VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I really really want a paper version for my 1994 GLX could I get a 90-93 manual for the body/electrical and the 94-97 for the engine/mechanical? Could that work for me? Please tell me cause I am kinda used to having a paper manual in my shop when my car is in pieces. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: 1994 VR6 B3 manuals....questions (Pilotman28)

quote:[HR][/HR]If I really really want a paper version for my 1994 GLX could I get a 90-93 manual for the body/electrical and the 94-97 for the engine/mechanical? Could that work for me? Please tell me cause I am kinda used to having a paper manual in my shop when my car is in pieces. Thanks guys.[HR][/HR]​
I assume you mean the 95-97 manual, not the 94-97. The problem with that is that the 95 and later VR6 engines are different. Also, while the 90-93 manual is okay for some of the rest, there are so many changes with the VR6 engine (suspension, etc.) that aren't covered in the paper manual, and the 95-97 is a different chassis.
One of the worst things about B3 GLX's is the lack of any printed reference material that is readily available, and the extremely low quality of the Bentley CD (that *does* cover the GLX's).
You might try the Corrado manual for the engine, but the Corrado manual is $130 alone.
I understand there is a new Bentley CD of the VW microfiche files that were sent to the dealers. It's $100 and is Windows only. Of course the Service Manual CD software sucks on both Mac and PC, but it's marginally less bad on the PC side.
Even stranger, I just checked the Bentley site, and they no longer list the B3 Service Manual CD in their catalog...I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish, but that was the only damn service manual that covers these cars! Where did it go? Is the new microfiche CD so much better that the Service Manual CD is no longer necessary?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts