VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1.7L with 298K and the engine is making a slight "ticking" sound. does this mean that the rings need to be replaced or the valves? any cheap way to calm the noise a bit? how about a heavier oil? i bought this car as a cheap daily, so i don't want to rebuild. the egnine runs fine and is a strong performer over-all. thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: 1982 8v ?'ss (A1Rocco)

Open the hood and try to locate the clicking sound.
It's probably the lifters clicking away...using a thicker
oil might quiet them a bit. You may want to check and
adjust the lash .

[Modified by Frankulie, 8:35 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Re: 1982 8v ?'ss (gearhead455)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think the 82' 1.7L heads where hydraulic lifter IIRC.[HR][/HR]​
Nope, hydros did not come out until 85. 83+ had the wider valve spacing that required a different tool for the shims and had a sticker advising that on the VC.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 1982 8v ?'ss (gearhead455)

thanks for all the tips guys.
it uses some oil A1rocco. about 750ml every second fill up. ( 1.5L/month)
the car doesn't actively (sp) leak oil on the driveway, but the engine was pretty coated when i first got it, and on the intake mani as well. i've run the engine and looked for leaks but nothing so far. got under the car and peeked around but nothing.
then i degreased the engine so i could start hunting where the oil was coming from. it looks as though oil is getting blown rather than leaking slowly. i did notice that i needed a new TDC sensor hole plug in the bellhousing while poking around so that was nice.

i checked the airbox, no grease in there. i bought a valve cover gasket and i'm going to start there.
about lash. what is it and how do i do it? (reaches for his bentley) ...
i thought the 1.7L was solid lifter head. my head actually says 1.6 on it, but with the larger crank as opposed to a 1.6 block/head crank.
bedtime for me now.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Re: 1982 8v ?'ss (Lord Buddha)

quote:[HR][/HR]
about lash. what is it and how do i do it? (reaches for his bentley) ...
i thought the 1.7L was solid lifter head. my head actually says 1.6 on it, but with the larger crank as opposed to a 1.6 block/head crank.
[HR][/HR]​
Check lash and adjust if nec. with shims. There was never a 1.7 head per se. the 1.7s used the head stamped 1.6. the 83-84 heads with the wider valve spacing are sometimes refered to as 1.7 heads. They all use solid followers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.