VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How are things coming along? Hope all is well with the other new arrival!
Going great! Been quiet here, but busy enough on the car!

I've since -

Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, but the new Bosch pump is still kind of noisy.

Replaced the coolant return flange o-ring to address a pretty bad coolant leak.

Removed and cleaned the gravity valve to help relieve gas tank pressure - though i think there's more blockage downstream in the EVAP system

Put new Injector O-rings and Seats in - the ones in there were rock hard and had to be original - leaking like crazy. Adjusted idle back up to 925, but the idle is still a little unsteady.

Put new Idle Screw O-ring on, still a little wobbly on the idle - especially when cold.

New calipers, rotors, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, drum hardware on all 4 corners - full fluid flush.

Took out old crusty disintegrating speakers in front and rear and replaced with infinity 3.5" and 4x6s - removed radio delete

Installed retrosound radio - wired up good but can't find a good way to anchor it behind the dash.

To Do -
Early Exhaust manifold and TT Downpipe with 2" TT/Borla exhaust to go in - only hang up is getting the flanges welded on properly to the new Catalytic Converter

Install G Grind Cam and adjust valve lash

...there must be more, but i can't think of it now

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Also I found some center caps for my Mk2 Style Snowflakes. Still don’t know why these are on the car, but the center caps improve the look I think

before
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

after
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
784 Posts
That was 85,86,87 mk2 gti look. I think they started teardrops in 88. It would look more period if the insides of the snowflakes were painted dark grey but I like the mk1 snowflake look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That was 85,86,87 mk2 gti look. I think they started teardrops in 88. It would look more period if the insides of the snowflakes were painted dark grey but I like the mk1 snowflake look.
Right. The car came with a pretty extensive owner notes, but nothing that alludes to why there are Mk2 wheels on there. Doesn’t bother me too much, I think they look sharp enough.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A1 small center caps and lug caps finish off the original machined face snowflakes well. In your case with the silver wheels I think the caps look great. I've always wondered what it would look like to fit a machined face look cap to a Snowflake!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
A1 small center caps and lug caps finish off the original machined face snowflakes well. In your case with the silver wheels I think the caps look great. I've always wondered what it would look like to fit a machined face look cap to a Snowflake!
I agree. I think these center caps would look better with the silver wheels. I considered the small black ones, and would love to test fit some if I had em!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Well. Hagerty is hosting a CnC up here at GT Auto Lounge in Rancho Cordova (little far for you @Hoffa) I hear they have some pretty cool cars so it might be worth the trip though Hagerty Cars & Caffeine at GT Auto Lounge (motorsportreg.com)

There's also an autocross event at Sonoma Raceway on 2/5 that might be a fun way to stretch our cars' legs without stressing them too much Auto-X 2/5-2/6 @ Sonoma Raceway (motorsportreg.com) Andrew could bring the GTI and maybe Derrick could bring the Mini. @patlew want to run the truck?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well. Hagerty is hosting a CnC up here at GT Auto Lounge in Rancho Cordova (little far for you @Hoffa) I hear they have some pretty cool cars so it might be worth the trip though Hagerty Cars & Caffeine at GT Auto Lounge (motorsportreg.com)

There's also an autocross event at Sonoma Raceway on 2/5 that might be a fun way to stretch our cars' legs without stressing them too much Auto-X 2/5-2/6 @ Sonoma Raceway (motorsportreg.com) Andrew could bring the GTI and maybe Derrick could bring the Mini. @patlew want to run the truck?
I’ll try to make it to the GT Auto Lounge C and C. Maybe I’ll hold off on my exhaust install to make sure I’m up and running.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Is that a retro sound unit?

I have seen those and they looked pretty cool, tell us how you like it.
Yep!
It’s the Retro Sound Laguna (their cheapest model).
Wired right up to whatever wiring was in there for the original unit. Having trouble getting the knobs flush but it’s not horrible.
Hooked it up to 2 3.5” infinity reference speakers (perfect fit for up front) and 2 4x6 infinity reference speakers in the back (had to finagle that one).
Haven’t driven with it yet, but sounds fine parked in the garage!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Gavin when is that CnC event in rancho?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

ooh nice! We have a Mini driving event on the 19th from Concord to Sacramento Transportation Museum; maybe we can break away to Rancho!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don’t know if the truck is up for autocross

41 - 60 of 62 Posts