VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I'm a dummy. I unhooked the center console and have no idea what to plug in to what. Is there a diagram for this somewhere?
Look at your Bentley, it is pretty much spelled out there.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Is it the windshield washer fluid line? That's where mine was in my '86.
The rubber plug is the Rain drain.
VW placed the Windshield hose from the tank up-through the feed-thru and well it prevents water from getting out as fast as it can.

You can take a piece of vacuum tubing (hard) and use it as a feed through to the washer.

You can also route your vacuum hose through the hood, and have it come out to the same general area and move your vacuum "t" hose out of hte engine bay and into the raintray.

There is a Nice Grommet that feeds from the engine bay to the Rain-tray and is really handy for rerouting the 3 lines.

If you move the "t" OFF the throttle body then you can run a single line over to the grommet.

Or Go Ball less and have only two lines one from your Check Valve, and one from your washer...

Notice hoses routed through the metal re-enforcements. to be inside the rain tray clearing the vacuum lines.

Original routing of the hose

How to GELD your Bunny.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
:confused: How do you get the covers off the headrests? There's a zipper with no pull on it.
You are right.

On the pre-90's head rests there is a zipper with no dog on it, but it can come off, if you are careful.
You will need to go to a Zipper Store (FABRIC) ie: Walmart, Target, JoAnn's in the fabric department, AND GET A REPLACEMENT ZIPPER DOG. Yes they make a Zipper dog that you can buy to "zip" it back up.
Or you will need to have a new Zipper sewn back in.

See How to remove the Head Rest cover thread I did a while back, there is a warning on it about the zipper.

A company used to make Zipper Dog repairs for folks that broke a zipper dog It was a pack of 6 different sizes.
Also the Zipps on the head covers are usually corroded and will need to be lubricated.

Google Zipper Repair kit.

All you need to do is to get it started zip it back up and let the dog come back off and tuck the ends back under.

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
It's called a dog. I learned something new. Thanks again :)
If you go to a fabric-type store and ask for a "zipper dog", they'll give you a WTF?! look. It is called a zipper pull; the two components separately are a pull tab and slider. What you lubricate is the zipper chain (aka teeth). I've been around sewing my whole life and have never heard the term "zipper dog" (sorry, Brian). A sewing machine, however, does use canine-termed components: feed dogs. :beer:

90% of the worlds zippers are manufactured by YYK in japan.
YKK. ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts