VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Re: 1981 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco? (MattMarchand)

i dunno, i've always wondered about that myself, free bump for ya though!

Noah~(Kameirocco)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Re: 1981 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco? (Mash)

I think all Mk1 Rocco's were built in the Karmann Ghia plant.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Re: 1981 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco? (Mash)

"Wolfsburg Edition" was also a way for dealers to turn average cars into "special editions" by sticking a few emblems on them. There are real WE and there are fakies....an 81 WE is a fakie.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 1981 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco? (92VdubSLC)

Quote, originally posted by 92VdubSLC »
"Wolfsburg Edition" was also a way for dealers to turn average cars into "special editions" by sticking a few emblems on them. There are real WE and there are fakies....an 81 WE is a fakie.

Though so... in any event, the dealer wanted $9000 for a good shape 81 with a 3 speed auto. Needless to say, I tried not to laugh at the guy as I was getting off the phone.
Anyways, thanks for your help all.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 1981 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco? (DriversFound.com)

Quote, originally posted by DriversFound.com »
Better be TRULY MINT for that price.
If the dealer is close, why not play "Torture The Car Salesman"? Might as well enjoy a test drive. When he wants to talk price, write down your price, name, and phone number... and walk out.

So, any car salesman want to give some other evil ideas?

At one point they had the price as "make me an offer" I was going to offer him $2000, but when I phoned he said it was for sale at $8995. I was so shocked that I just said thanks and hung up the phone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have an 83 scirocco if your interested. it has an extra engine.
text me 5099611846

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
clean the factory floor!

The 'Wolfsburg' edition were VW MARKETING's way of clearing out the old stuff before the new came on line.

Say it's late 81...everybody KNOWS the new Scirocco is coming out...so what to do to move all the old 81's on the lots?

Create a 'trim' edition on the last 81's to make them 'SEEM' special.

Considering ALL Sciroccos were made by KARMANN in Osnabruck Germany...calling them Wolfsburgs always was a bit dubious.

I guess it sounds better than 'CENTRAL HOME OFFICE EDITION'.

What do you get that is 'Wolfsburg EDITION ONLY?...not available on say a 'S' type etc.

hmmm....Two badges.

Be sure not to pay more than an extra buck eighty seven.

·
Registered
562 Posts
don't wolfsburgs tend to have interior packages? Or is that going into the realm of "Real" Wolfsburg Editions?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
don't wolfsburgs tend to have interior packages? Or is that going into the realm of "Real" Wolfsburg Editions?
The Wolfburg Editions only came out in 83, 84 and 85.

My Wolfsburg came with a specific interior package with nice Recaro style seats with cloth centers (that unfortunately is easy to rip). My car also has the following:

Power Antenna
Power Windows
Power and heated mirrors
Power locking system (including gas cap and hatch)

Not sure if all Wolfsburg has these options. Can other Wolfsburg owners chime in?
:peace:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have a chance to get a 1981 Scirocco, and was curious, what is diferent in the wolfsburg edition vehicles?
The scirocco was going thru some changes.In 82 they introduced the new body style.
Lets say the sales dropped.So they had to do some thing.They answered with the wolfsburg eddition.Don't forget were in the early 80's mk1 rocco were every where,more than likely.
So the came out with the "Wolfsburg Edittion."They only lasted for 83,84,and 85.
this goes for the jetta and the cabriolet.
They differece's are,leather interior,a 1.8 vs the 1.7,sway bars.They also have gotten a
different fuse block.

The door cards were in 82 to 85.
Don't forget the trantula's.All they way to the left.

Dr Dub is the man to talk to.
http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/wolfsburgedition.htm

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I was told on my 1980 that it was a wolfsburg, wood panel, the wolf on the horn button.

GTI Brake calipers with the larger brake PADS (vs the 1" rabbit type brakes).

I was also told about 80% of them were considered wolfsburg.

Dunno, wouldn't put much stock in it though...it's "Nice" for sure but don't let them jack the price up because of it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
oh, i figured the only real wolfsburg edition VW's were the jetta/golf ones. A way of saying "hey these bad boys were made at the Wolfsburg Plant!"

But i would say you are right about the Rocco Wolfies. They were definitely created to make sales. I find that the most '83 to '85 roccos i see are wolfsburg editions. They usually tended to have interior packages, but as far as performance advantages go, i think only the '83 wolfy had with their 1.8L over the 1.7L. I have never seen an '83 on here with a 1.7L in it though. At least in the US.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The curious thing about this model is that Sciroccos were never built at Wolfsburg, only in Osnabrück.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I was told on my 1980 that it was a wolfsburg, wood panel, the wolf on the horn button.

AKAIK, The wood-grain on the dash and gauge cluster was stock on all Non-S models for 80-81. The wolfsburg logo on the steering wheel has been stock on every Mk1 Scirocco, whether it was the early style banjo steering wheel or the later model 3-spoke.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
The curious thing about this model is that Sciroccos were never built at Wolfsburg, only in Osnabrück.

And they've done it on other cars too, like the '91 GTI, built in Puebla Mexico, as well as the '99, '01 & '03 Jetta's, I'm sure there are others, that's all I can think of off the top of my head on short notice..

·
Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
24,107 Posts

GTI Brake calipers with the larger brake PADS (vs the 1" rabbit type brakes).

I was also told about 80% of them were considered wolfsburg.

Dunno, wouldn't put much stock in it though...it's "Nice" for sure but don't let them jack the price up because of it.
What you were told was entirely false.

There were no Wolfsburg edition Mk1s. 83 was the first Wolfsburg Scirocco. All Mk1 Sciroccos from 78 on except for the Champagne and S models had woodgrain on the dash, and all Mk1 Sciroccos had the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel. All Mk1 Sciroccos came with 9.4" solid rotors, the early cars had the strange calipers (Lucas Girling IIRC) with the little square pads and the big fixed pad carrier. The rest had the standard Ate calipers that were used on all Sciroccos until the 16v came out in 86. They started using vented rotors (with thinner pads) in 84 IIRC. Definitely not on Mk1s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts