VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sister's boyfriend is looking at a 94 camry wagon, 95K miles for only 1700 bucks (blue book for "fair" condition is 3500 bucks, and he says it's in great condition aesthetically). apparently it needs "brake work" though, but he has no idea if that means new pads and rotors, or extensive caliper work or something. so besides the usual stuff (i told him to take it to a mechanic, check for body damage, get a maintenance history, and see if the timing belt/major maintenance has recently been done), anyone know anything about these cars? just wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the 94s. i basically told him just to buy it, since it's a toyota and only 1700 bucks. any opinions on this car?
pic for views:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (GTiTOM)

Can't go wrong with a Camry. Even if there's brake work to be done, how bad could it be? New pads, rotors, calipers, or master cylinder? None of those things are prohibitively expensive, especially when the car is that cheap.
The wagon ain't pretty, but it has a TON of room inside. Also, is it a V6? If so, make sure the engine doesn't have a bunch of sludge in it from lack of oil changes.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (edkim)

Quote, originally posted by edkim »
Also, is it a V6? If so, make sure the engine doesn't have a bunch of sludge in it from lack of oil changes.

is that a common problem with these? like you said though, even if it needs all new brakes with lines and calipers, it's probably still worth it, as the total cost of the car would probably still be under 3500 bucks or so.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (nuke941)

maybe i should talk my mom into giving me her camry so i can sell it. its got 60000 miles, maybe i could get $3000 for it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
basically a slod reliable car. It should have less rattles than my Golf...(I know my 88 Camry V6 did have less rattles after 200k miles than my Golf new).
No major issues, except on the 4 cylinder engine, a common problem is the oil seals on the distributor tends to leak.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (GTiTOM)

I had a 1992 Camry (4 cyl 5 spd) for a few years, and it has been passed around my family ever since. Excellent car- never had a single mechanical problem, and the only work that we had to have done were on a seized caliper and a busted CV joint. Drove the car hard, taught several people how to drive a stick on it, and it held up beautifully. It actually still drives smoother than many 2-3 year old cars.
If it checks out mechanically and the body is solid, I say buy it!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (funkyc)

Quote, originally posted by funkyc »
a seized caliper and a busted CV joint.

Uh.... nothing against Toyotas, as I'm a fan and agree they are generally quite reliable... but wouldn't both of those qualify as "Mechanical problems" ?
Quote, originally posted by funkyc »
never had a single mechanical problem,

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re: 1994 toyota camry wagon (ArmenB)

Quote, originally posted by ArmenB »

Uh.... nothing against Toyotas, as I'm a fan and agree they are generally quite reliable... but wouldn't both of those qualify as "Mechanical problems" ?

Mea culpa, and mea sorry.
Bad revising on my part. I meant to say never had an engine problem and the only mechanical problems encountered were the CV and caliper. Even those problems weren't actually problems resulting from a defect or inherent problem, but rather from driver abuse/neglect.

Modified by funkyc at 9:47 PM 5-21-2004

1 - 11 of 11 Posts