VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1991 2.0 16v problm need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

292 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  R 
#1 ·
i got a 1991 GTI 2.0 16V with 60,000 on the clock its burning so rich that the air filter is soaked in gas and the oil is polluted in gas... you start it up and it chugs you give it throttle and it has no power what so ever i need some help with this i bought the car this way and i can't figure it out first 16V i have only owned 8Vs so i need some info??????????? also if you let it idle for 20 mintues the plugs get soaked in gas and then foul then the car stalls... if you clean the plugs then it starts up again and repeats its self bought car at auction so i have no history

#3 ·
Re: 1991 2.0 16v problm need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (NewHampshireGuy)

I'm not a 16v expert at all, I've got two 8vs. But it would be my guess that your injectors or cold start enrichment system (or both) are gummed up from car just sitting.
If your getting that much gas, it will ruin the O2 sencer and cat pretty quick so don't run it that way very long or the repair cost will go up in a hurry.
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.