VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Jetta when I down shift like from 4th to third to make a turn my car sometimes feels like it is cutting out but then runs fine it only does it when it wants too. What do u think I should check I only run 87 grade gas do u think that could be a problem?? Also does that car have a fuel filter It probaly hasnt been changed for the life of car if you maybe know something please post a mess. Thanks

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (VR6POWERJETTA)

well if the car hasn't had a tune-up and it's passed 40000 miles, it's time for spark plugs, a fuel filter, air filter and the whole kit. And yeah it's always better to run higher octane gas but it shoudln't make a big difference. Do a tune-up if it hasn't been done in a while and see what happens

· Registered
245 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (Maflagulator)

I noyced a huge difference between the 87 octane and the 92 octane gas. If you ever find a gas statoin with 100 octane, no matter how expensive, try it out. It's like putting rocket fuel in your car.

· Registered
10,988 Posts

stop running 87..91+ might be a little more expensive but whats more money..a few extra center per/gallon when u fill up...or some expensive part later on down the road. I run 93 on my 97 VR motor thats in my A2. its got 88k on it now, and runs hard like a champ. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (VRpoweredA2)

besides the difference between premium and regular is only about $4 at the pump. worth it to me. If the car runs better it will also be more efficient. plus i don't want to risk running regular with a chipped VR.

· Registered
9,227 Posts

i definatly noticed a difference in how my car runs from when i bought it(had been run on 87) to now(always on 92+).

is it ok for our cars to run 100 octane? there is a gas satation here in the town i live in that i can get it at any day of the week. what types of differences will i notice?

· Registered
4,022 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (GTI8Vmn)

i am a little skeptical about 100 octane gas improving performance..
your car only requires a certain octane gas for optimum performance...say 91-93. so if u put in 87, u will definitely feel the difference, but sth like 100 octane is not gonna make your car go super fast or anything.

· Registered
56 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (VR6POWERJETTA)

I have the same year vr jetta, and premium is the only way to go. When I first bought it, I ran 87 and what a different car it was. Once you run prem., you'll never go back http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
21,983 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (jkine1)

I run 93 all the time except during the winter when the price for gas goes up 30-35 cents a gallon. But I rarely drive my car in the winter. My friend runs 94 octane all the time in his MK4 GTi VR6....the Sunnoco's(sp) in my area carry it but its to expensive.

· Registered
5,464 Posts
Re: 1997 VR6 problem (John16v)

Quote, originally posted by John16v »
well if the car hasn't had a tune-up and it's passed 40000 miles, it's time for spark plugs, a fuel filter, air filter and the whole kit. And yeah it's always better to run higher octane gas but it shoudln't make a big difference. Do a tune-up if it hasn't been done in a while and see what happens

what he said, and not only is it better to have the higher octane in your car, it's what is recommended for our engines!!!! What are you doing running around w/87 in there??? Treat your engine like it should be treated.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.