VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a friend who is pretty convinced about a 1997 Golf, 1.8L, 5 speed, 5 doors with 128,000kms on the clock. He was about to make an impulse buy, but i advised him to not rush into the deal, not until i consult the VW experts on this board. I am sure that plenty of you guys have owned, or have at least had pervious experience with a similar model. I just have a few simple questions.
1. Are there any things we should look out for?
2. Where were these cars built?
3. Are they generally reliable? I.e. provide trouble free motoring?
4. Are parts easy to obtain? Are the service intervals really tight?
Thanks guys. Looking forward to your replies. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Edit: The price he is trying to negotiate is around $7K cash, give or take a few hundred.

Modified by GTR at 10:14 PM 4-10-2005

· Registered
150 Posts
Re: 1997 Golf. Opinions Please. (GTR)

I sold mine few months ago.. was 97 1.8l auto CL, under 110,000km.
make sure it has 100,000k service done, and logbook .. check all panels/chassis for damage etc etc..
mine was very reliable, maintenance was a little high but those cars are slowly getting old so thats to be expected, service parts are easy to get once you know the shops to go.

· Registered
64 Posts
Re: (sirhobbit)

dont think 1.8L golf's came with electric windows...only GL 2.0's did but could be wrong
1.8L only 66kw and pretty lethargic if you are into driving...2.0 is probs a better drive
Definately make sure of the timing belt change...VW's rediculous recommended t-belt change advice of 90,000 cost me $4,000 when the belt snapped on my Beezer Cupra at 80,000....

Modified by Scoob02 at 2:16 AM 4-11-2005

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Re: (Scoob02)

Yeah, didnt think of non power windows. You have no worries then. As for $1000 per window, you got burned! It should be max $400 per window. That is what I was quoted for motor plus reg.
Scoob, no worries with timing belt. The 1.6L, 1.8L and 2.0L 8V's are different to the 16V's in that if the belt goes, the pistons cannot come into contact with the valves. They just wont touch. They cannot. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif None the less, even though it isnt an expensive repair like the 16V, it can be an irritating problem if the belt slips or snaps. My Mk1 slipped, and that was crap. I was stranded!!!
Oh, and I agree about power too. But like any VW 8V engine, torque is right where you need it. Makes it seem a bit easier then its power output would suggest, but wont be troubled with speeding fines.

Modified by Stevemk2gti at 8:42 PM 4-11-2005

· Registered
64 Posts
Re: (Stevemk2gti)

I definately agree....
We used to have a beezer Gti 8v and beezer 16v in the family at the same time...both sold now but made for an interesting comparison and i know first hand of the torque and power differences..
there's not a worse feeling than when the t-belt snaps at 70km/h...knew exactly what it was at the time...bit ironic that i was due to trade the car in that weekend, maybe she was telling me something...

· Registered
969 Posts
Re: (Scoob02)

I owned one and all I can say is it was the most reliable car Ive EVER had. It took over 200,000 klms for trouble to surface. Its apparently close to 300,000 now and still going strong with no motor or gearbox problems.. BUT I had it serviced every time at the dealer, so maintenance is important. Seems never to use its brake pads! They lasted 100,000 klms. The interior is rock solid. Not a real goer though until you get on the highway. I am considering one soon for a second car.
Replaced fuel pump and starter motor after 220,000. These are the only major items I had to replace.
Bodywork looks like a 50,000 car despite being outside continually.
Get one if its been serviced. DOnt think the Mk IV is as tough though I could be wrong. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
1.8CL = manual windows

Modified by 2003Sport at 4:22 AM 4-11-2005

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.