VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a passat for $500 its a 91 with 120k on it and it also has a rebuilt head...id like to swap it into my rabbit but I know there are some issues with the ECU and other wiring stuff.....if anyone has done one let me know....or maybe even post up some pics....I couldnt find anything in search. Thanks ahead for any info.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (andyveedub)

Try scirocco.org,they have a really good tech article on motronic-into-a1,also go to the hybrid/swap forum on here and look around.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (vwpat)

thats good to know. Is the CIS better than switching to the CIS-E Motronic or whatever goes with the 2.0 16v? Because other than that I dont see what could be TOO difficult about the swap. Anyone have any other info about it that they would like to fill me in on?

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

I'd recommend switching over to cis-e(either 'rocco or golf/jetta) or cis-e motronic,on the basis that the rabbit cis can barely supply enough fuel for a 1.8 8v motor,let alone a 2.0 16v. A friend and I sorted out a swap done with a 1.8 16v running on 8v cis,no amount of tweaking we did made any difference-we had to convert it to cis-e to get the car to run right.
And,the US-spec 8v cis isn't "the same as euro 16v cis" either. The 16v "euro" injection uses a much richer fuel curve than anything we ever got here. Another vortexer,can't remember who,had a problem with the euro setup running way too rich,don't know if they ever solved it. And,since you're gonna have to wire up a knock box anyway,why not splice 2-3 more wires and use cis-e?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (vr6swap)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd recommend switching over to cis-e(either 'rocco or golf/jetta) or cis-e motronic,on the basis that the rabbit cis can barely supply enough fuel for a 1.8 8v motor,let alone a 2.0 16v. A friend and I sorted out a swap done with a 1.8 16v running on 8v cis,no amount of tweaking we did made any difference-we had to convert it to cis-e to get the car to run right.
And,the US-spec 8v cis isn't "the same as euro 16v cis" either. The 16v "euro" injection uses a much richer fuel curve than anything we ever got here. Another vortexer,can't remember who,had a problem with the euro setup running way too rich,don't know if they ever solved it. And,since you're gonna have to wire up a knock box anyway,why not splice 2-3 more wires and use cis-e?[HR][/HR]​
I recommend using the Motronic since you have it but it can be made to work fine with CIS, unless you are making more than ~170 HP.
I never said the US CIS is the same as euro
I said the CPR mounts on the side of the head when using CIS, US or euro. BTW eurotrashrabbit.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

The wiring for this swap is pretty straight forward, about twenty wires total that need to be soldered and shrinkwrapped into the existing wiring....don't let the wiring deter you from this, if anything should deter you, it should be the cost....plan on spending anywhere from 1000-2000 on "other" parts you'll need.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (vr6swap)

quote:[HR][/HR]Another vortexer...[HR][/HR]​
That was me.
The car in question, my brother's 2.0 16v/euro CIS/KS ignition has been running quite well. We never really changed anything since that dyno run when it showed it was fattening up up top.
What's this about a Saab distributor???

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (bluerrrabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]
What's this about a Saab distributor???[HR][/HR]​
82-85 Saab 900 8V dizzy fits right in, and is electronic vs. the points type Polo dizzy.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts

I set up some 16V swap links on my web page. I'd go Motronic, hands down, any day.
Jim

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (jpawl)

thanks fot the info....I'd like to have sufficient fueling (haha that would be nice) but I dont know exactly what I have to hook up and what have you so untill then I guess I might be going cis or cis-e untill I figure it out....but I want to do it right the first time so who knows. If I could talk to someone who has dont it I will DEFINITELY go motronic but well see.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts

The scirocco.org tech article is down. Check out this dyno chart of CIS vs Motronic: http://www.netacc.net/~brett/bv-99vs2k.jpg
After seeing that, why would you not bother with Motronic?
Jim

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: 2.0 16V A1 swap whos done one???? (hadaki)

Quote, originally posted by hadaki »
Yes ,you use the CIS system but you need ICU module (knock sensor
control unit)
I used it for my Rabitt GTi running a 9a 16v 2.0l

WTF? Your reply is a post that was 2 years and 3 months ago!!!
That's [email protected]#$in hilarious

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.