VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the southside of Atlanta (Fayette County) or around Conyers/Rockdale County and need a reliable and recommended shop that can do some restoration (seats/carpet, window/door seals, wheels) and some mechanical work on my Cabriolet. The car is very original and runs great but has been sitting for a couple of years. But, I'm ready to put her back on the road. Please let me know who you'd recommend. Thanks in advance for honest help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The car is very original and runs great but has been sitting for a couple of years.
This ^ seems like the expression of a hope as opposed to a statement firmly grounded in reality -- as in, how do you know it runs great if it has been sitting for two years?

I'd verify that your Cabby does run great before I spent any $$$ on cosmetics (tops, carpets, wheels, etc.). Also, what year is your Cabby?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This ^ seems like the expression of a hope as opposed to a statement firmly grounded in reality -- as in, how do you know it runs great if it has been sitting for two years?

I'd verify that your Cabby does run great before I spent any $$$ on cosmetics (tops, carpets, wheels, etc.). Also, what year is your Cabby?
Thanks for your opinion . It states that it's a 1991 in the title to my post. Without posting a long backstory the engine was the first thing I had done to this car; I'm no mechanic but I've been around , owned and driven enough cars to know that engines are primary to any good restoration. I voluntarily parked this one because....life happened. It also states that I'll need mechanical work. Again, thanks for your opinion but it definitely doesn't help if you're not going to read what's already been stated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It states that it's a 1991 in the title to my post.
My bad. However this is a DIY forum so most people who come here are looking for advice on how to solve a problem(s) on their own, not for recommendations on where to find a mechanic. Also, mechanics who know how to competently work on these cars are becoming increasingly rare. Assuming your engine is original then you're running Digi so maybe you'll get lucky and find someone good but for CIS-based engines it's almost impossible to find anyone competent these days. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
So many things happen when cars still. What once ran great before it was parked, could run, well.....not so great once it's started again. Lifters may no longer pump up, old gas does wonders on fuel components, varmints like cars to chew on, etc.

I do think it's wise to confirm it's as good as you remember it being before it was parked. Sometimes reading someones words is not the same as listening to them in real life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad. However this is a DIY forum so most people who come here are looking for advice on how to solve a problem(s) on their own, not for recommendations on where to find a mechanic. Also, mechanics who know how to competently work on these cars are becoming increasingly rare. Assuming your engine is original then you're running Digi so maybe you'll get lucky and find someone good but for CIS-based engines it's almost impossible to find anyone competent these days. Good luck.
Thanks and no problem. I've been "out of the game" and "off the scene" as far as having a VW and especially one of this age. The mechanics and shops that I used to use have moved on or I had to move on from them. Hence, why I was putting it out there for any recommendations in my area. Hopefully someone may know someone or some place that is competent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So many things happen when cars still. What once ran great before it was parked, could run, well.....not so great once it's started again. Lifters may no longer pump up, old gas does wonders on fuel components, varmints like cars to chew on, etc.

I do think it's wise to confirm it's as good as you remember it being before it was parked. Sometimes reading someones words is not the same as listening to them in real life.
Thanks. All true. Are you in Georgia or know someone who is a competent mechanic in the area? Just a guy with a car that's looking to start it back on the road to glory. Thanks

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
There is no way I could live in Georgia. I suspect Georgia is better off if I was not there.

Seattle area, yeah, I'm not bragging either. You could PM Briano1234. He's not a pro but he could either guide you to the local pros or even try to guide you in fixing it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no way I could live in Georgia. I suspect Georgia is better off if I was not there.

Seattle area, yeah, I'm not bragging either. You could PM Briano1234. He's not a pro but he could either guide you to the local pros or even try to guide you in fixing it yourself.
Hahahaha Thanks! I'll try reaching out to Briano1234.

·
Registered
1991 VW Cabriolet
10 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.