VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, maybe it's the "my first kid is in kinder", but maybe it's outright incompetence already.

Our son gets home with us and tells us that at recess that he was left outside alone and that a new class came out and that the teacher for that class took him back to his class. I google'd this, and the internet is full of hate rage parents, but I saw a lot of similar stories of this ending up on the nightly news for it being a serious issue.

We didn't get a note, a call, nothing. Our son told us. Everyone thinks their kid is smart, but he's decent enough to know to tell us when something happens.

How bad is this? All we asked so far is for info from the teacher. Is anything further necessary without being "one of those people" , or am I glossing it over?

I'm kind of pissed.

I remember a lot from being about 5 or 6 years old. I never remember going anywhere in school without the class, in a line, until I was in 4th grade.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I wouldn't get too worked up over it until you speak to the teacher and see what happened and raise the concern. Then assess the situation.

On another note- starting school already??

·
Registered
23,243 Posts
We've had a couple of situations where our daughter was put on the bus when we were intending to pick her up.

In our case, she's between a couple of classes and coordinating her schedule between a mainstream class and a special ed class, as well as latchkey with a parapro. There's probably a half-dozen people involved every day, so we try not to amped about things, because regardless, in her case, she's with somebody all the time, and we stress that we need to learn something and minimize the possibility of something like that happening again.

If she were left alone, that's a different thing entirely. I'd be pretty pissed.

·
Registered
15,499 Posts
We didn't get a note, a call, nothing. Our son told us. Everyone thinks their kid is smart, but he's decent enough to know to tell us when something happens.

How bad is this? All we asked so far is for info from the teacher. Is anything further necessary without being "one of those people" , or am I glossing it over?

I'm kind of pissed.

I remember a lot from being about 5 or 6 years old. I never remember going anywhere in school without the class, in a line, until I was in 4th grade.
I wouldn't get too worked up over it until you speak to the teacher and see what happened and raise the concern. Then assess the situation.

On another note- starting school already??

About the whole "pissed" thing. I try to always "take a step back" for a second. Was there any harm done? Was there an ACTUAL risk of harm? If there was a risk, are people AWARE of the risk, and have you talked to them in a calm manner about that? You expect a call or a note. Ok. Maybe. But maybe it was such a non-event that it wasn't worth the time. "Little kid misses his class/teacher going back in, teachers miss kid, situation is rectified in minutes by other teacher on playground" No harm, no foul?

On the whole "leaving alone" thing, i'm in the air right now. My girls are 6 and 4. I send them into the back yard by themselves, play in the front yard by themselves, etc. The 6yo can ride her bike up and down the block and go play basketball by herself at the neighbor's down the street. The younger one can go with her, but not by herself. Our 2yo son is certainly of no age to be unsupervised outside of the house, and his current lack of fear may require him to be supervised for his entire life, but I expect that to change eventually.

To get on the "old man yells at clouds" bus: We have really changed as a society with regard to leaving kids alone. By the time I was 8, in the summer I would ride my bike about a mile to the pool for swim practice, then home to check in, then I could be GONE - no contact, for the entire day. When I came home from school I could check in, and be GONE for hours until dinner. this was perfectly safe and acceptable then - and it is safer to do it now, but not acceptable. Its downright wrong.

Read this. http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/08/22/490847797/why-do-we-judge-parents-for-putting-kids-at-perceived-but-unreal-risk

Should it be different in a school setting? Sure. But take a breath, step outside the personal involvement for a second - and then make the call or don't. Think about the risk you are perceiving and why you think of it that way, and then the actual risk.

If she were left alone, that's a different thing entirely. I'd be pretty pissed.
In your case I would think that it is warranted, if she is specifically supposed to have an aide/assistant with her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts