VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself! I just acquired this 1983 GTI a few weeks ago on Cars and Bids. This is my 3rd GTI/GLI car I’ve owned (mk7 GTI a couple years back and an Mk2 GLI back in High School).

I’m having a blast making it better than when I bought it and hope to see some of you around. Located in NorCal near Sacramento.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Hey everyone!

View attachment 101570

I wanted to introduce myself! I just acquired this 1983 GTI a few weeks ago on Cars and Bids. This is my 3rd GTI/GLI car I’ve owned (mk7 GTI a couple years back and an Mk2 GLI back in High School).

I’m having a blast making it better than when I bought it and hope to see some of you around. Located in NorCal near Sacramento.

View attachment 101572
Congrats on the new ride. If I were to go back in time, I would choose the color combo and options of your GTI.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great picture... Looks like the kids are loving it too. I too have the same color combo as your and love it every time I take it out.
They think it’s pretty cool! They’ll think it’s even cooler once I can find car seats that will work in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That was a great score on C&B nice work! I think the PO was on here; it looks familiar. If so, he put a lot of work to get it to this stage. Nice to see so much original documentation. What are your plans for it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was a great score on C&B nice work! I think the PO was on here; it looks familiar. If so, he put a lot of work to get it to this stage. Nice to see so much original documentation. What are your plans for it?
There’s some rough spots for sure, but it’s a good place to start. So far-

I bought 7 yards of fabric from GTIFabric.com to redo the seats,

just did all 4 motor mounts with BFI HD Mounts

did shift linkage bushings

put some fresh synchromesh in the tranny

Put a KandN filter in

put a cam baffle in

I plan to do some period correct mods (dual Downpipe, g-grind cam, etc….), maybe lower it a tad, find the right snowflakes, and restore it the best I can!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I’ve owned many black on blue GTIs, with sunroofs... easily sums up the majority that I’ve owned. Best color combo, IMO.

For some reason, I always use the sunroof on Rabbits. On my other VWs, they never get used...

-Todd

·
Registered
417 Posts
So back in 1983 I went to an autocross. When it was done the local VW dealership let us drive a new Scirocco and GTI around the course. I got out of the GTI shaking and said to my friend my car is gone. The next day I traded it in for a new black 83 GTI with blue interior. I loved the car and shouldn't have sold it, but I had gotten an 88 GTI 16V and didn't have parking. One modification you might consider doing is getting a Weber Big Throat throttle body. It allows the car to accelerate much faster (old school APR), but if you try to take off fast on a right turn from being stopped you get huge torque steer that tries to rip the manual steering out of your hands. I have been saving one in case I get a mk1 GTI like yours.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So back in 1983 I went to an autocross. When it was done the local VW dealership let us drive a new Scirocco and GTI around the course. I got out of the GTI shaking and said to my friend my car is gone. The next day I traded it in for a new black 83 GTI with blue interior. I loved the car and shouldn't have sold it, but I had gotten an 88 GTI 16V and didn't have parking. One modification you might consider doing is getting a Weber Big Throat throttle body. It allows the car to accelerate much faster (old school APR), but if you try to take off fast on a right turn from being stopped you get huge torque steer that tries to rip the manual steering out of your hands. I have been saving one in case I get a mk1 GTI like yours.
awesome story! I’ve been looking at those and also Audi throttle bodies. If you ever want to find a home for your Weber, let me know!
I’m on the process of getting a dual Downpipe setup going - I took the manifold off an ‘88 Jetta to accommodate.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nice find! That must be the one you are looking for the a/c bracket for? I'm still looking for that york. I'll let you know if I find it. One day we should get together, (Hoffa, thegave). We are all pretty local. BTW how does the fabric you purchased compare to the factory?

Patrick

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice find! That must be the one you are looking for the a/c bracket for? I'm still looking for that york. I'll let you know if I find it. One day we should get together, (Hoffa, thegave). We are all pretty local. BTW how does the fabric you purchased compare to the factory?

Patrick
That’s the one! Don’t worry about the A/C, some guy in Fresno is shipping me the bracket.
To be honest I haven’t even looked at the fabric. I’m not ready to install yet and it’s so nicely packaged in the box, it would be a nightmare to get back in, haha.
As of yesterday I replaced my coolant cam and now I’m dealing with a nasty heater core leak and the heater box is FULL of rusty coolant.

Trying to decide if I should rip out the dash or cut it out of the side of the heater box.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts