VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Been searching on here for it for about an hour!
Been there. I know that the whole debacle was covered in my turbodiesel Revival thread...

Doesn't really come with two clips as shown, but for $3.64 a side, I feel I got my money's worth.

Got my fat seals from Pelican. I had to say it was for an automatic transmission 1982 Jetta to get the listing.

I have had similar issues trying to search these parts by model across the board. Total PITA. Not unlike the water pipe issues. But, this is what I am here to learn, I suppose.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Found the info from Broke. No worky for now, still will replace the seals since I’m in it, then slap it together and fine a newer tranny. All good, part of the learning!

Post #17 is very clear if you read it 3-4 times!

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
So the link you sent doesn't look like what I removed for a gasket...mine looked deeper than that in the pic.
Threads can be messy to find the correct information. I ended up using the dust seal and ring clip from a new kit and just discarded the seals. It was cheaper than buying those parts individually. My source for fat seals:

I would be interested in buying your FN transmission if you aren't going to use it...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Threads can be messy to find the correct information. I ended up using the dust seal and ring clip from a new kit and just discarded the seals. It was cheaper than buying those parts individually. My source for fat seals:

I would be interested in buying your FN transmission if you aren't going to use it...
She's all clean now haha, i just ordered those bushings last night actually.

Waiting on a buddy to tell me if he has any newer 020 trannys to see if im going to use this one or not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Great news, picking up a 9a tranny this week! Only bad part is need to spend the time to clean it up again.

Not sure on axle flange size, but that seems to be the easier part to find.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
9A is a A2 era trans. Imagine if it had the large spline input shaft…. time to order a new disc!

It should have 90mm flanges and the smaller input shaft. I guess you’ll find out, when you get it….

-Todd

·
Registered
14 Posts
So trip was a success. Car was 99% what I expect and 1% bonus!

Idk what motor it is? 1.6/1.7/1.8 but it's gas, with Factory AC which was the bonus! One of the tires I bought didn't hold air, which sucked but easy enough fix.

Very minor surface rust under the windshield, top of the list to take care of 1st, along with wax deep clean everything before I start working on it. Along with ripping the bumpers off!

I have to unload it still, but me and my kid hit the car wash to clean the big crud off of it. Overall pretty happy. No $ involved. Traded a 12' Jon boat and a trolling motor for it. Dude wasn't a car guy but had kids who wanted to try and fish. Both of us are happy campers.

Opinions of the car always welcome!

View attachment 105091 View attachment 105092 View attachment 105093 View attachment 105094 View attachment 105096 View attachment 105097 View attachment 105099 View attachment 105100
I love a clean early westy

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
9A is a A2 era trans. Imagine if it had the large spline input shaft…. time to order a new disc!

It should have 90mm flanges and the smaller input shaft. I guess you’ll find out, when you get it….

-Todd
He does have a DFQ but it's large spline so I said no gracias. Already ordered a clutch ha!

Plus the 9a says to be close ratio which I believe is preferred by many?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
It may be, but a lot of the A2 trans were 3.67 r&p. This was why the 4K was such a popular trans, with the A2 crowd.… 3.94 r&p.… faster acceleration, but not a highway cruiser. It had the proper case to be installed in A2 cars.

I almost want to say the 9A was the same gears and r&p as the 16v trans, but with the smaller flanges and input shaft. Been a while, and I don’t want to look it up.

You ordered another clutch?

-Todd

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
It may be, but a lot of the A2 trans were 3.67 r&p. This was why the 4K was such a popular trans, with the A2 crowd.… 3.94 r&p.… faster acceleration, but not a highway cruiser. It had the proper case to be installed in A2 cars.

I almost want to say the 9A was the same gears and r&p as the 16v trans, but with the smaller flanges and input shaft. Been a while, and I don’t want to look it up.

You ordered another clutch?

-Todd
No on the clutch! Same buddy says he may have a flywheel also so, I'll hold off til the weekend when I pick up the tranny.

Can't pass up the deal for the price. And he didn't even want the FN with new seals I just cleaned up. This rabbit will definitely not be a highway cruiser, more of a stop light to stop light ripper.

Font Line Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
That chart confirmed my thoughts.… you may want a 4K. Run it and see if you like it.

I ditched my rebuilt AGB with Quaife, for a 2H with Quaife, years ago. I hated the 3.67.

-Todd
This one is local for now, guess I'll play around with it for a bit, only hear good things about the 4k from a few people.

Realistically just want to get the motor mounted in so I can mock up the wiring, and get the correct angle for the R1 carbs. Not taking the chance of being off by doing it out of the car.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
German brake booster, and bigger MC with no sensors really cleans up the bay. I didn't go with the German pedals because the USA pedals had the brake switch that I need for the bigger MC.

Still need to get a few bushings. Best part was all the lines fit perfect!

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You sure that’s a bigger mc? it doesn’t look like the typical 22mm, I’m used to seeing/using. Every German 22mm I’ve used, required a replumb.

I’ve never swapped the pedal cluster, unless doing an auto to manual swap.

-Todd

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Yessir it is bigger.
You sure that’s a bigger mc? it doesn’t look like the typical 22mm, I’m used to seeing/using. Every German 22mm I’ve used, required a replumb.

I’ve never swapped the pedal cluster, unless doing an auto to manual swap.

-Todd
Pure German New Old Stock. 22/23mm MC. Mostly references back to Audi stuff. If it's not a bigger MC still looks awesome and clean.
Wood Font Rectangle Gas Technology

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Got the 9a transmission home today, bunch of cleanup I have to do before I can bolt it on and put the engine in. Also made sure it had the green sleeves so I can install the 80% kit! Maybe by the end of the week (fingers crossed)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Road surface

Gas Paint Wood Electric blue Water bottle

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Had an elk hunt and work was crazy so haven't had any updates until today.

Got the new clutch installed had to order 9 new bolts for it from BFI. 12 point socket stumped me for a day.

Got the 80% kit installed, FYI it's not hard to do but the directions and few videos out there don't tell you not to install the concave washer that is under the circlip. The 2nd axle stub is the hardest after you have pressure from the 1st one that's for sure! Thanks @vwpieces for the hookup!

Got the tranny bolted to the block, need to clean up a few more brackets and the starter before I get it in the car this weekend. Also a little more polishing on the tranny in areas that can be seen from above. Looks awesome toe right now though! Just need to not scratch paint getting it on from under the car with a jack 🤞🤞

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Automotive exterior

261 - 280 of 281 Posts