VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to know someone who goes to seized vehicle auctions. He is going to one on Aug 6th. He is picking up a whole bunch of cars for dealerships and collectors etc. One of the cars he's bringing back is a 87 911 Carrera. this is the 3.2 liter motronic injected, G50 tranny (same one used thru the 993 cars), arguably best of the torsion-bar suspension 911's (ie pre 964). It is black, black lthr, black fuchs, it has 49k on it. I can get this car for about $12,000 USD. I would have to sell my corrado and my motorcycle, and probably still get a small loan, but I *could* do it. the only thing, its a DEA seized vehicle with very little in the way of records. I am wondering what kind of maintainence nightmare I could run into? Either way, we have several Porsche specialty shops out here that could do a PPI for me...
OR should i continue to hold out til next year and buy an M3?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Re: 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera-should I? (Dan92SLC)

$12k?!?
For an 87?!?
49k miles?!?
Dude. Even if it's missing records, that's a steal.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

if the PPI checks out... GET IT! that's a steal of a deal!!! ly thing you'll need after that if the car checks out is regular maintenance, and maybe:
http://www.oil-spill-kits.com/specials/new-products.htm
and

but if it checks out.. go for it!
obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Obin Robinson, 8:56 PM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

thats a great deal! Just get it checked out for the big things, like rust, low compression... etc. If I had the money I'd be all over that car... beautiful machines... go for it... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Re: 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera-should I? (coldweatherblue)

Just be careful man - because I see a bunch of old Porsche cars on those used car lots.
Think about how many middle aged men (and younger) may have purchased those cars and spent tons of money just to buy them but forgot that cars need regular maintenance and that foreign parts are expensive.
I am not saying that all used Porsche cars have that problem - but a lot of people do buy sports cars, beat the crap out of them, and then sell them off because they cannot afford repairs.
Another thing to keep in mind is that a car that has sat too long is bound to have evil problems. I found a 1974 Super Beetle with only 40,000 miles on it but when I went to see the poor thing that had been sitting for about 12 years (garaged too), it could barely stay on. My 1973 Sports Beetle was also sat for 12 years and only taken out of the garage and driven for 2-3 months once and garaged again. The engine just went to sh|t because it had been stored too long. The car itself was close to mint, and only had about 40,000 as well.
A Porsche is far from a Beetle - but engines that sit long tend to have problems. Make sure it was driven healthily or that the fluids were checked often at least.
Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera-should I? (Gumby17)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Think about how many middle aged men (and younger) may have purchased those cars and spent tons of money just to buy them but forgot that cars need regular maintenance and that foreign parts are expensive.
I am not saying that all used Porsche cars have that problem - but a lot of people do buy sports cars, beat the crap out of them, and then sell them off because they cannot afford repairs.
[HR][/HR]​
this is VERY true and the cars that i often see befall this fate are 1970s-1980s 911s. it's often harder to detect neglect than on the 924/944/968 because the 911s are so much harder to look at for 5 minutes and judge the overall condition of the car. there's lots of secret locations that may rust, have bad grounds, or be way out of spec and the previous owner didn' know.
Pre Purchase Inspection is KEY!!!
obin

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera-should I? (Gumby17)

Gumby's warning is a good one. A car sitting for a long period is about the worst thing you can do. As far as '87 911s go, well, I had an '88 that was a fantastic car. I put over 220K miles on it by the time I sold it, and all it needed was regular maintenance and replacement of brakes, hoses, the alternator once, etc. These cars are close to bullet-proof if well maintained. A detailed PPI by a respected Porsche mechanic is a must, or this car could be a money pit. Also keep in mind that late 3.2 liter cars often had problems with premature valve guide wear which costs about $1,500 to fix. I was lucky that I never had to do the guides. If this car is beat, then figure on an engine overhaul at least $8K plus another $2K for the trans. Just do your homework.

·
Registered
223 Posts

If it passes prepurchase inspection by a good Porsche mechanic, go for it. It will be one of the great cars you will fondly remember.
A book I recently read bears a tale that is worth pondering. The author once worked in a "assisted living" home where old folks go to fade away. He asked the elderly residents about their lives...just to see what valuable insight he might glean. Reportedly, risks taken in life were seldom regretted, even if they went poorly. Regrets usually centered around risks not taken.
Sieze the Day! (carpe diem)

·
25,294 Posts
Re: 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera-should I? (Bosdoc)

Thats the exact car my old man has had for quite awhile now. Its not daily driven, was bought in pristine condition with 35, 000 miles but its an absolute blast. The only problems he has had with it has been with the sunroof and a dead spot on the starter. Its not driven in the winter (he lives in pittsburgh) and its maybe driven 3,000 miles a year if that. I am actually surprised about how trouble free it has been, even though it isn't driven that much. So my point is this. That is an incredible deal and if you are ready to get into some costs for repairs do it. You wont regret it. and damn they are sexy cars. He was going to get some LM's for it but decided not too because so many people complimented the black/polished lip fuchs.

[Modified by rs4-380, 10:45 PM 8-5-2002]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.