VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1988 Jetta GLI VR6 Lots of PICS!!!! Sac, CA. !!!SOLD!!!

!!!THE CAR HAS SOLD!!!

So I have never had to put this on "paper" before. This is not some project car that was finished last week and I'm trying to sell it because I doubt it’s reliability but drove it around the block and promise its solid... there is heart and soul in this car. It is a member of the family. There are people who “know” this car... but not me. It was my 1st car and I bought it as a 1988 GLI 16v back in 1996. I swapped the VR6 into it in 1999 and have since put more than 100,000 miles on the car. She has never left me stranded and i've driven it all over the west coast... literally. I live near Sacramento California and have driven the car from here to L.A. and up to Seattle Washington and then out to Vegas and all over California back roads. The car has done 4 track days, one before it was a VR6. I have receipts for all work performed and they total more than twice my asking price... as with most project cars. This car gets looks every where you go... but doesn’t stand out. The exhaust note is infectious and coaxes you to keep driving just to hear it. The car rides rough and there is no air conditioning, so if your are looking for a commuter car to have your latte in on your way to work while talking on your Bluetooth... this isn't the car for you. The car will make you smile every time the engine fires up though!
The swap is out of a 95 Jetta, along with the entire wire harness and dash. It has a 2.5" Techtonics exhaust to a Sebring muffler. Polly suspension bushings, Bilstien shocks/struts, Neuspeed Race springs, Eibach lower front sway bar, Atomic rear sway bar, Polished Autotech upper strut bars front & rear, G60 rotors up front with Audi calipers, cross drilled rotors and Mintex pads all around. The wheels are OZ Superleggera’s with Yokohama Parada tires. The engine has about 140,000miles on it, but within the last 700 miles I had the timing chains and tensioners replaced, rear main seal, Autotech lightened flywheel and fresh clutch, complete transmission rebuild with lower ring & pinion (3.94) and Quaffe differential as well as Techtonics 268 cams. I also have installed a brand new Optima Red Top battery this year, the old one lasted more than 10 years. There is a Corrado VR6 air box with a K&N panel filter and large portions of the under side of the box removed for air flow. The throttle body housing has been replaced with one from a BMW (this made 5hp to the wheels on the dyno at Schatz &Krum in Sacramento, they also made the custom chip in the ECM) The spark plug wires are Autotech. All coolant hoses are Samco silicone items. The radiator is from a Corrado VR6 as well as the dual fans & shroud. The “heater” block has been shaved from the top of the throttle body and it, the valve cover, intake plenum and belt tensioner have been polished.
The interior is stock upholstery on: door cards and seats (seats show wear at the bolsters... obviously heavier on the drivers side). I re-trimmed the headliner in black tweed, the rear seat has been deleted... not removed... deleted (don’t be confused about this) there is an Autopower half cage that has been powder coated black with stainless hardware, Sparco 3" harnesses and custom made carpet filler across back half of interior. The short shifter is the complete Neuspeed unit for the VR6 cable shift. There is limited stereo. The Alpine head unit has 3 pre-outs and adjustable base control... but I took all the subs out when I deleted the back seat. As of now there is a Coustic amp driving the Alpine 3 1/2 speakers in the dash and 5 1/4 speakers in the door cards... all of these speakers are in stock locations behind stock grills... no ruined door cards cut up for over sized speakers. Momo steering wheel and Quaffe shift knob (the shift knob is not for sale with the car). Momo carbon pedal covers.

The entire car was painted about 2001, all badges, handles and body seams shaved as well as the front blinkers (they are now the "city lights" in the headlights). The paint is not perfect... but nicer than most cars on the road... and those pictures were taken this month... not back when it was fresh outta the body shop... it has been well cared for. I have 18 consecutive 1st place trophies with the car and it had a 4 page spread in the January 2003 EuroTuner Magazine. The front arches are G60 units and were brand new from VW when they were sent to the body shop, as were the front and rear bumper covers, license plate surrounds and the rocker panels/covers. The front grill has been converted to a single round set up and the tail lights are stock with a custom tint.
I am a very meticulous person by nature and did a ton of homework before starting the swap, I did everything on the car except the dash swap (thanks Tomas Sport Tuning for that and Tim for the tech support during the swap) and the paint job (thanks Panel Craft in Berkley, Ca).
The unit does not have air conditioning and the heater core is bypassed. The car will run a bit hot if you sit in a drive through on a hot day... its a VR6 shoved in a MK2. Again, the Quaffe shift knob does not come with the car and the only thing the car deserves but never got is a proper set of coilovers and some split or deep dish wheels. The catalytic converter is present and THE CAR WILL SMOG IN CALIFORNIA AND HAS BEEN REFEREED FOR THE ENGINE SWAP AND IS 100% LEGAL!!!
I am open to all reasonable offers for the car. I don’t really need anything else at this time to work on, so trades are not on the top of my list, I would really just like to free up some funds to finish a few of my other projects. Before scoffing at the asking price please ask me questions about the car and if you think you have a reasonable offer please present it. I promise to answer all questions completely and honestly.
I am asking $9,500 or best offer for the car.
I will smog the unit for you at time of sale. Transportation/delivery is your responsibility. No test drives without a $1000 cash deposit... and I ride with you. I will take anyone for a ride in the car and would be willing to drive up to 100 miles to show the car to any serious party. I also feel 100% confident that if anyone was purchasing this car they would be able to hop in and drive it home... no matter how far... New York? No problem.
This car is a huge part of my life and have never posted it for sale or on any forum before. I don’t expect everyone to like my car, but please keep the comments positive and/or constructive.
Thank you for your time, enjoy the pictures and hope to talk with you soon, Drew.

Modified by #54 at 1:36 PM 8-23-2009

Modified by #54 at 11:44 PM 9-4-2009

Modified by #54 at 9:22 PM 9-16-2009

Modified by #54 at 9:28 PM 9-16-2009

Modified by #54 at 8:12 PM 10-13-2009

Modified by #54 at 3:02 PM 1-2-2010

Modified by #54 at 3:03 PM 1-2-2010

Modified by #54 at 3:03 PM 1-2-2010

Modified by #54 at 8:58 PM 2-4-2010

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
FV-QR

Hey man I know you're new here and I'm not flamin your thread but your price is a bit high. This car is in excellent condition and it shows you've put a lot of work in to it but $11.5K is a bit pricey for an engine 140k+ miles on it, even if it is a VR. Most VR's on here go for $3-7k depending on the mileage and condition. There's a supercharged VR with 68k on the engine and 37k miles on the body rollin on RS's for only $9k on this forum. I'm just trying to help. But anyways your car is super clean. Good luck with your sale. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by bocho »

Far from it, I remember the seller from way back at TST, always liked your car. Good luck with your sale http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I don't know this guy personally, I just saw he had a post count of 3 and joined in May of 09. I wasn't criticizing him at all, just maybe he would have a few more people interested if his price was lower.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: 1988 Jetta GLI VR6 Lots of PICS!!!! Sacramento, CA (#54)

Like triple my price range but bump for a GORGEOUS car that will make someone very happy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: FV-QR (MitchNFitch)

Quote, originally posted by MitchNFitch »
Hey man I know you're new here and I'm not flamin your thread but your price is a bit high. This car is in excellent condition and it shows you've put a lot of work in to it but $11.5K is a bit pricey for an engine 140k+ miles on it, even if it is a VR. Most VR's on here go for $3-7k depending on the mileage and condition. There's a supercharged VR with 68k on the engine and 37k miles on the body rollin on RS's for only $9k on this forum. I'm just trying to help. But anyways your car is super clean. Good luck with your sale. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks for looking man. I appreciate the input and the kind thoughts. I realize there are lower priced cars... and they are nice. The listed price is my asking price... asking. I am open to offers, maybe even partial trade for some splits to go on my MK1 or a vintage Honda motorcycle. I'm super open to ideas. Thanks again for the time man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (ArdaMK2)

Quote, originally posted by ArdaMK2 »
wow dude, sh*ts cleeaan. bump for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks yo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR (bocho)

Quote, originally posted by bocho »
MitchNFitch said:
Hey man I know you're new here QUOTE]
Far from it, I remember the seller from way back at TST, always liked your car. Good luck with your sale http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
MitchNFitch said:
Thanks for checkin the add and the good luck wishes. I've been in the game a long time, and I have been reading these forums along time... I just never contributed.
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: FV-QR (#54)

You Sir are a Damn Artist! That is one of the Cleanest MK2's i have ever seen swapped or not!
I only wish this sale had been around back in 2007. I probly would have given you the 10k I put down on my MKV!
Beautiful Car. Good luck with sail.

·
Registered
480 Posts

wow you are really going to sell it.. I have met and seen this car in person and is what gave me inspiration to do quite a bit to mine this is one truly beautiful car. I would sell all mine for the opportunity to own this car, known the time and work that he has put into it. once again a very,very nice car.. hate to see you having to sell or even wanting to sell this piece of workmanship...

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
FV-QR

This car is absolutely beautiful. It looks great in the photos, and even better in person! The attention to detail is amazing and the car is extraordinarily clean. This is by far my favorite MK2, and has been ever since I first saw it (which was shortly after the body work was done). It may sound like a lot of money, but if you get a chance to inspect the car and talk with the owner you will see it's worth every penny http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good luck with the sale, sorry to see it go, but I just hope it goes to a good home that will care for it as you have

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks to everyone for all the support and good wishes!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Want to trade for a Jeep in AZ? I'm thinking no, but you might have an easier time getting like 12k for it in cali, just throwing that idea out there.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Re: (MKtay)

I met you at the ND show just after it came out of the body shop, and always wondered what happened to this car.
I don't remember if it was a rumor or if you told me, but I seem to recall somebody saying after it came out of the body shop it was "straighter than an original Jetta"

At anyrate, this car truly is a gem regardless of the mileage. I only wish all swaps were as clean, comprehensive, and well cared for.
Best of luck in the sale.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts