VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm new here and this is my first post, so I hope that my questions haven't already been answered, but I had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to.

So, I have the 4 speed automatic in my 1999 jetta, and I only have 1st and 2nd gear. I bought this vehicle quite cheaply a few months ago, and I've only recently started digging into it. So, I'm just now beginning to troubleshoot, and after giving the wiring harnesses on the sensors on the trans a look see I found that my transmission range switch has a pin that is not matched by a wire on the harness. Before I start getting into the ordeal of dealing with my solenoids, or the G38 or G68 sensors or the TCU I'm just curious, could a malfunction with the TRS cause my issue? This vehicle was clearly messed with at one point, and I'm not sure if someone tried to rewire this harness and did it improperly or not.

And a second question, I've heard that Vagcom is the go to for troubleshooting VWs and I'm curious if anyone could give me a recommendation as to where I could find it cheaply. And I'm curious if anyone has any experience with using autoingenuity for their VW. I've been eyeing it some time for my F350, and I thought that it might be worth getting a package deal with the VW / Audi software as well. I dont know if it would be superior or inferior to the Vagcom system.

Thank you in advance for your input everyone!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts