VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. This is my first ever post on a forum like this ever, sorry if I get anything wrong...

Anyways, my 1989 Cabriolet was in need of new struts as the old ones were leaky and overall just not doing their job. Not a problem, as I ordered some Bilstein struts and put them in no problem.

My issue here is that the rear passenger suspension collapsed on itself at the end of my driveway :(. I took it back in the garage, disassembled it, and put it back together to how I feel what was correct (or at least to what my Bentley was saying). I tried to take it for a drive again today and upon looking at it, the suspension is sitting lower on the rear passenger side and not recovering to the same height as it is on the other side, almost looking like it's about to fall on itself again. I'm at a loss at this point and any pointers will be much appreciated ;)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The clip was probably not secure on the shock so the spring holder slid down. I could check to make certain both holders are on the same groove. Google a picture and you will see what I'm saying. There are 5 grooves which gives you options where the holder will sit.

Assuming they are the Bilstein B6 shocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see.

The old rear struts had the five grooves for the spring holder so I’m familiar with that. However, I bought Bilstein B4 struts where they have a little shelf welded around itself for the spring holder i.e, its one fixed position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.