VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Any W126 guys here know anything about the transmission? Right now at 60mph it's turning 2500rpm... 5 liters and high rpms equal 10mpg. If I want to take it anywhere far I'm gonna have to cash out my 401k!

In my meager research the B2 solenoid and bowden cable might be suspect. Otherwise the transmission is perfect, shifts responsively and its very adaptive to driving style it seems, but there's just no 4th!
from a google search:

There is a technical service bulletin out about no 4th gear engagement. The problem is the teflon sealing rings on the k2 support flange become worn. My advise is to call your local Mercedes dealer and talk to the guy in the parts dept that handles the back counter (the one the techs use) and ask him is he knows the part #s for that bulletin. Any more questions I can be reached @ bhowardfamilymotors@yahoo.com

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/On_1991_M..._so_4th_gear_over_drive_engages#ixzz1rbAYEaAR

Hey, I know that car. I know Lucky (used to live in the same town) and hung out with him at his shop once or twice and at car meets. Cool car. I was sad when he sold it, so I'm very glad it's in good hands!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Hey, I know that car. I know Lucky (used to live in the same town) and hung out with him at his shop once or twice and at car meets. Cool car. I was sad when he sold it, so I'm very glad it's in good hands!
Awesome, I'm in Sequim. Where were you?

I think I've found that the tranny issue is the K2 seals, very cheap parts but I have to tear down the tranny to replace them. I didnt think I'd be this deep into this early, but I knew full well what buying a 30yr old grey market autobahn missile entails so I'm looking forward to learning the car inside and out.

In the meantime I nabbed a tranny from an '86 420SEL to throw in it while I repair the original.

I need to get more pics!

Amazing pick up man, that thing looks super aggressive! Congrats, one day if you find it missing it wasn't me who took it:laugh::thumbup:

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I lived in Port Angeles for 5.5 years.
Awesome, just right up the street. It's unfortunate that it looks like the city planners big idea is to let it die instead of bring in new business.

Amazing pick up man, that thing looks super aggressive! Congrats, one day if you find it missing it wasn't me who took it:laugh::thumbup:
Thanks. It is super aggressive, aggressive throttle tip in, aggressive shifts, aggressive sound. Its my big, soft muscle car.

I'd just like to say this is probably the best thread title TCL has seen in some time.
Thanks, right off the cuff!

Found that the trans. doesnt have any issues, its so aggressively geared that it rarely uses first, and even when it does it gone in a split second. I think eventually il gear it up when I get an LSD.

Took her to Seattle/Issaquah this weekend, about a 3hr trip, and she performed flawlessly. At 70mph its right above 3000rpm. Surprisingly it gets about 20mpg doing this and im happy with that because its much better than I thought it would be at those revs. The Benz had to put a hurting on a MK4 Jetta that was adhered to my rear bumper, but other than that there were tons of beautiful rides and many thumbs ups traded back and forth.

There were tons and tons of awesome cars out this weekend, top honors are a tie between a flat brown/gold wheeled Murcielago SV (at home depot no less) and the R8GT we saw at breakfast in Redmond. All in all, great weekend.

Ill have some nice pics for you guys soon, just have to spot correct some issues and find a locale.

Thanks for the kind words!

Great car, great find :beer:

You know Wagen doesn't = wagon right?
I do. that's why it's Kampflastwagen.
wagon/truck/rig in german is 'lastwagen'

panzerwagen would probably be more accurate, but that means 'armored car'
there really is no proper translation for 'battle wagon' in German.
Krieglastwagon doesn't sound too good either.

Though, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Perhaps, Sonderwagen? Radpanzer? Sonderschutzfahrzeug?

the problem with those words is that it implies 'armor' and not 'battle'

German is a very literal language... though, in the same vein that I use 'Dreadnaught' for the 'UK' sticker... I guess Panzerwagen would be the best alternative... sometimes I just want to be a bit different.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.