VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 Corrado -G60 Engine Knock Driveway Queen at the moment - Rebuilt Thread after PhotoBucket Bad Business Model

Inspect cylinder #1 & #2 with borescope trying to figure out where the knock is coming from when weather clears tomorrow. Compression test on all cylinders, verify timing. Previous owner had the head done so need to verify workmanship of the valve job and ensure that PO line up everything with TDC. Rebuild the supercharger. Also ordered all gaskets and fluids when we tear down the engine. Car runs but make no power so lots to look at and test.

Edit: Before it was put away for two years

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Sounds fun. Low power from a G60 can be a lot of things, so verifying timing and compression is a good start.

Do you know if any bottom end work was done? I'm not sure I'd stop with only a head refresh on a 25 year old motor.

Let us know what you find.:beer:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds fun. Low power from a G60 can be a lot of things, so verifying timing and compression is a good start.

Do you know if any bottom end work was done? I'm not sure I'd stop with only a head refresh on a 25 year old motor.

Let us know what you find.:beer:
Looked into cylinders with borescope, found no marking on the piston, compression test 150 psi across all cylinders. Verified timing the camshaft sprocket was out by two teeth. Forgot to mention that oil idiot light comes on as well. No bottom end work was done. Which is why I've decided to pull the engine out and go through all of it. Not trusting any work that the PO did, reason the head was rebuilt is because someone told him that this would fix his misfiring issue, turn out to be distributor (no kiding Einstein) :facepalm:. I'm suspecting possible wrist pin? Your thoughts? I'll post some pictures when I've got it torn apart. One bonus item the PO gave me is the VW Factory Repair Manual :D

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
If you have the engine apart, I for certain would suspect con rod bushings. With low oil pressure, I would also replace all the bearings including the intermediate shaft bearings.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Man, that damper is insulting. It's not supposed to be maxed out like that. That puts stress on every bearing on every spinning bit.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Are you talking about the flanges? Hans Auto Parts sells the old MK1 flanges. You'll need to tap one of the ports and get the sensors (gauge & CTS).

Plastic is fine as long as you get it from the dealer and use RTV instead of the supplied o-ring. The mating surface is no longer pristine and the aftermarket plastic is garbage.

I've put thousands of those on cars over the years and torque is critical. People over-tighten the bolts because they don't want it to leak and end up warping/cracking it resulting in the very scenario they were trying to prevent.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Picked up parts in Massena NY today:

From Ebay:
Coolant Temperature Sensor (White) Part#035919369M
Coolant Temperature Sensor (Blue) Part#0280130026-770
Belt Tensioner Damper SACHS #SG401008
Double Gauge Pod for Center Console Cuddy Hole - From UK

From DubNutz:

Crank Pulley Bolt Part #N90320802
Girling Front Caliper Rebuild Kit Part #431 698 471
Girling Rear Caliper Rebuild Kit Part # 8D0 698 671
Hood release cable sleeves right/left Part # 535823555

From HausAutoparts:

Aluminum Coolant Flange Front of the Engine Part #026121133C/D/F Hose Flange

Engine tear down within the next few days. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Picked up a G60 68mm Autotech pulley and a water pump pulley from a Vortex member in Ottawa (my backyard), well turn out I found G60 heaven.

This guy is an engineer and a G60 enthusiast, has his own personal stash of G60 engines and parts tucked behind his automotive parts manufacturing warehouse. I know that there are better engine than the G60, but the uniqueness (which is the attraction for me, everyone else does the engine swap) of this setup is taking what works G60 (when properly maintained) and making it better with more flow through the engine (16 or 20 valve head). Tried to work out a deal on this 20V. G60 that he built for a customer and bought it back. But unfortunately it's not for sale was his first build for a customer and kind of sentimental about keeping it.

He also has 4 brand new AEB blocked for a very reasonable price plus tons of other parts, he's also a Mahle piston distributor. One stop shop for G60 parts LOL!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bought two brand new (0-Kms) AEB blocks (not the one in the photo LOL) with the crankshaft and intermittent shaft installed in them. One will be to rebuild the PG engine, stock conrods and piston will fit in the AEB block, a AEG head gasket is required to fit the PG 8v head, a hole is drill thru the block at one of the thread bolt holes for the G60 oil return and were good to go.

Second block is for a 20V. 1.8L G60 build. Also purchased a DRS oil pan for this build.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How's the body\interior? I was thinking about checking this car out; it was up for sale on kijiji for close to two years!

Either way, I'm glad to see u're saving it! Such rare colour too! :thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How's the body\interior? I was thinking about checking this car out; it was up for sale on kijiji for close to two years!

Either way, I'm glad to see u're saving it! Such rare colour too! :thumbup::beer:
The interior has only one issue and that the driver seat leatherette has a tear but the rest of the interior just needs a good cleaning/steaming. As for the body the one major rust spot is one of the rocker panels, was pushed in when his wife ran over a snow bank but it isn't rusted through, any other rust areas are all paint chips with minimal rust.

Car was advertised as stock and for the most part it is, no hacked wiring (wiring harness is in amazing shape for the year of the car) just some deleted components. I also got all of maintenance paperwork, and the last invoice was in 2012 so car was put away sometime after that. As for the paint it was stored under a large pine tree and the pine sap has imbedded itself into the paint so it will need a repaint.

Sunroof, spoiler all works, ABS brakes has been deleted, bent front driver side wheel most likely when she hit the snow bank. The car was Krown rust proofed at one point and I believe what has preserved the body so well. Rain tray moldings are in the rear but at pretty weathered haven't had a chance to see how they fix and look reinstalled. NLA from VW but there's a guy in Europe that sell a knock off replacement, pricey but available.

As for the colour I was going to do a colour change but decided against it when I did more research it is as you mention a rare colour for these car.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts