VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (bmwdavid)

Quote, originally posted by bmwdavid »
I guess I was hoping the R32 had synthetic as a factory fill.

Your hopes are probably right. The owner's manual says that R32s are shipped with 5W-40 oil, and only fully synthetic oil is available in that weight.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (Kenji)

Kenji,
That's what I was thinking, 5W-40 only comes in a synthetic as far as I know. When the time comes for an oil change I'm not sure what brand I will use. Either Mobil 1 0W-40
or Castrol Syntec 5W-40. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is factory fill for Porsche and Mercedes AMG cars. The Castrol product came out in response to VW's needs. I have many years and miles of experience with Mobil 1 products so this is probably what I will use. Plus it is available at my local Autozone store.
David

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

Kenji,
That's what I was thinking, 5W-40 only comes in a synthetic as far as I know. When the time comes for an oil change I'm not sure what brand I will use. Either Mobil 1 0W-40
or Castrol Syntec 5W-40. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is factory fill for Porsche and Mercedes AMG cars. The Castrol product came out in response to VW's needs. I have many years and miles of experience with Mobil 1 products so this is probably what I will use. Plus it is available at my local Autozone store.
David

I'd use either Mobil 5-30 or 0-40 but not Syntec. If you can find the German Castrol 0-30 get that.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I know this is slightly off topic. I am trying to find out what the trans axle, rear final drive diff., and the haldex box are filled with. There is no mention in the VW manual for my R32 on changing any of these fluids. What is the consensus of the membership on changing these fluids vs. leaving them in per VW?
Thanks!
David

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

I know this is slightly off topic. I am trying to find out what the trans axle, rear final drive diff., and the haldex box are filled with. There is no mention in the VW manual for my R32 on changing any of these fluids. What is the consensus of the membership on changing these fluids vs. leaving them in per VW?
Thanks!
David

The tranny and diff are filled with synthetic from the factory which never really needs to be changed. If you do - go with Redline MT-90. The Haldex takes a special fluid and requires special tools to be replaced. It should be serviced every 20k. There is special wrench, and a gun that looks like a caulking gun which a tube of fluid which is injected into the haldex. You can buy the tools and do it yourself.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

Joe,
Thanks for the tip! Whats the deal with Castrol Syntec?
David

Syntec is not a full synthetic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? ([email protected])

Joe,
Again many thanks for your answers! Perhaps I will rethink the first oil change and do it a little later. I still can't get myself to wait until 5,000 miles for the first change. Although I do change it after the first change at 5,000 mile or one year intervals which ever comes first.
I believe I will use Mobil 1 0W-40 oil. If it is good enough for Porsche and AMG factory fill then it should be fine for our R32's.
As for the trans axle and rear differential I will probably change the fluids at 25,000-30,000 mile intervals. I will take your advice and use Red Line MT-90 for refill. As for the Haldex unit I will probably let the dealer do this unless I come up with the tools needed as you mentioned. Were can I get these tools? What about the filter on the Haldex unit? Should this be changed with the fluid at the 20,000 mile service interval? If you know, what is the Haldex fluid anyway?
Thanks!
David

·
Registered
574 Posts

umm...dont oil filters catch nasty things like metal 'shavings' and 'particles'..? i have rebuilt countless engines of all makes and displacements (i work for an engine remanufacturer) and it makes no sense to change oil on a brand new engine after 500 miles, none.
secondly, if you are going to switch over to synthetic do so after your first 'scheduled' oil change. new engines need wear in order to seal properly. petroleum based oils provide enough protection and enough friction to let this happen, synthetics dont. you should only fully change synthetic after 10000+ miles on it (average driving) (you'll need to add oil before you do a full change as the motor will consume some within this time period) i would be more concerned with replacing the filter more often during this time period (on an american car) but not a VW. the filter design and area will provide more than enough for proper flow-through during this 10000+ mile time period even while becoming slightly 'dirty'.
hope this all helps. not trying to start an argument, just providing some information
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (harryzwd)

Harry,
In regard to waiting to use synthetic oil until 10,000 miles. It is believed that our R32's come factory filled with a synthetic. Porsche, AMG, Corvette, Viper, M3, and others come factory filled with synthetic oil. I think that it really is a myth that you need to wait to switch over to a synthetic. I've always in the past done my first oil change at 500-1000 miles on either my cars or motorcycles and put in a synthetic at this point. All of my engines have been oil use free and run great.
Just my two cents worth.
David

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

We started carrying Motul oil at the dealer where I work. Its a 5w40, 505.01 Specific oil

We also have the Castrol Syntec 5w40 and the Castrol 505.01 special oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: 1st oil change? (harryzwd)

My dealer told me that the oil contained break-in fluids and that it shouldn't be changed it till the 5k service.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Harry,
In regard to waiting to use synthetic oil until 10,000 miles. It is believed that our R32's come factory filled with a synthetic. Porsche, AMG, Corvette, Viper, M3, and others come factory filled with synthetic oil. I think that it really is a myth that you need to wait to switch over to a synthetic. I've always in the past done my first oil change at 500-1000 miles on either my cars or motorcycles and put in a synthetic at this point. All of my engines have been oil use free and run great.
Just my two cents worth.
David

Cars that come filled from the factory with synth oils have to run synth oils, their bearings clearances are tighter for use with synth oils, if your car came with dino juice, wait about 10k miles before you switch...

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Re: (BubonicCorrado)

Quote, originally posted by BubonicCorrado »
How many motors have you built\broken in, I am guessing maybe 1 maybe...
So you sent a small oil sample to a company... when I build\break in a motor, after the first 500 miles I pull the pan and have the oil system flushed... You are right the machining tollerences are much tighter, therefore there is going to be metal in the motor, why do you think when you shut off a new motor it shuts off, there is no 1/4-1/2 a second between when the motor dies and the exhaust note ends... The motor is tighter, the parts need to break in, and by break in they mean wear, and start to machine themselves together... and how do they do that? By removing metal... And where does that metal go? Into your oil. When you seat new piston rings, they ride on the crosshatch, and slowly wear it off... Guess what crosshatch is made of metal also
SO please, go to someother forum and help someone pick out the best cold air intake for their car
, do not give advice on things you know not

How many new cars could you have possibly owned at 19?
A 500 mile oil change is not very useful. Metal particles?? What's the purpose of the oil filter, then? You're not going to see chunks of metal in the oil. Sure, you'll see metal if you send it to an oil analysis lab, but they're going to be subvisible particles. They won't do any damage.
Want proof? My first oil change on my current VR6 was at 5000 miles. It has 79,000 miles and, miraculously, it still works. In fact, with the Amsoil that I have been using, I change the oil every 8-10k miles with a filter change in-between.
Let's see if that gets you all worked up.

Modified by Max Rebo at 4:29 PM 4-13-2004

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Re: (BubonicCorrado)

1) I'm not a n00b.
2) Provide more details in your reply, which is typical of a 19-year-old.
The particles may cause some wear, but how significant can actual *damage* be? Not that much if, for instance, my car is still running as good as ever after 5 years with a good maintenance routine.
Perhaps you should grow up and offer some constructive criticism instead of calling me a n00b? M'kay? Thanks for being a "good sport."

Modified by Max Rebo at 12:45 AM 4-14-2004

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: (Max Rebo)

Quote, originally posted by Max Rebo »
1) I'm not a n00b.
2) Provide more details in your reply, which is typical of a 19-year-old.
The particles may cause some wear, but how significant can actual *damage* be? Not that much if, for instance, my car is still running as good as ever after 5 years with a good maintenance routine.
Perhaps you should grow up and offer some constructive criticism instead of calling me a n00b? M'kay? Thanks for being a "good sport."

You said something stupid... So I called you a n00b... You were trying to correct me on a subject that I have had beat into my head since age 5 by my father, and an assortment of engine builders...
Congrats... I'm glad your motor has lived that long, now tear down a motor along side yours that has gone through the identical maintence + the 500 mile oil change, and you will see significantly less wear on the main\cam\rod bearings on the motor that changed the oil after 500 miles... the engine lives longer, and will make more power longer... tiny bits of metal work like sand papper inside your motor, trust me the filter doesn't catch everything
If you don't believe me I don't really give a ****...
My motor will last longer when all is said and done

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Hey, no need to get your undies in a bunch. I wasn't aware that you had been learning this stuff for so long. I also don't deny what you wrote. I did some further reading and learned a bit. But with your attitude, you probably could care less.
Whether or not I believe you or if I'm right or wrong is not the issue now. It pisses me off when people start flaming away without offering any supporting information to help the discussion -- as you did. But then you don't care, so my typing is wasted, I guess.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts