VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing's first. This will probably be the slowest build thread on the vortex. :thumbdown:

Ok. Let's get started. In the beginning....

The project started 9 years ago. Found this little beauty sitting lonely in a field. It looked like goats have been walking over a pile of mismatched early and late parts.

After finally getting in touch with the lady who owned the land, learning that goats have actually been walking over it for about five years, and tracking down the owner it was bought for 120€ without even seeing it up close, with the intent of stripping anything useful for parts.
When my dad and I went to tow it home we brought a charged battery so the lights would work and just for a goof tried to start it and it fired right up :D We just inflated the tires, put on plates from a different scirocco, and I drove it home. The gear linkage was way out of wack an I only had 3rd and 4th, but that was it, the car ran.

After cleaning and inspecting the car a bit closser it was in way better nick than was previously thought and right there and then it was decided that it was just too nice to scrap.
It came a strong DX engine and some nice goodies like power windows, oil cooler, original golfball shifter knob, scirocco steering wheel center, headlight washers and a bag of spare parts (newer fusebox, alternator, fuel pump, fuel distributor, oil cooler, water pump, starter...).

Since the registration for my other scirocco was just abut to run out (and I had a nice little G60 to put in) I decided to make this car run for one year then we would see what would happen.
Not that much to fix up. The gear linkage was just loose, the exhaust manifold had a crack in it, the rear muffler was to rice oriented so needed changing, some surface rust was to be fixed (when I went to the inspection they insisted I fixed it. No natural rat look i guess), and the extra wiring was done atrociously.

Then just threw on some newer rubber, the stereo from the other car, and it was ran like that for one year (yes. Just like that. Forgot to change the 5+ year old oil and belts actually).

It was probably the most trubble free and fun scirocco I ever owned.

Next post: future plans and all the thing that changed them.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part 2: in the meantime

Since I had a working car I started on my G60 project in the other car.

That car was a big pain in the ass. The Digifant injection never worked as needed, something broke constantly, I was getting 9-18 MPG over the whole tank (not a typo) and at the end of the year I finally sorted out the injection and the car started falling apart from rust, so it was scraped (only then did I realize the whole extent of the badly hidden rust). Since I got a job walking distance from my home I didn't need a working car right away so I started working on restoring the 82 the way it should be.

The plan was simple. Strip everything, repaint, add some nice wheels, a 2.0 block paired with a spare DX head and it would be a solid daily driver. My mom's car needed a new engine so the DX was swaped out and a running AAD (close to 3A) audi engine was found.
I slowly started striping everything from the car and it's probably the nicest shell that I have ever seen:

Just a small bit of surface rust, a busted drivers side fender, the goat hood, and a pushed in rear end (all from before I got it).

Then a stupid thing happened. I got a job where I needed a economical car that actually run's :sly:

So the scirocco got locked into the garage at my grandmothers house and I found nice, but non running, VW vanagon diesel.

A guick engine swap to a 1.9TD, a new windshield and some fresh rubber and it was on the road:

Since than I wen't back to walking to work, so the Vanagon became a bit more than just transportation. Right now It's got a (different) 1.9 TD mated to a flipped audi 6 speed gearbox, home made cable shifter, new dash with integrated speakers and 15" touch screen for the car PC, 18" summer wheels, 17" winter wheels... and candy!

But since I now have a daily driver that get's better mileage than any of my sciroccos ever did I can shift the 82 project into more of a track day/weekend toy.

Great looking 8 v! Love the two tone color and grill.
Question: what are the "numbers" (?) Above your shift light/indicator in the instrument cluster?
Tnx. Not that great looking yet :D
The indicator above the shift light is a vacume gauge that shows you the current consumption in liters/100km

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Partie trois: The new plans.

The first plan for the engine was a 10.5:1 compression k-jetronic 2.0 8v with a ported DX head, G-grind cam, lightened flywheel, exhaust... nothing spectacular. I was hoping for about 125hp at the crank. Put the bottom end together, started porting the head, porting the intake for a bigger throttle body...

Then after the 82 project was relived of daily duties I started looking for cheap parts to make it into a high compression, low boost k-jet turbo. Got a nice watercooled K14 turbo and manifold from a a GTD golf, G60 intercooler...

Then after trying to find the right saab or audi CIS parts I gave up on the K-jet idea and decided to go with the Digifant 1 from the G60. So I decided to use the whole PG (g60) head since it was hydro like the block, has sodium filled valves, evreything I needed to fix the injectors, plus it will be a good base if I decide to go standalone. That, plus I got a nice, bigger, K24 turbo from a 70hp golf 1.6TD (terribly oversized for that engine). So now I'm porting the PG head (as per http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?146976-Modified-8v-project-head ) and slowly collecting all the parts to get the engine together.

K14 vs k24:

Got a cute little intercooler from a T5 TDI (stock G60 intercooler placed on top of it for reference). I have no idea if it fits or not, but was free and just a little bent.

Today a nice big box of parts arived.

Now back to the garage, I got quite a bit of head weight reduction to do still :D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Cool build. Id use all the G60 engine stuff(pistons and all). And consider yet a bigger turbo.

Unlike the diesel, the gas engine will really like the larger turbo. A K26 off the Audi 5 cyl works, and is relatively easily fitted. You cut off the 5th runner and weld the manifold back together.
Or you could always go with a Garrett T3 off a Nissan 280Z or a early 300Z turbo. Those work really well.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool build. Id use all the G60 engine stuff(pistons and all). And consider yet a bigger turbo.

Unlike the diesel, the gas engine will really like the larger turbo. A K26 off the Audi 5 cyl works, and is relatively easily fitted. You cut off the 5th runner and weld the manifold back together.
Or you could always go with a Garrett T3 off a Nissan 280Z or a early 300Z turbo. Those work really well.
The PG bottom end IS build like a tank, unfortunately it's also as heavy as one. Plus 2 liters just sounds way nicer than 1.8 :p
Unfortunately turbo cars were quite rare until all diesels started being turbo-ed. There are some S2 and S4 audi turbos for sale from time to time, maybe a whole engine from a old volvo but the prices are ridiculous (at least 3x what I paid), that's about it as far as gas turbos. :(
So until budget allows I'm stuck with the k24 unfortunately. I'll probably have to go standalone before upping the boost anyway.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit of progress.

After a few setbacks

I finally finished grinding the head, tidying up the combustion chambers and smothening the area where the manifolds mount. Next thing was lapping the valves

And freshening up all the threads

Then a nice cleaning in the bathtub

Testing the chamber volumes (more to see if they are all the same than to get a good idea of the final compression). The green fluid is mineral brake oil.

And today a friend grinded the gasket area for me so now it's ready to assemble. Time to brake out the bentley :D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff is slowwwwly moving along.

Cleaned up the hydraulic lifters as per http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/CleaningHydroLifters.pdf

Then I spent the better part of three days cleaning the valve cover, breather, oil pump/pickup, distributor, oil filter flange... Sprayed the valve cover and sprockets black (drying right now) and finally started to do a bit of stuff to the bottom end.

Some 5 years ago I did the piston rings (more so because I broke one of the original ones) and checked everything over. The bottom was like new (cylinder bores still have a nice cross pattern, bearings are good) so I just put everything back together and it sat opened up like that for 5 years.

Now I cleaned it up good, checked a couple bearings if they still have assembly lube on them and started bolting things back on it.

For mounting the head I'm in a dilema about the gaskets (9A MLS stacked). Some say to do it dry, some to use copper sealant on all the sides, some to use copper sealant only between the gaskets... any first hand experience?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Building a car is 5h of cleaning for 1h of putting stuff together it seems :facepalm:

The head about ready to go on to the block.

A controversial choice: stainless exhaust bolts into aluminium head

Painted the valve cover (and polished the VW logo).

The bottom end is slowly coming together. Lots of searching the garage for parts and cleaning stuff as I go along.

Got a free NOS oil filter. :D It will be used for first startup only, then changed to a Mahle.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
progress/regress

Bought the wrong belt (121t), but even with the "right" (124t) belt it doesn't want to go on with this tensioner.

Can't find any 125 or 126t belts with the right teeth profile. A newer tensioner (made for use with the stupid thermo activated tensioning mechanism) has the excenter hole more on the edge so it fits. A bit of hammering later and made it fit the old style head. Not the best fix, but I'll see if I can figure out something better.

Next thing that needed a bigger hammer applied to it was the turbo that has been fussing together for the last 25 years. Lot's of liquid wrench, some heat, two crowbars and a hammer later and it budged (had to take it apart to clock the oil drain right side down since it's upside down compared to the diesel).

Incompatibility nr.2: You can usually use the 1.6 TD oil pan that has a oil drain bung, but the AAD block has more material back there.

Guess I'll have to have my dad weld something up.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
So that Green Vanagon with the Merc Wheels is your? Do I recall correctly and those are 18"?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So that Green Vanagon with the Merc Wheels is your? Do I recall correctly and those are 18"?
Mine yes.
8.5J 18" ET 35 + 7mm spacers in front and 25mm in the rear. Rides sooo much better on the winter 17"s but that's the price for looking pimp :facepalm:

Corny by Tit Bonač, on Flickr

I'm sorry, I don't know my engine codes. Is this a G60 head on a tall block?

If so, you might want to contact BBM and see if they have done any of these conversions.
The PG is G60 yes, but the AAD is a europe (and even here it was quite rare compared to other codes) only audi engine code similar to a 3A, but not similar enough it seems, so I doubt that BBM have seen one. :(

151t would probaby be way to long. Each extra tooth is something like 7mm extra lenght.

One thing I have been looking at is how to reprogram the digifant injection:

This is going to be interesting :D

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=857 (you have to be registered)

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
So, the AAD belt doesn't work?

Make sure you rotate the engine by hand to make sure the valves open and close at the right time.

Since the head came from a G60, it shouldn't be an interference engine - so it probably wouldn't be destroyed if it wasn't timed right.

The G60 block is probably as heavy as a tank to make sure it can handle a supercharger.

Is the AAD block strong enough?

-Eric

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Mine yes.
8.5J 18" ET 35 + 7mm spacers in front and 25mm in the rear. Rides sooo much better on the winter 17"s but that's the price for looking pimp :facepalm:

Corny by Tit Bonač, on Flickr

There was a picture of your vanagon in a street almost night time I think. It was my desktop background picture for a long time! I have an 85 vanagon and an 82 scirocco which is why Im subscribed to your tread!!:thumbup::thumbup::beer:

ah yes... here it is:

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,685 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The G60 block is probably as heavy as a tank to make sure it can handle a supercharger.

Is the AAD block strong enough?
It has oil squirters and will probably be able to handle the ~180hp the setup will (hopefully) make. Only one way to find out :D

There was a picture of your vanagon in a street almost night time I think. It was my desktop background picture for a long time! I have an 85 vanagon and an 82 scirocco which is why Im subscribed to your tread!!:thumbup::thumbup::beer:
That photo was such a pain in the ass to make. I left home at about 3 in the morning (with no sleep and two redbulls) to catch the sunrise at worthersee (coudn't find a good spot to show the lake in the background like I wanted). On the way there a return fuel pipe between the injectors got loose and the whole rear of the car was coated in diesel (sooo much cleaning up in photoshop) :banghead:

The only progress on the engine is getting cooper plated nuts for the exhaust, which no parts store had in stock (and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them).

Got sidetracked by a set of stilauto penta wheels that were for sale.

After removing the paint and sanding+polishing the lip:

Now (don't know which car will get them yet):

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as I know they are quite thickly plated, not solid cooper.
The big thing is that they are crimped so they don't loosen and soft enought to allow just a bit of give becouse of the thermal expansion of the exhaust. Never had a cooper nut come off, but had stainless nuts with proper shims come loose.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts