VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gti will idel and run but as soon as I push the throttle it dies immediately. I'm not sure if the fuel mixture is off or what but turning the fuel screw will bring the idle up and down but the result is the same, if I accelerate it will die.

I just got this car and it had been sitting for a few years. It has fresh gas and it's getting fuel to the injectors. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Did you check the basics? Ignition timing? Current at the DPR? Vacuum leaks? If so, post your results. Fine/OK is not a test result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started replacing the vaccum lines yesterday. I havent checked the other stuff yet. That's really why I asked I just wanted to know what else to look for other than vaccum. It took a while to just get it running and now that it is I'm just eliminating issues. I've always hated messing with cis. I'll get the other stuff checked and let you know how that went. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took forever but I finally got it running on it's own. I'm not sure if it was one thing or just a combination of things but now it runs and accelerates. All the vaccum lines are new, timing was spot on already and the owms going to the fuel distributor were solid at 19. So it's just alot of maintenance. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You ought to get a test harness for the DPR on the back of the fuel distributor. The milliAmp reading there is the most important function of CIS-E and thus the most important diagnostic number.

Read it with the engine warm and crankcase hose disconnected. The Evap system or charcoal canister must be disconnected and replaced with the restrictor side of the fitting. (The Bentley manual tells how to do this)

It must fluctuate, otherwise the oxygen sensor is likely dead, or the air sensor plate is adjusted out of spec. (or the ECU could be bad)

Basically this is how CIS-E works:

The basic air/fuel mixture is set by a mechanical adjustment of the air flow sensor plate. (the "fuel screw")

This is not able to adjust for every operating condition.

Therefore, the ECU reads the O2 (oxygen) sensor, and adjusts the mixture to run at the right (stoichiometric) mixture.

It also gets data from the coolant temp sensor, the rpm signal, the knock sensor, etc.

The way the ECU adjusts the mixture, is by sending an electrical signal to the Differential Pressure Regulator, DPR (also known as EHA in Mercedes)

This signal is measured in milliamps. 0 mA means it is trying to make the mixture leaner, and 10 mA fluctuating, means it's working properly. Higher, like 20 mA, means it's trying to make it richer.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sitting the plunger in the fuel distributor cam gum up and not want to move. I would do some techron or Seafoam something in 4-5 tanks. If you have it running this will clean it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the help. Its slowly getting to where it's running reliably. This is what happens when you let a car sit for 3 years. I knew it was going to be some work when I got it. Thanks for all the help. I thought the vortex was dead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts