VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend tht is looking at a 1991 cabriolet. She wants me to go with her to check out the car and i have no idea where to start. I know corrados but cabriolets are new to me. it has 66,000 miles. I know the 8v engine lasts a lifetime, but how long have your engines lasted without major repair? Are cabriolets expensive to maintain? She wants to use the car as a daily driver to college and back so it has to be kind of reliable.What should i look at when i see it, should it make any noises or should it be smooth? Are there any signs of a major problem i could check out.Finally, what is a good price to negotiate. Any help would be appreciated and im sorry for such a long post. Thanks again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
tell her she wants a 93 instead and buy mine

LOL, j/k, check the FAQ, there's alot of good info there about what to look for when buying a car.
Cabriolets are not expensive to maintain, but the insurance is killer, since it's convertible. I've never had a problem with mine, it's really reliable, great on gas, and I was surprised at how little wind noise and such. When the top is up it's easy to forget the top goes down.
EDIT: oh, yeah...mine has 133K and doesn't have any troubles, the 8v REALLY will last forever.
I hear sometimes the seals leak, look for water damage on the carpet and under the rear window....it's easy to fix a leak, unless it's a tear in the top, but usually it's only an adjustment.
Check http://www.kbb.com and http://www.edmunds.com
Then check on autotrader, cars.com, ebaymotors (only check the going, going, gone section) and carmax.com and see what they are selling for, that gives you a more accurate base for actual market value. That's how I got the price for what I'm selling mine for.

Modified by litljenarey at 4:40 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by litljenarey at 4:42 AM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (kuklaki)

thanks for all the help guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts