VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on our 3rd window regulator for the pass door, the original broke after 13 harsh years and 107 miles. To replace it I bought a used one on marketplace which broke after 2 months (perhaps due to frozen ice), then this last I just got used on ebay, which only lasted 1st run (was shipped folded over and twisted cables so that probably didn't help).

I am finished with buying used....rebuild kits on amazon require modification. Really frustrating as this sidelines car since the convertibles need the window drop feature to open door.

ECS tuning $534.08 taxed and shipped free (shipment delayed, no eta)
$533.87 quirkparts on ebay shipped;

Anywhere else I should check...this would be the most expensive part I've replaced on the car to date.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after all this trying to find new I took a try and went with an Genuine VW OEM repair kit I found on Amazon. Its working great so far and we've been using it quite a bit in all types of weather both warm and freezing cold. I did a fair amount of testing that it went up and down smoothly, and found pinch in the rubber weather-strip carrier by the mirror which probably hadn't helped my previous repair attempts.

Amazon

As the buyer comments indicate you do need to trim one of the cables a bit to get it installed. There just isn't enough slack in the cable to get it over the pullies. Just follow the instructions an trim the cable sheath about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch paying careful attention to not nick the cables.

Kit includes the 3 cables necessary, the real and the real housing, zip ties, grommets etc. I'll take $66 kit vs the $530-800 assembly any day. There really is no reason to not try to repair this yourself, if you can remove the assembly you can do this repair.

Now that the passenger door is sorted, I just need to fix the driver door window drop feature when opening the door to clear the convertible top.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have good luck with the repair kit, which replaces the parts that typically wear out, break and they are the way to go, for a more cost effective solution.

Have you tried the adjustments and do the reset procedure? Once, i did those, adjustment, reset steps; then, the auto adjust feature, started working again, as it should.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have good luck with the repair kit, which replaces the parts that typically wear out, break and they are the way to go, for a more cost effective solution.

Have you tried the adjustments and do the reset procedure? Once, i did those, adjustment, reset steps; then, the auto adjust feature, started working again, as it should.
Do you mean the mechanical adjustments which align the glass in-ward in out-ward (the two slide bolts in the door jamb) and then the other which adjust the physical height as shown in this video at minute 9:38 or so...BentleyPublishers_Video

Also, what is the reset procedure? Please do tell :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks billymade, I really appreciate you finding this, I must have missed this in all my web searches. Armed with that video I tried the reset....sadly it didn't work....but I have a theory....

In this 2007 example the windows don't seem to function when attempting to activate the "door in key and hold to left or right feature" to get all windows down/ up...but let's not worry about that for now, because it might be something else not working because another somewhat related issue.

I just discovered that when simply opening the driver door (the problem door where window drop isn't staying dropped) also doesn't activate the interior light either, however the passenger (with working window drop) does engage the interior light. This would indicate to me the control system isn't ever getting a signal the driver door is being opened. This would explain why when you hit the key fob unlock the window drops for a few seconds...you the open door...and the window then pops back up instead of staying down until you close the door. The system never knows the door is open....so knowing this it 'could' be the door latch. The good passenger door simply doesn't behave this way and the interior light goes on.

So possibly replace the driver door latch mechanism and see what happens...make sense? This might not solve why turning key in door doesn't roll all windows down or up. I can live without that, but this dance of timing the key fob unlock button to get window to drop to get the door open/closed is getting really really old.

Make sense?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The door lock modules; are commonly worn and microswitches bad, which causes all kinds of electrical problems with the comfort control modules. To make this even more erratic; at times, the solder joints get cracked and may work or not, intermittently.

Check these links; which show the problems for the mark iv lock modules and how people attempt to fix the common failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Pinpointing the problem, would be made easier; though the use of a vw factory scan tool, to read trouble codes, view live data and confirm, the door status for “open/closed”, is being read correctly.

When, my door lock module was bad; there was a vw specific trouble code, for the bad microswitches and i was able to read this with vcds.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You the man! Thanks so much

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ebay part (which was genuine OEM) arrived tuesday and was installed same day. This did solve all the door/window problems this car has ever had. So happy to finally have this sorted.

So now on the next repair...PA state inspection revealed a clapped out suspension...raising another post for that.

Thanks again for the input here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts