·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
very impressed.
thanks

know of any tailgates for sale?
No.sorry

looks like those super long U bolts would bottom out before helper spring or bump stop would help.

I have adjustable helper springs on my caddy that mount under the leafs & you don't need longer U bolts

BTW i have a set of stock U bolts, nuts & plates if you in need
You're right, I have got those trimmed since the picture. Thanks for the offer tho.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
What Recaros are those? What vehicle did you get them out of? Are you still looking for tan armrests? Love the Interior!
Thanks for the complament. I bought the Recaro's from someone here on the Vortex, not sure what Recaro's they are but they fit the truck nice. I would like to find tan armrest, but in the longer type. I have a set of the longer type but they are brown...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
My progress may be slow but it's steady...?:rolleyes:

A few new items are as follows.

1] A factory O.E.M. 3 peice rear window install. This 3 peice works SOOO much better than the 4 peice aftermarket slider I've had in the past. Restored with the "tint mural" and new latch.

2] I FINALLY got my "FATTY WIRES" installed. I call the system my BUNNY BURNER. I wired it up relay operated to self regulate the temperature by using grounding/heat sensing switches. It has 3 temperature rated thermo switches to fine tune diferent needs. It is back lit to go on when the lights are on and second main light that goes on the system has key on power AND also is activated. I plan on not only using this system to burn alternative fuels that need to be thinned down to burn efficently but also IF there are any issues I can work them out this is a much more forgiving vehicle than my TDI Passat, which I will be doing next. So far I've seen a huge improvement in start up and drivability. It easily cruises @ 70 mph, I haven't got many test miles on it yet. This is on Safeway diesel fuel. I haven't confirmed but I expect the M.P.G.'s to go up also...?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Took the truck on a 70 mile run this afternoon/evening. Temp.s in the 80's today. The cold start up was immediate after glow plug light out and "bunny burners" on, 100% smoke free. :) Used the a/c blowing cold 100% of the time and cruised between 60-65mph, occasional 75mph. 2k rpm @55 and 2300 @ 65, speed confirmed by GPS. Pedal @ about 3/4 @ 65 on flat land with a/c on. The water temp. @ 1/3 on the cool side and oil temp. between 90-95*c (195*F coolant thermostat with lower temp fan switch). I would rather have water temp. up abit @ 1/2 on the stock gauge. Not to say factory gauges are the most accurate though. The added fuel heater was on the 200*+- setting and never cycled off. I may run it next on the lower temp. setting just to see it cycle? Black diesel up next on the hot setting and hopefully slight turn on the fuel screw. The throttle has been confirmed that FULL accelerator peddle does NOT give full pull to the I.P. That in itself should give abit more punch?? It is still a n/a 1.6 but much more pep than when bought. I need to get more intake flow with the MKII TD box I have sitting aside. Any VW guys around Modesto that would be interested in giving a helping hand?

I love the truck and for an 80's vehicle it's a pleasant driver but I think a TURBO is needed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like it is going well!

using my talking box for interwebbing.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sounds like it is going well!

thanks. Slow but steady. After throwing good money after bad (past owner ), I can say it's a solid reliable vehicle now

Did you do the silkscreening on the switch yourself? I have a little project that could use some custom labeled mk2 style switches.
No, e-bay seller with alot of good options
http://www.ebay.com/sch/on_board_air_usa/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where did you get the back glass and did you get the glass seal with it?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Where did you get the back glass and did you get the glass seal with it?

I had the seal around from my misc. pile. The glass was bought from a vortex member. The tint/murral had been around from my "to do" pile when I had a Ranchero.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok thanks. If you do not mind me asking, how much did you pay for the glass?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ok thanks. If you do not mind me asking, how much did you pay for the glass?

I think it was around $100, plus the frame repaint, new latch, mural and install. But I think it was worth it. The rear orig. one peice sold easily for $100 to help offset the cost.

Hows the engine/truck coming?

Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
Running and street legal! I just put in new carpet last weekend.....then it rained and tje back window leaked and put 2 inches of water in the floor board.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Running and street legal! I just put in new carpet last weekend.....then it rained and tje back window leaked and put 2 inches of water in the floor board.

are you sure that's where its coming from? I ruined my paint thinking, that and the b pillar was where the water was leaking into mine but it turned out to be a rust hole next to the fuse box

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, I saw the small stream coming down from the glass seal behind the driver's seat. It is an aftermarket glass and seal and you can see the spots where it does not exactly fit right. There is a small rust hole behind the passenger seat but the amount of water on the carpet on that side was just enough to put a spot on the floor. I will be silicon filling that rust hole until a more permanent solution can be made.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Exhaust

Techtonics tuning makes the exhaust in alloy or s/s

2.25 or 2.50

I purchased two 2.5 systems with Borla mufflers

There downpipes are made for 1.6 td or 1.9 TD

Iam installing a TMI German weave carpet in a caddy this week ( dark brown _

See you at Bonelli

GB