VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently got a 1986 Golf NA Diesel and have done quite a bit of work to it over the past couple months. Initially I replaced the switch for the backup lights on the transmission because they didn't work, which fixed them. Recently (only a month or two later) I've noticed that the backup lights only come on when I position the shifter in the right spot. If I push it too far forward, the light goes out. If I position it so the lights stay on, as soon as I start backing up the shifter wiggles and they go out. This makes it basically useless because I typically can't even see whether or not the lights are on in the most cases. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
21,555 Posts
Hi guys, recently got a 1986 Golf NA Diesel and have done quite a bit of work to it over the past couple months. Initially I replaced the switch for the backup lights on the transmission because they didn't work, which fixed them. Recently (only a month or two later) I've noticed that the backup lights only come on when I position the shifter in the right spot. If I push it too far forward, the light goes out. If I position it so the lights stay on, as soon as I start backing up the shifter wiggles and they go out. This makes it basically useless because I typically can't even see whether or not the lights are on in the most cases. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
Thanks
You may have to loosen the switch and re-position it so that it is only when fully in the detent it comes on, sounds as if you have it on the low side of the detent and that as the shifter moves it goes over the detent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts