VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

The time has come to let my longtime project car move on to another Cabriolet/Mk1 fan. I've had the car now for 8 years, and spent most of my time with it fixing things, getting it running and putting some cool stuff on it. Unfortunately, the output shaft seals on the manual transmission are just toast, so the transmission will not hold oil. It just leaks out, and I've so far been unsuccessful getting them fixed. So this car runs and drives, but up front you need to know it will need transmission work. If you're buying this car, you're probably OK with doing this sort of work.

The car is a triple white with the original 1.8 engine in it. The odometer currently reads about 72k, however for the first 6 years I owned it, it was basically stopped at 67k. Then recently, it has decided to start recording 10 miles for every tenth of a mile that it goes. So, you know, typical Mk1 odometer problems. No real idea how many miles are actually on it. The interior is complete, if a bit stained. The drivers seat could use a foam refresh. The top has some cracking along the edges, but no holes. The clipper kit is complete, but the front bumper is clearly a replacement from a previous owner. It was repainted white from red.

The suspension has been sorted nicely all around. New control arms, bushings, and ball joints up front. The car is sitting on a properly vintage set of Bilstein HD's with H&R springs that I purchased from a Vortexer 8 years ago. These are the model specific ones that Bilstein stopped making a long time ago. The drop is lovely, and with the roof down the thing really does feel like the go cart that it is.

The other cool bit of kit is that I replaced the exhaust manifold with one of the hard to find ones from an early Sirroco. So a 4-2-1 manifold took the place of the old toilet bowl. This is mated to a Techtonics Tuning aluminum catback system. The exhaust note is just nice, and the updated to the flow definitely puts adds that missing 7-8 HP that you'd find in a Mk1 GTI.

There is a little rust on the passenger rear quarter panel and small spots at the base of the a pillars, but because the car has been garaged that has been unchanged since I bought the car. That's really the big reason that I'm looking to move it along, I'd like my garage space back.

I'm in St. Louis, MO, I'm looking for $1200 for the car. I also have a full set of black snowflake wheels that will go along with it. The car can be driven short distances, but I would not recommend a long drive because of the inability for it to hold transmission oil. Message me with any questions.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
View attachment 138228
The time has come to let my longtime project car move on to another Cabriolet/Mk1 fan. I've had the car now for 8 years, and spent most of my time with it fixing things, getting it running and putting some cool stuff on it. Unfortunately, the output shaft seals on the manual transmission are just toast, so the transmission will not hold oil. It just leaks out, and I've so far been unsuccessful getting them fixed. So this car runs and drives, but up front you need to know it will need transmission work. If you're buying this car, you're probably OK with doing this sort of work.

The car is a triple white with the original 1.8 engine in it. The odometer currently reads about 72k, however for the first 6 years I owned it, it was basically stopped at 67k. Then recently, it has decided to start recording 10 miles for every tenth of a mile that it goes. So, you know, typical Mk1 odometer problems. No real idea how many miles are actually on it. The interior is complete, if a bit stained. The drivers seat could use a foam refresh. The top has some cracking along the edges, but no holes. The clipper kit is complete, but the front bumper is clearly a replacement from a previous owner. It was repainted white from red.

The suspension has been sorted nicely all around. New control arms, bushings, and ball joints up front. The car is sitting on a properly vintage set of Bilstein HD's with H&R springs that I purchased from a Vortexer 8 years ago. These are the model specific ones that Bilstein stopped making a long time ago. The drop is lovely, and with the roof down the thing really does feel like the go cart that it is.

The other cool bit of kit is that I replaced the exhaust manifold with one of the hard to find ones from an early Sirroco. So a 4-2-1 manifold took the place of the old toilet bowl. This is mated to a Techtonics Tuning aluminum catback system. The exhaust note is just nice, and the updated to the flow definitely puts adds that missing 7-8 HP that you'd find in a Mk1 GTI.

There is a little rust on the passenger rear quarter panel and small spots at the base of the a pillars, but because the car has been garaged that has been unchanged since I bought the car. That's really the big reason that I'm looking to move it along, I'd like my garage space back.

I'm in St. Louis, MO, I'm looking for $1200 for the car. I also have a full set of black snowflake wheels that will go along with it. The car can be driven short distances, but I would not recommend a long drive because of the inability for it to hold transmission oil. Message me with any questions.

View attachment 138220

View attachment 138227

View attachment 138226
Looks good to me! I know a guy who does shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts