VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going in for my first test. Car has been tuned up, just concerned if the chip could cause any issues. I know it's not supposed to, just wondered if anyone has had any fluke incidents. TIA

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (dubboy1)

I passed mine 3 days ago. I switched back to my stock airbox because I could have failed a visual inspection since my crankcase breather did not vent back into the intake. The BMC and Carbonio intakes instead vent to atmosphere via a small breather filter. This is technically illegal so be aware if you use a similar intake.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (MitStandardUndTurbo!)

thanx for the info
but my question is that will aftermarket 2.5 inches turbo back exhaust pass the e-test no problem?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (iamfob)

Quote, originally posted by iamfob »
thanx for the info
but my question is that will aftermarket 2.5 inches turbo back exhaust pass the e-test no problem?

it does not matter what type of exhaust you have, as long as there are no holes in it.
You can even get away with NO muffler, it should still pass, assuming there are no holes. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (independent77)

If you're exhaust pops a CEL or an emissions related code I think they're supposed to fail you.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as a quick update to this incase anybody does a search, the car got 0.000% on everything except the idle test where it got a 2 (out of a possible 150 to fail...) on the hydrocarbons. It's really no more than a money grab for the government to be testing cars this new. The techs told me in the entire time they've been doing it, they've only seen one car newer than a '97 fail.....

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (independent77)

**** it my friend go in with his catless car and ask for a friend and he gives him the paper without seeing his car

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The whole process was a joke. The guy doing the visual inspection was more interested in asking me about the car than checking anything. He then asked me to pull it into the bay since "(he) doesn't drive stick too good." Once the car was in the bay, he tried to put 41psi of air into the tires, since anything less would "make the tires go bald." After threatening to punch him if he put that much air into my tires, he scraped the bottom of the car pulling it onto the rollers, then entered the car as a 2.0l into the computer. I told him it wasn't a 2.0l, and he asked me "are you sure?" My blood pressure was VERY high as I handed over my $35....

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (dubboy1)

I go to Trotters in Hamilton. Great guys, no bulll and they try to get you passed. Guy wasn't uptight about the little hole (very very small) I had before the muffler. He ran the car for a good 5 minutes and then preformed the test once it was nice and hot.
I failed the first time due to a bad catalytic. This was no surprise on a 13 yr old car. Replacing the catalytic and a return visit passed the car with flying colors!

A well maintained and properly tuned car should last even longer then that with its catalytic.
The test is done at idle and once at speed at 40km/h. The chip should nolonger play a role in maintaining a cruising speed. Fueling and boost should be at around stock levels?? Correct me if I am wrong though.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (.:: dropFROG ::.)

I passed emission in January with my Turbo VR.
wastegate was open dump, guess they didnt' see that. I had the breather filter on, they didn't see that, i guess??

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 1st emission test, anyone had issues with a chipped 1.8T failing??? (.:: dropFROG ::.)

Quote, originally posted by .:: dropFROG ::. »

The test is done at idle and once at speed at 40km/h. The chip should nolonger play a role in maintaining a cruising speed. Fueling and boost should be at around stock levels?? Correct me if I am wrong though.
I believe that you're right. I wasn't sure going into the test how the car was checked. Running at 40kmh solid doesn't produce any boost/fueling levels beyond what the stock ECU would be running anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts