VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This info is cut and pasted from various sources.

Volkswagen entered the event in 1985 when they built a twin engined Golf, powered by two Oettinger tuned 1.8 16V engines, the first car producing some 390 bhp.
Despite an impressive 0 - 60mph time of 4.6 seconds and a top speed of some 162mph the car was very much running out of oomph by the time it reached the summit. Former European Rally Champion Jochi Kleint could only manage third in class with a 12m 31.57s run, winning him 'Rookie of the Year' for his efforts.
A second attempt was made the following year using two turbo-charged 1.3 litre Polo engines, the turbo's helped at the higher altitudes but the power band proved to be too narrow and an all new car was built for 1987. This is the car you see below.
The third attempt was built to Formula One quality in Austria by Kaimann Racing (Kurt Bergmann), the car was of monocoque construction, featuring tubular engine subframes and fully adjustable suspension geometry. At a kerb weight of just 1020kg it was the companies most serious twin engined car to date.
Motivation came from two 16 valve 1.8 litre GTI engines, each powered by KKK turbochargers and producing 320bhp. The engines were mounted longitudinally to allow for the fitting of Hewland five speed gearboxes.
Alas half way through his race run Kleint felt the handling of the car go awry, a broken rose joint in the front suspension saw VW's final attempt come to an end and despite showing promise the team were never to return.

I welcome any other photos of any of the 3 cars and information.

Edit: Sept 1985 issue of CAR magazine, I found a tiny pic of the 1st. car. No stickers on it yet. Heres what it says:
"VW are fielding a 160mph twin engined Golf in motorsport events. Built in Hanover, the 4wd machine has two 1800cc 16 valve fours producing 390bhp. The car gets to 60 in 4.6 sec."
Pretty much the same as I posted above. Where it originally stated "Oettinger tuned 1.8 GTI engines" now reads "Oettinger tuned 1.8 16V engines".

Modified by Eric D at 10:17 PM 12-20-2007

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (1.9..16vTurbo)

Quote, originally posted by 1.9..16vTurbo »
that's the twin 16v pikes peak

That is correct.
I originally posted tons of pics back in '05 about it. They were lost when I changed my ISP.
I still have those pics on my old pc.
Original post on the Nixdorf.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1203652

As you can see I posted that this vehicle suffered trans failure. That was posted from information that was shared with me at the time. Infact from actual published information it was suspension failure just 3 turns from the top.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (doc.crush)

Quote, originally posted by doc.crush »
i want it. any videos out there?

Only videos I've seen are of Audi Quattro S1, 85,86,87
Moulton, Unser and Rohrl.
Not a lot of footage of these VWs at Pikes Peak. Most of the attention went to the Nixdorf Golf and can be seen in some of the Audi Videos.
http://video.google.com/videop...di+s1
Seen at 3:56 & 6:52

Modified by Eric D at 1:01 PM 12-20-2007

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by ratdub »
where is/are the car(s) now?

Quote, originally posted by GLI_DRIVER »
Cool post. But why isn't that car in a museum?

I believe the Vehicle is in Bonn Germany under private ownership.
As you can see from the pics, the front fenders have a few different stickers from the b/w pic. It also has the name of a body shop on the rear 1/4 panels. The wheels have changed too.
The 1st car (1985) location unknown. If I find something out, I'll post it.
The 3rd car (1987) is on display in the Wolfsburg Museum. I saw it in the summer of 2000. I have it on Hi8 video.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Heres some additional info on the second car (1986).
Der 1986 BiMotor Golf wurde zwischen 2004/2005 bei Autoscout24 für 47 000€ angeboten. Bei einer ebay Auktion wurden über 12 000€ geboten, doch der mindest Preis wurde nicht erziehlt.
Was for sale in 2004/05 on Autoscout24 with an asking price of € 47,000.
An Ebay auction reached over € 12,000, but the reserve price was not met.

Some additional pics of the 1985 car.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Found these yesterday when I transfered my old files to a USB HD.
These were on my old pc gathering dust.

Why is this one #44? Different wheels, different hood, different seat belts, even the engines are different. The WOB AZ 344 plate is the same one as seen on the #5 car.
Perhaps this is the earliest test mule, or it became the #2 Digital car, as it has the same white core support and painted roll cage.

198?

Thats all I have for now.

Modified by Eric D at 11:52 AM 12-22-2007

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
Re: 1986 DIGITAL Pikes Peak car Tons 'o Pics. (1.9..16vTurbo)

Bump for a new page! Too many damn pictures to load. Lawl.
I'd http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif an Oettinger 16V nevermind 2 of them!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.