressed on bushing again if there is an issue, like why is it actually apart when I got it. Looks and feels sticky. Might have to replace the key switch of the wd40 and white lithium grease don't unstick it.
When I turn the key, the key doesn't return to it's resting place, like it would stick and keep the starter engaged is what it feels like.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
mmhmm...
read that bentley for installation instructions and orientation
you dont have to remove it later...because it goes on first

best practice is grab a $2 bottle of graphite dust
it wont stick after drying out... (because its already dry)

&
worth mentioning you wont get the engine started without the air tube for CIS

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes sir! Tube was in a box, not going to try to start it until motor is cleaned up, and check the fuel lines. After sitting so long who knows what kind of crud is in there.

It's not a carb so that is a plus, but don't want to take any chances until I give a good once over. Az is humid as hell right now, and hot. Might have to wait til next weekend to sort that stuff out. Probably order a few random parts during the week.

Side note...NGK or Champion plugs? I'm a fan of the NGK plugs but very unfamiliar with 1.6 engine needs.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
5,470 Posts
I have to unload it still, but me and my kid hit the car wash to clean the big crud off of it. Overall pretty happy. No $ involved. Traded a 12' Jon boat and a trolling motor for it. Dude wasn't a car guy but had kids who wanted to try and fish. Both of us are happy campers.
I'd say you definitely came out ahead on that deal! Looks like a great car to play around with!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say you definitely came out ahead on that deal! Looks like a great car to play around with!
Agreed! The wife says its an ugly car but whatever makes me happy. So i said i want to swap motors, she ignored me and walked away haha. Guess ill stick with the 1.6 for awhile!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Need some help! Got the CIS boot on, bought a battery and hooked it up.

I just wanted to attempt to start the car, been sitting a long time so I pulled the cam cover and cycled the motor with a wrench a few times around. Thank God everything was smooth. It did sit with oil in it!

Hopped in the car for a few cranks and nothing. Checked the wiring to the started all is good. Pulled the Bentley out...dash lights stay bright so not a cable/ground issue.

Bentley says jump the Neutral Safety Relay, as I go to jump it car turns over! Huge smile on my face obviously, I think I'm getting somewhere. So I pull the Safety relay 2 screws and 4 stake on connections and find this.

Googled the part $60, doesn't make sense really since it's plastic and 4 copper leads. So I take out the cleaner and some scotch Brite pad and get it to look like this.

Good enough right? WRONG! Still same condition no starter engagement in Park or Neutral. I jump the relay again and it turns over.

The starting system is as basic as it gets, except the automatic throws a few tricks in there to trace down.

Any opinions on what to track down, or look for? I don't think it's the Safety Relay, seems to be making contact with the shifter.

When I got the car there was an automatic differential in a box. I'm wondering if they thought the car had a transmission issue, but it's something stupid and easy? Or there is a transmission issue to be found after this:poop:

editing this as I research....
1. do I need to buckle the seatbelt?
2. Should I make the (Ford) relay for the starter?
3. I did press the brake to start in park and in neutral, my brake lights did light up. Still nothing! Better not be a damn seatbelt!!!

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
you have the automatic belts, there is a jumper that bypasses the seatbelt interlock
yes with your automatic seatbelts you have to buckle the seatbelt to start the car. unless you use the bypass jumper

top right.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts