VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

my name is Marcel and since the mk2 forum seems to be back to normal, i think its time to make a little thread about my GTI. It started in March 2010 after i moved to SoCal from Germany in February. I was actually looking for a MK3 Jetta but found myself buying this allmost original 87 GTI 16V with 230k miles. Only mod was the 90 GTI interior.

The first mods there tune up and several parts since the 16V ran like crap.

replacing a cracked exhaust manifold

after a time i changed the front end to quad light GTI and modified the center console to fit the radio

After dumping more and more money in the 16V, i found this little gem in a small junkyard, a unmolested 90 Corrado G60 with 28k miles from new :eek:

i had to have it, but no tools to do the job, i had to come back the next day and bought almost everything necassary for the swap for $600

the shell we left :D

then the time came for the swap and it wouldn't happend with out the BIG help from my friend EricD, he is like a walking Bentley Manual:laugh:, the things we did before putting the engine in the car were new timing belt with water pump, deleting the AC and PS, new belt for the charger and the drive belt and a mocal sandwich plate for running an external Volvo oil-cooler.

Start of the swap

16V coming out

so much space :D

G60 in

while doing the swap, i renewed all the suspension parts, control arms, bushings, tie rods.
Since the fuel pump died the same day we couldn't get the engine started that day and had to finish the swap the next day.

One week later i finally got my FK-coilovers from NGP since they forgot my arpartment number and the package almost was sended back :mad:

Pic off the oil cooler

After a while i got bored and wanted to change the look a little bit, so i pulled the flares and moldings off and painted a MK1 GTI stripe on it while taking care of some rust on the rear window frame

Changed the hatch glass to one without the third brakelight and with "Car off the year 85" and change the badges on the rear

Got me some Porsche 7-slots and got them refinished in satin black. Specs off the wheels are 16x7 ET52.3 front and 16x8 ET52.3 rear with 25mm adapters all around and added some pop-out windows.

I drove the car around awhile like that and then i found me a 85 4door which will be a another project to rebuild my car from Germany.

In the mean time i swapped the dash to a non-AC one which i got from Germany with the non-AC airbox and fitted a digifiz cluster and changed the front end to westy for some RnD for the 4door.

old dash out

new in with digifiz

and westy front end with Hella DE lights from Amir :thumbup:

the latest update were a votex center console i found in the junkyard, a roof rack with votex luggage rack for the extensive junkyard tours :laugh: and some 16x8 snowflakes from 1552, awesome guys otherthere :thumbup:

Let me know what you think :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Wow:eek: That car is sweet. It looks great with the westy and the quad rounds, but the digifiz part is crazy.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
diggin it :beer:

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
:confused: why does it say in the front Turbo Diesel?? :confused:
Because my friend loves his beer and he is crazy like that. :beer:

Seriously he got it because they are hard to find and he wanted it.

Only thing he hasn't shown you guys is his vast junkyard plate collection. :eek:
He should be putting up an ad for those interested.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Looks great with the Mk1 stripe you painted on it.
The stripe was also available on Mk2 European spec cars too.
Same part # as the Mk1 cars, 161 898 524 (qty 2).

1984 GTD.

1984 GTI.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
did u have a complete digifiz harness or did you have to splice yours if you spliced yours can you send me some pics of the colour wires you spliced in to

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did u have a complete digifiz harness or did you have to splice yours if you spliced yours can you send me some pics of the colour wires you spliced in to
i got the digifz with the CE2 adapter harness, i only had to make a connector for the speedsensor and some of the warning lights on the fiz.
If you need some wiring schematics i can send an email, if you IM me your email, or i am going to pull the cluster tommorow for some work and i can make you a schematic from the fiz to the CE2

1 - 20 of 40 Posts