VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New R32. Anyone have a good grip on the idea of changing the oil at 500 miles? Should I? If so, should I go to a synthetic?
thanks

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (Hitman)

bump for a good question...i'm right at 500 now.
Owners manuals often give info that keeps the maintanence costs down and aren't always ideal for the life of the engine....so no "read the owners manual" comments.

·
Registered
187 Posts

do not use synthetic oil yet, your rings will never seat. You should wait until you have at least 4000-5000 miles. And 500 miles oil change seems abit soon. Maybe 1000-2000 miles for the first one.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (human29)

You know - the funny thing is VWoA added a 5,000 mile oil change ONLY in the US because people here change their oil so often. Changing your oil at 500 miles isn't going to help at all and in fact could hurt more than it helps. If you want information on oil etc. go to
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
of course this is only IF you want to learn more about oil and debunk alot of the "more oil changes are better" attitudes that people have.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (FLY-GTI1)

Quote, originally posted by FLY-GTI1 »
There's not much of a consensus on that site either.

Well since it's a discussion board, you need to weed through stuff and find the pertinent information. If you look at the oil analysis's prepared on the various different oils - at various different intervals, you will see that most of them show little to no deterioration and in fact would be good for up to 10k miles. Obviously your driving habits, climate etc. will have an impact on this but the bottom line is that changing your oil more frequently than 5k or even 7.5k is pretty much a waste of oil and is not protecting your engine any better.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts

u should change your oil every 5000 because the oil filter doesn't even begin to break in until 3000 and changing your oil to much might actually hurt the motor and do not switch to synthetic til 10,000

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

JEEZUS ****ING CHRIST YOU GUYS ARE DUMB...
You change the oil after the first 500 miles because there is a lot of metal particulates that gather in the first 500 miles an engine is run. Change your oil if you want your motor to live after the first 500 miles, then go to regularly shechdualed oil changes... every 3000 miles, or in my case with an aftermarket turbo every 1500

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That has to be the most retarded comment I have ever heard in response to a question. There is no need for the "500" mile break in oil change in a new engine. The manufacturer states 5000 miles for the first oil change. The machining tolerances are a lot closer on factory new engine, and hatching in the cylinders is a lot better. There will be very little if any metal shavings in your oil if you change it at 500 miles. I pulled a sample at roughly 600 miles and sent it in for analysis at our local lab (Army AOAP), they said that the oil looked new, little to no particulates, and NO metal what so ever. I also had a chance to look at a few samples under the scope, and compare to new oil, there is little difference between the 2. I for one will change the oil at 5000 miles, service with Amsoil synthetic, and then change oil every 7500-10000 miles. During this time I will pull samples and check them at the lab as well. I guarantee that they will look no different than the other samples of clean oil.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: (Dr. James)

How many motors have you built\broken in, I am guessing maybe 1 maybe...
So you sent a small oil sample to a company... when I build\break in a motor, after the first 500 miles I pull the pan and have the oil system flushed... You are right the machining tollerences are much tighter, therefore there is going to be metal in the motor, why do you think when you shut off a new motor it shuts off, there is no 1/4-1/2 a second between when the motor dies and the exhaust note ends... The motor is tighter, the parts need to break in, and by break in they mean wear, and start to machine themselves together... and how do they do that? By removing metal... And where does that metal go? Into your oil. When you seat new piston rings, they ride on the crosshatch, and slowly wear it off... Guess what crosshatch is made of metal also
SO please, go to someother forum and help someone pick out the best cold air intake for their car
, do not give advice on things you know not

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (BubonicCorrado)

Quote, originally posted by BubonicCorrado »

Lighten up Francis

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (FLY-GTI1)

Quote, originally posted by FLY-GTI1 »

Lighten up Francis

I dont have much a tollerance for people poluting our forums with hearsay, and things that they have "tested" which the testing was done by a friend of a freind who heard about a guy who once new a guy who...
But yeah... Sorry for the overboardness of my previous post

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (BubonicCorrado)

Quote, originally posted by BubonicCorrado »
You change the oil after the first 500 miles because there is a lot of metal particulates that gather in the first 500 miles an engine is run. Change your oil if you want your motor to live after the first 500 miles, then go to regularly shechdualed oil changes... every 3000 miles, or in my case with an aftermarket turbo every 1500

THANK YOU, the voice of reason. Maybe it isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary to change oil at 500, but you know what, for the 20-30 bucks it cost me it's cheap insurance for my new 30K CAR!!! Just in case there is trash from assembly/manufacturing left in the engine or metal from breakin.

Don't believe? the next new car/bike/boat whatever you buy. change the oil after 500 miles and cut open the oil filter.

Modified by 6teenv at 4:05 PM 3-10-2004

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (6teenv)

Quote, originally posted by 6teenv »
Maybe it isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary to change oil at 500, but you know what, for the 20-30 bucks it cost me it's cheap insurance for my new 30K CAR!!! Just in case there is trash from assembly/manufacturing left in the engine or metal from breakin.

I basically agree with you. However, there is one scenario in which it could actually be not bad (or at least not optimal) to change the oil well before 5,000 miles, and that would be if VW ships R32s with a special break-in oil that they expect to be left in the engine for the first 5,000 miles or so. I'm not saying that this is the case, but some time back, I remember one person on the GTI VR6 Library swearing that some very high-level tech person at VW told him that the oil shipped with VR6 engines was special and meant to be kept in the engine for the first 7.500 miles.
Take this with a grain of salt, as always.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I just picked up my R32. After looking over the manual I get the impression that the car is factory filled with synthetic oil, 5W-40. They don't come out and say it but reading between the lines you can see that they stongly suggest that you use a synthetic oil.
I have not decided when I'll do the first change yet. But the question comes up what weight to use as 5W-40 synthetic is not really available here unless you use Shell Rotella diesel synthetic 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 also a synthetic.
I was thinking of using Mobil 1 red cap 15W-50. Question, were is the filter? I'm thinking that it is under the engine. It looks like the belly cover has to be removed first. What is involved here?
Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (bmwdavid)

Quote, originally posted by bmwdavid »
I have not decided when I'll do the first change yet. But the question comes up what weight to use as 5W-40 synthetic is not really available here unless you use Shell Rotella diesel synthetic 5W-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 also a synthetic.

You can buy Valvoline synthetic 5W40 online at http://www.oil-store.com/ (link courtesy of Ian).
Question, were is the filter? I'm thinking that it is under the engine. It looks like the belly cover has to be removed first. What is involved here?!

To remove the belly cover, you just need to remove the 4 Torx screws holding it on (I think they take a T25 bit). If you've seen the underside of a 2.8L VR6 engine, you'll recognize the oil filter cover right away. First remove the drain plug in the center of the filter cover to let the oil drain out, then remove the filter cover itself using a 36mm socket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (bmwdavid)

I just picked up my R32. After looking over the manual I get the impression that the car is factory filled with synthetic oil, 5W-40. They don't come out and say it but reading between the lines you can see that they stongly suggest that you use a synthetic oil.

For what it's worth, my Audi TT 3.2 came from the factory with normal oil, not synthetic. It got changed to Mobil 1 at the 5k service.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (lkfoster)

Interesting about the oil in your 3.2TT. I guess I was hoping the R32 had synthetic as a factory fill. I'll be changing my oil at around 1,500 miles assuming it has regular petro. oil in it. I'm going to run either Valvoline super syn. 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40. Either of these meet VW's 502 00 and ACEA A3 rating.
David

1 - 20 of 43 Posts