VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I got a good question for y’all. So I just bought this car and finally got the engine running right but it wouldn’t shift. Get underneath the car and it seems the support bar (this is what it’s called in my Bentley) is disconnected from the shifter linkage. I temporarily wrapped wire around it since nothing would keep it from popping off the shifter linkage, so now will go into all gears except reverse. It has a bolt above it that is supposed to hold it in place, i’m guessing, but is failing to do its job whenever I shift. I’m not sure if there’s a bushing I can buy but pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Passat B2 33b 1987 1.6TD 51kw
68 Posts
Alright I got a good question for y’all. So I just bought this car and finally got the engine running right but it wouldn’t shift. Get underneath the car and it seems the support bar (this is what it’s called in my Bentley) is disconnected from the shifter linkage. I temporarily wrapped wire around it since nothing would keep it from popping off the shifter linkage, so now will go into all gears except reverse. It has a bolt above it that is supposed to hold it in place, i’m guessing, but is failing to do its job whenever I shift. I’m not sure if there’s a bushing I can buy but pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe this can help?
Font Auto part Parallel Drawing Trigger

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you haven't already fixed the issue I used a washer bigger around than the opening on top of mine when i was having the same issue so far so good just don't tighten the bolt up too much it'll make it hard to go into 2nd and 4th

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't claim to be the words expert on the B1, but I know them pretty well. I have no idea what exactly you are talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words. Can you get a picture posted, or at least find something on line that shows the issue?

·
Registered
Passat B2 33b 1987 1.6TD 51kw
68 Posts
Could you use rtv to fill up play that has developed in those bushing over time. Using oil on the metal parts so it doesnt stick?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.