VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been restoring a fairly clean original 83' with working factory a/c, 5 speed 1.6 diesel, original rust free west coast body and paint. My goal is a fun to drive usable clean daily driver status high m.p.g. small pickup for the wife.

In breif, So far:
1] fully rebuilt, blueprint and balance original engine: Giles super pump, built injection pump replaced leaky restricted unit, rebuilt injecters, timing set @ .95, all new motor mounts
2] Scirocco 4-2-1 manifold & down pipe + 3" SS exhaust for enhansed eXhaust flow & future turbo
3] new carpet dark brown
4] UPGRADED Recaro seats w/ mk2 power track upgrade
5] UPGRADED Pioneer DEH P3500 headunit with 8 speaker seperates
6] UPGRADED LX woodgrain dash w/ 6k tach, backlit
7] UPGRADED Cabriolet console & VDO voltage, oil temp. & pressure gauges, backlit
8] UPGRADED GTI 4 button leather steering wheel
9] UPGRADED intermittant wiper upgrade.
10] UPGRADED Scirocco larger 10.1" vented brembo gold cross drilled rotors, rebuilt calipers.
11] UPGRADED H/D leaf rear springs and over load extra from parts truck.
12] UPGRADED dual remote cabby mirrors, when thru door internal workings, lube ect...
13] UPGRADED "lights left on with key off" warning buzzer
14] upgraded Factory 3 piece slider rear window with new latch
15] "FATTY WIRE" fuel heating system, self regulating with 3 temp. settings
16] sylvania high output headlights and fine tuned adjustment. new headlight switch & all dash bulbs
17] 4 re-polished snowflakes rims, new 185x65x14 altimax hp tires.
18] been locating misc. body misc. for paint soon? Got flairs, [email protected]@king for front euro bumper & duckbill spoiler. May entertain doing newer gti style body kit
19] 5 speed transmission inspected & resealed using 75x90w redline GL-4 synthetic
20] resurfaced flywheel, new clutch disc., pressure plate & throwout bearing
21] factory A/C (re)converted back to ice cold R-12. :thumbup: new O.E.M. heater core
22] new battery & disconect
23] rebuilt lower arms, new performance gas struts & 4 wheel align

dedicated picture thread of the progress below (note: some post answering questions have been removed to declutter and condense)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5516608-83-Caddy-build-woo-hoo

as purchased:
note the driver seat had been chopped...:screwy:

Not the best looking rims. 4 different size brand age cracked tires:thumbdown:

a few spots to deal with this summer. GTI flares await and [email protected]@king for euro front bumper

Next to the parts truck. Up on stands getting variable overload springs

Fresh car wash, Polished snowflakes with new directional altima rubber. Keeping the ride height as it will be used light duty. notice interior in process

I love the built in hold down ties in the bed. 1983 ONLY???

Remote GTI mirror upgrade

rust free. I can't find ANY rust.:heart: Giles modified injection pump, all new motor mounts, belts, filters.

Set of nice Recaro's going in on Mk2 power tracks

Test fitting seat. Temp. mounted on universal recaro tracks:thumbdown: Mk2 power bracket, wired & fired, work much better

LX wood grain dash with added backlit tach., picture is obviously PRE S-1 Scirocco 3 spoke wheel & pioneer system install, Cabriolet center console & gauges. Little upgrades like intermittant wipers, lights on/key off buzzer, recalibrated speedometer to GPS. better pictures soon to come

was going to use my mint 4 button GTI until I decided the dark brown 3 spoke worked better

Raunchy carpet... you're outta here. New makes a huge differance. Pictures to come

intermittant wiper upgrade

Need a set of these in tan :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very good work. I love when people take time to properly restore a car.
damn that's clean. which my diesel was in the same original condition. :thumbup:
thanks

I forgot to mention the brake upgrade:
New master & wheel cylinders/shoes/drums, rebuilt Scirocco caliper 10.1" disc. convertion with gold anodized drilled Brembo rotors Wheel studs and gorilla locks :cool: :D

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Where did you source the rotors and stud kit from?

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
dig it. :cool:

body color mirrors are something you don't see everyday either. :thumbup: (well in the late 80's you did :p )

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
What's horrible MPGs? We had below 400psi compression on our TD and were getting mid 30's.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Hmm. Odd. Could just be compression. We had 360-400 psi IIRC and we were seeing 33ish but I think that was also in town driving. We never saw above 41 (60mph pure highway) before we rebuilt. But we had a lot of issues so not sure what really fixed things. We had some insane ring gap though. Lots of oil leaks. Partially plugged headgasket/coolant passages.

We've now yet to see below 41mpg. Giles pump and injectors.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Thats what I should be seeing. I know I have to bite the bullet and just do it. :facepalm:

BTW how did the 2.5 exhaust help mpg/power? What is your timing @?
Not sure if we really compared MPG, but throttle response was very much improved and you definitely felt the power. Lowered EGTs a bit as well. It was worth the buy for sure. Our timing is set at .95 I believe. Certainly no higher. Nothing fancy on our rebuild, but pretty complete. Overbored to 1 size over, new pistons, rings, really the whole shebang. Head was in good shape luckily so not much done to that. Giles pump and rebuilt the T3. The car really woke up afterwards, for sure! It wasn't cheap, but worth it. Shouldn't need any major work for a long, long time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Love it. I'm jealous of the clean dash. My caddy is still on its original dash and it shows. Found a mint dash in Fairfield pick n pull. But someone thought it would be cool to break it apart to get sompthing out behind it.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Love it. I'm jealous of the clean dash. My caddy is still on its original dash and it shows. Found a mint dash in Fairfield pick n pull. But someone thought it would be cool to break it apart to get sompthing out behind it.
Don't they always? They also will cut a Cabrio top to get the rear glass out...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts