VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 2 Jettas, both 1991s, both 8vs. My question is in the PS system. The 5spd's PS rack is on it's way out and I was just gonna strip all the PS hardware out and run it as a MS rack. But as I was under the hood of the auto. Jetta, I noticed a difference. The auto. Jetta has one driving the the WaterPump, end of story. BUT the 5spd Jetta has 2 belts driving the WaterPump, one of these being from the PS Pump.
My question is if I eliminate the PS pump (I will also do the A/C as well) will there be enough belt contact to drive the WaterPump? And why the difference? (Yes the belts are different widths, the PS-WaterPump belt being the thinner of the two)
The only reason I can think of as to why the 5spd requires two belts, is because it revs faster than the auto. Jetta. (As in it goes from 1000-4000 rpm faster, under load, than the auto. Jetta)
Has any one successfuly deleted PS and A/C on an 8v, and encountered this problem? Or would the best solution be to grab a set of pulleys off a non-PS 8v.
If this helps . . .
Auto. Jetta's WaterPump belt runs like this: WaterPump to Crank to A/C
5spd. Jetta's WaterPump belt 1 runs like this: WaterPump to Crank to PS
5spd. Jetta's WaterPump belt 2 runs like this: WaterPump to Crank to A/C
Thanks
- dac

Modified by Big Dac With Fries at 1:09 AM 7-18-2003

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Re: 1991 8v auto. vs 1991 8v 5spd. (Big Dac With Fries)

You're going to have to get the proper pulley, on the water pump, to line up with the alternator. Then your belt will run crank-water pump-alternator just like the A1's. It just takes the right pulley (probably swipe one from a Rabbit in the wrecking yard) and the measurement for a new belt.

· Registered
354 Posts
Re: 1991 8v auto. vs 1991 8v 5spd. (VolksRacer2)

Line up the pulleys and then run a thin rope around them in the final configuration. Take that length of rope and go to your local parts store. They can match up a belt of the right length for you.

· Registered
90 Posts
Re: 1991 8v auto. vs 1991 8v 5spd. (p_ferlow)

Ive taken the ps and a/c out of my car. It was easy. the pulleys didn't line up with the alternator so I took the bracket and pulley from a non a/c rabbit. just go to auto store and say you need the belt for the non a/c.

Modified by VeeDubClub82 at 10:58 AM 7-18-2003

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.