VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 1993 B3 GLX has really early ABS brakes that has a master cylinder that is powered by the ABS unit. Which means the brake's power assist is generated not by a vacuum but by the ABS unit. Does anyone know if I can turn off/disconnect the ABS part of the brakes (and keep the power assist) so the brakes no longer pulsate at low speeds. I have one or more ABS sensors at the wheels that have gone bad, and I don't have an ODB-1 reader to figure which ones are bad.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Peter

·
Registered
445 Posts
OBD-1 doesn't interface with the ABS controller as far as I've seen. My buddies' 95 TDI swap has functioning ABS still and it works great. ABS sensors are cheap enough (free if you go to any pick-n-pull). If you disable your ABS you no longer have proper front-rear bias as the ABS cars didn't have a load-dependent prop valve on the rear axle (I'm fairly certain, though probably wrong).

Best option is to go to junk yard or buy a ****bag junker TDI (or 2.0l) and swap your brakes to regular non-ABS. I've several junkers with the right parts just sitting in my side yard. Ez enough to find.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Early 3-way ABS cars with the hydraulic booster have prop valves. The later cars with 4-way ABS did not (B4). Are the B3's equipped with the 2+2 ports for diagnostic? If so, those 2+2 to OBD2 adapters are cheap and work well. You'll also be able to use Vag-com to read the ABS as it does communicate over the K-line. There is a way to have the codes blink on the ABS light, but I'd have to dig around and find the procedure.

Unplugging the wheel sensors should disable the ABS, but keep your booster pump running.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OBD-1 doesn't interface with the ABS controller as far as I've seen. My buddies' 95 TDI swap has functioning ABS still and it works great. ABS sensors are cheap enough (free if you go to any pick-n-pull). If you disable your ABS you no longer have proper front-rear bias as the ABS cars didn't have a load-dependent prop valve on the rear axle (I'm fairly certain, though probably wrong).

Best option is to go to junk yard or buy a ****bag junker TDI (or 2.0l) and swap your brakes to regular non-ABS. I've several junkers with the right parts just sitting in my side yard. Ez enough to find.
I have a 93 gls which had abs as well it has the load dependent prop valve on the rear axle but i got rid of the abs system and installed a non abs system from a non abs car so the car now has a brake booster and master cylinder from it. now i can find a master cylinder if i need one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts