VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I'm in the process of doing some light modifications to my vehicle while preparing for a coast to coast roadtrip here in Canada.
I'm wondering, do any of you have some interesting stories of roadtrips that you've had in your VW? What kind of modifications or equipment would you recommend that I invest in prior to making this trip? Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
7,039 Posts
Re: 1999.5 GTI VR6 GLX - Coast to Coast Roadtrip! (JChapman)

Always leave some flexibility in your agenda and remember to stay alert for the unexpected. On road trips it seems like I always have a semi close/close call. Adjust your headlights, watch your oil level and air pressure and be sure to take lots of pictures!

· Registered
4th Tower of Inverness
8,897 Posts
Re: 1999.5 GTI VR6 GLX - Coast to Coast Roadtrip! (JChapman)

I'm hard core, but here's what I've done with x-country twice, and some endurance rallies as well.....
Pre-trip inspection... Belts, hoses, engine oil(change it!!!) transmission/gear oil(change it!!!) brake fluid, coolant, wiper fluid, spare tire pressure, tire wear, lug nut torque, brake pad thickness, and the condition of cv joint boots..
Mandatory take-alongs..Cell phone, AAA card, Credit card, extra set of spark plugs, and a few extra wires, medical info for driver, and passengers (including blood type), first aid kit, flashlight with extra batteries, basic tool kit with vise grips, and a rubber mallett for removing stubborn alloy rims, tire pressure gauge, spare tire, and fix-a-flat, jack, and lug wrench, bottle of water/blanket/snickers bars for everyone in the car, 2 large trash bags, rags, roll of duct tape.
Tool kit contains allen wrenches, pliers, electrical tape, adjustable wrenches large, a torque wrench, and small basic socket set, and assorted wrenches (especially an extra 10mm wrench) a small but wide board to put under the jack if you have a flat on a muddy/gravel road and screwdrivers..

Tucked up beneath the wipers, under the plastic rain shield under the hood I'll stash a quart of oil, and a bag of wire ties, fuses, and various size hose clamps as well as an extra wiper blade.
I can fit a gallon of already mixed coolant, jumper cables, a bottle of WD-40, and more motor oil in the well with the spare.
Easily reachable, I'll stash a fire extinguisher right behind the driver seat.
Carry an extra key in your wallet.
A 50 dollar bill stashed in the pages of your owners manual will help you out a of a jam, if credit cards are not accepted.
Before you go read 'on the road' by Jack Keroac. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Sepp at 2:31 AM 9-18-2005

· Registered
177 Posts
Re: 1999.5 GTI VR6 GLX - Coast to Coast Roadtrip! (Sepp)

WOW ^^ I think that about covers everything. Some of that is definitely derived from "****, I wish I had a_____" and then having it with you next time. Great list. On The Road was a nice touch, too

· Registered
4th Tower of Inverness
8,897 Posts
Re: 1999.5 GTI VR6 GLX - Coast to Coast Roadtrip! (vr6ruckus)

I have been to quite a few places here in the states, and in Canada where there isn't a service station for over 100 miles at a time.
Even then, a tow job for something stupid that you could fix with a piece of duct tape (blown radiator hose) could cost 100's of dollars.

· Registered
4,149 Posts
Re: 1999.5 GTI VR6 GLX - Coast to Coast Roadtrip! (Sepp)

thoroughly check the car before you go and replace any suspect piece (my wallet got raped in LA cuz i needed a tensioner and was 5000miles from home!)
you need to make sure your car is capable of sustaining high speeds safely as well as not blowing up. get to the praries and you'll know why. i drove across all of south dakota (all 400 miles of it) in 4 hours, including a fuel stop and breakfast, so really 3.5 do the math and you'll understand what i mean. the reason for the abuse? curiosity about v-max and the fact that if i didn't drive the **** off it i woulda died from boredom.....the praries are effin huge and flat!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.